ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

v-maxx seized and locking ring getting mashed when removing

172, vectra dti
Righty o then,

we bought ( she who must be obeyed ) the little monster from spongebob just over a year ago. After a year of driving she had decided its a little to low and could i raise it up a little bit! Any way the backs were a walk in the park 40 mins with a make shift tool kit on a hill and woo hoo it was done. Now for the fun.
The fronts looked no problem i had the help of a couple of willing assistants ( and the statutory tea maker ;) ) and we spent 2.5 hours half a can of wd40 several smashed knuckles and bruise on the funny bone!!!! ( why? its just not funny :nono:) and a spring clamp flying off as one of the chuffing assistants epically failed! Anyhoo we give up as it s getting dark and decided to get some plus gas penetrating and releasing spray. after another 1/2 can and nearly 3 hours we had moved it 1/4 turn and 1 burnt hand from tipping tea on it. The blue locking ring is now a little mashed from trying to force it around and the c spanner if a pile of pointless crap! :lolup:

Is there any advice you gurus of clio wisdom can give to getting this thing off?

Does anyone know if you can get replacement locking rings for v - maxx if so where from as i have searched through ebay and tinternet? or alternatively will any other manufacturers locking rings fit? as i have found Bilstein ones and also ones on a capri site lol.

I ideally want to get this sorted this weekend as i am off for 4 days and its so frustrating that it won't move currently. :mad:

CBR1000RR Fireblade
My solution will work however it is abit of a pain to do.

You need to remove both front struts and place them carefully in a vice, then hack saw the adjustment rings off carefully. Once removed then attack the threads with wd40 and a wire brush. V maxx do sell separate parts for their coilover kits. How ever they are not cheap, you want to speak to Gary from motor sport world. Iirc he can get separate parts for the v maxx.

172, vectra dti
thanks for the reply

i had a feeling that it was going to get messy.

I will try and find Gary's details and see about the cost.

Thanks again

172, vectra dti
Scrooge,

That is exactly whats going to happen this weekend.

I spoke to Motorsport world and apparently they only do the kits!!!! i tried going online as they have a facility to live chat with Garry and he didn't answer my query.

i have just spoken to The Performance Company based in Wellingborough Northants, i spoke to Matt who was incredibly helpful he has sold me 2 pairs of the locking rings which is 1 for each side and ordered before 16:00 they deliver next day.

top geezer.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
If you use a blunt enough chisel you should loosen the rings without damaging them.