ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 advice

hello guys,

im planning to buy a mk1 clio V6 in early july but having not driven one before, id like to question its performance.

my coleague has an 04 reg golf R32. now i have to say the golf is easily the slowest "hot hatch" ive ever been in and doesnt even reach 60mph in 2nd gear. how the mags claim 0-60 in 6.4 is beyond me as it needs 3rd gear, and he could only get a 15.4 1/4 mile at north weald.

questions:

is the clio the same in performance i.e not reaching 60 in 2nd?

what do i need to look out for when i go and view one, mileage will be below 10k.

ill be using the car as my everyday car as its all i will have. sod the boot space and turning circle, the looks and exclusivity are well worth it, just wondering about the performance.

also, if anybody in essex owns one, id love to take a look and maybe get a drive in it... :)

mk2 172

not reaching 60 in 2nd isnt a bad thing,can mean uv got a nice set of closely stacked gears, couple that with plenty of grunt and yove got power at whatever speed out of the corners, my motor does over 70 in second at 8k rpm and i wish the gears were closer

Clio v6

MK1 V6

PERFORMANCE
0-100 kph / 0-62 mph 6.4 secs
Maximum speed 147 mph

Volkswagen Golf R32
0 to 62 mph takes only 6.4 seconds, while the top speed, where permitted, is 152 mph. The narrow-angle six cylinder unit develops its peak power at 6250 rpm, with maximum torque of 236 lbs ft produced at just 2800 rpm.

mk2 172

no its a saxo vts on throttle bodies, i could plug it into my computer and give it more revs to make it go faster in each gear but i dont think it would last long at 9k :), 8 is the best compromise, i wish my gears were closer to make better use of the power band which would lower the in gear speed capability, 0-100 is the test you wanna look at imo to gague performance, or maybe even 120

in my book, if a car cant hit 60 in 2nd, then it aint for me. besides, my colleague is on he windup about his golf being in a different league, and if the clio can do his car then ill finally shut him up!

Tell ya what then, buy my 172 on throttle bodies..... itll do over 60 in 2nd, hell itll do 120+ in 4th and keep climbing beyond 148mph....

Now thatd teach him a lesson ;-)

lol, that would show him.

every car ive owned has done 60 in 2nd, your probably wondering why i care, but i have a point to prove to a golf owner that kids himself into thinking his car is fast and wont stop going on about it !

somebody please answer this question for me..

ur answer, is yes... mine does about 65 in second or there abouts. But, as far as wanting an ass ripping car, standard form its not lightening quick, 0-60 on paper isnt much faster than a 182. (but dont get me wrong, it doesnt hang around) But its in a different league as far as looks and exclusiveness and the roar of that V6 beind u, thats enough to keep u smiling. Also...make sure u use Optimax and ull shave some time off that 0-60. Ull get it to go sub 6 secs.

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 12 June 2004
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">is yours a v6? over 70mph! is that standard?

http://www.zeperfs.freesurf.fr/duel.php?IdA=325&IdB=1025

The figures are the average times of French car magazines listed on the site.

The accelerations figures of the V6 show the disastrous settings of the 1.9 DCI PK gearbox with unchanged ratios.
With the MK2 gearbox, figures should have been better.

Someone I know has fitted the Mk2 gearbox in his Mk1, he told me He immediatly felt the difference.
The gearbox is esay to fit.

Yes, agreed... gearing is one of the weak links in the chain for the mk1, shame we cant do a side by side comparison and see what the results would be on the mk1, with the standard gearbox and then with the mk2 gearbox fitted.

deuginthesky, how much could u get the mk2 gearbox for mate? Not sure how much it would be from here either?

iwantaV6... where abouts in Essex are you? (what do u currenty drive?)

ALSO.. what to look for? Get an HPI check for starters.. find out if its been used on track days? It will have a bit more wear and tear if it has. Id make sure the tyres are in good nick as well.. as they are not cheap. Generally the mechanics are pretty reliable. You should be fine with a under 10k mileage V6.

Mark 1 Clio V6

Performance wise the Golf is probably the same as a mark1 vee.

In all other areas (with the possible exception of interior/practicality) the V6 beats the Golf hands down.

im in romford, essex.

my last car was a fiat coupe 20v turbo plus. that thing did 76 in second and was very quick. ate his r32 for breakfast!

im getting desperate to have a go in the clio now, but i dont want to go viewing just to test ride the cars.

Quote: Originally posted by V6ing on 13 June 2004
Yes, agreed... gearing is one of the weak links in the chain for the mk1, shame we cant do a side by side comparison and see what the results would be on the mk1, with the standard gearbox and then with the mk2 gearbox fitted. deuginthesky, how much could u get the mk2 gearbox for mate? Not sure how much it would be from here either?

I will ask, at worst I will have the answer next weekend.
Remember that if you want a bill I have pay for VAT, it will be 21% more (Belgium VAT).

I have no idea of the UK price.

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 13 June 2004
Performance wise the Golf is probably the same as a mark1 vee.In all other areas (with the possible exception of interior/practicality) the V6 beats the Golf hands down.

The R32 is quite fast on the track, but soooooooooo boring according to what Ive read.

Cr*ppy Haldex.

No electronics on the Clio, best way to learn on the track and improve someone skills.

The R32 is nothing than a powerfull Golf with chassis mods, the Clio V6 is a UFO. 1661 units have been made, 10s of them crashed, which do you think will be a classic ?

