ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

v6 rear speakers

Clio V6 255

I want to replace the tracing paper rear speakers but im having trouble getting these out.

Do i just screwdriver off the grill (doesnt seem to work) or is there something far more time consuming involved?

if there anything like the 172s the actual grill your trying to prise out is moulded into the surround, its all one piece, the whole piece of plastic needs to come off

hope this helps

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Ive changed the rear speakers on my v6 - dead easy - you use a small flat blade screwdriver to ease off the grill (which is just pushed on to the seperate plastic surround - i.e. held by friction)

Youll then need a torx head screwdriver to undo the 4 screws holding the surround and speaker to the car, the speaker will then just pull out.

I changed the rather rubbish Renault ones for some component Alpines, but replaced using the standard grills so that it doesnt attract the wrong sort of theiving scum attention!

Took about half an hour to do both sides.

The improvement in sound was marked - well worth doing!

Cheers,

Dave

I dont know but i presume they are 5.25"/13cm coaxils. The standard speakers connect differently to how aftermarket ones do, so you just need to snip the plastic bit off and fit terminals on.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Stereo ... speakers ... V6 ... doesnt not compute. You mean you actually bother with your stereo ... thought the sound of the engine is all you need ;)

TBH Ive found the standard components plenty good enough so far. Basically the same bits as on my 172, tho where the rear speakers are up round your ears it sounds better. I tend to listen loud music but a big dynamic range (quiet ... shouty ... ear bleedingly shouty ... quiet eg. got System of a Down on now) ... and apart from the odd rattle from the grill theyve held up well.

Would be interested to hear details on what people fit (or have fitted) and really how much better it makes things and in what ways. I have 2 vices ... my car and my music ... stereo is off when Im really caning it, but when Im cruising I need it on to hide all the freaking rattles (getting fixed soon) and so if marked improvement can be obtained for not too many ££ ...

Clio RS 172 Ph2

They are 13cm - no idea what model I bought - I got them off ebay and threw away the box, but any 13cm speakers should fit provided they dont have a tweater protruding. If you go for components (like me) then youll not have this problem as the tweater is fitted seperately inside the car (I mounted them either side of the top engine cover).

By the way, the fronts are 13cm also - I bought some 2nd hand pioneer woofers for them, and used them in combination with the tweaters in the dash.

To be fair the std Renault fronts (made by Blaupunkt as I found when I removed them) arent that bad, but the Pioneers do give them a bit more oomph. The fronts are also dead easy to change - you simply pull the grill from the door panel, and again there are 4 torx screws. The fronts seem to be run off an existing x-over network