Clio of course !

guys,

news!

my mates R32 got beaten today by my other mates MK2 8v gti! he couldnt believe that he lost in his £25k golf! they are seriously slow...i reckon the 1.8T will kill it. im unsure how the mags can rave aobut it being fast.

i am hopefully going to look at some clios this week to get a drive to finally make up my mind.

your right about the UFO statement, ive only ever seen 2 on the road!

drove a v6 yesterday and ive decided that i am going to buy one. wasnt lightning quick, but quick enough and as a total package its perfect.

the engine noise is amazing!

a few Qs,

1. should it body roll on bends or stay taught?

2. looking at the engine, is there an oil level dipstick or not? how would you check your oil?

going to buy one in the next week hopefully!

cheers

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Your mates 8v GTi must be well modded then, either that or your other mates R32 has something seriously wrong with it, the R32 will more than likely be quicker than your V6 to 100 and above also.

have you driven one?

they are slow! his car is 04 reg 7k old and the mk2 has just an exhaust and K&N nd it sailed past him.

the R32 needs a good launch to get any where fast. it does 58 in 2nd, and just feels restricted and gutless through the rev range. he is opting for the AMD 300bhp conversion now for £2k. im confident the clio will take the golf after being in one.

funnily enough, he had a go with a subaru, the newest shape and it flew past him. golf is a tank that loses too many horses through the 4WD.

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

This thing to 60 intrigues me - does everyone seriously hit 60 and back off!!!

Maybe we should all worry about 0-30 and back off and decide if we get there first our car is fastest!!!

Or 65 mph and make everyone change gear again!!!

Its an arbitrary figure - lift the rev limiter if you need to - most cars can take the extra 500rpm to get from 58 - 60!

Yours, conciderably more concerned about getting from 30 to 150, going round corners and stopping,

Mike

and another thing, the MK2 does 61.6 at 7000rpm and the Mk1 does 66.6 - the taller first and lower second are what makes it quicker - not the bhp which is largely killed by the extra weight of the Mk2.

So Mk2 box in and it goes quicker - Hoorah!

Mike

mike,

the 0-60 times is a simple gauge of how the car performs. if the golf takes engaging to 3rd to hit the 60 mark then how exactly does it hit 60 in 6.4 secs?

gearing is extremely important when meaasuring 0-60 times. the golf doesnt have the gearing to do it, therefore IMO not the supercar it claims to be.

ofcourse it isnt all about 0-60, but it matters just as much as 0-100, 1/4 mile runs etc. i want t get enough info about the clio as possible before i buy one so if im asking questions that you find pointless then you dont need to read or comment on them, but £17k is alot of money to part with if the car doesnt meet my total requirements.

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 20 June 2004mike, the 0-60 times is a simple gauge of how the car performs. if the golf takes engaging to 3rd to hit the 60 mark then how exactly does it hit 60 in 6.4 secs?

So youre saying you think that if its gears were lengthened to allow 60mph in 2nd, then you could accept a 0-60 time of 6.4 seconds?! If it can do 60mph in 6.4 seconds and that includes a gear change into 3rd, then its a pretty quick car. See Civic Type R for the same thing. Also The Clio 16v is slower to 60mph (just!) than a Williams, but the Williams needs a change into 3rd to get it to 60 where as the 16v doesnt.

I think youve either lost sight of what is important in terms of measuring a cars performance, or youre mad ;) But youre definitely far too hung up on this 60mph thing.

[Edited by Rhys on 6/20/2004 5:52:01 PM]

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 20 June 2004

drove a v6 yesterday and ive decided that i am going to buy one. wasnt lightning quick, but quick enough and as a total package its perfect.

the engine noise is amazing!

a few Qs,

1. should it body roll on bends or stay taught?

2. looking at the engine, is there an oil level dipstick or not? how would you check your oil?

going to buy one in the next week hopefully!

cheers

1. Many V6 mk1 owners will tell you the handling is not as bad as it has been reported. You will find that you learn to go fast OUT of a bend and slower in and it will grip pretty well. I wanted to improve on the standard set up, and went for the complete KW Variant 3 kit from K-Tec a few weeks ago. I can report the change has far exceeded my expectations, its incredible now. Taking bends at silly speeds without any sqeel from the tyres. Over 100mph in some cases! Which was a 70mph bend before the kit. (this is on my private test track of course! ; )

2. The oil level is easy to check without getting your hands dirty, you will see the level on the dash, displayed as a digital readout to see if its getting low. The dip stick is not so easy to reach (not needed to myself) unless u have very bendy arms. But, oil level hardly ever moves between services, havent added any oil from day one, and just had its first 12k service last week.

I am becoming more interested in that MK2 gearbox, as this seems like it can easily improve the pulling power on the mk1 (narrowing the gap between the mk1 and mk2 perfomance) I found what Mike said pretty interesting, and respect his advice, as he is pretty much the V6 guru!

182, GTR, C63

Must agree that the r32 is sh*t cant comment on the v6 but to me its an amazing car it looks faster than an evo going flat out when its stood still. I asked a guy at the vw showroom how many units they had made in the r32 he said 500. Load of bull ive seen loads and they never look all that quick. I know i havent driven one but it will seem slow after i have a drive of a f355 on tuesday!! Make my cup seem laughable acceleration wise

So to be a supercar you have to do 60 in second!! - thatll please a few Honda CRV owners, theyve got bargain supercars!!!!

The golf hits sixty in 6.4 because its quick and can stand the 3rd change (I dont think the engineers were trying for 0-60 - more general performance - if VW wanted it to hit sixty quicker theyd just up the rev limit and leave the gearing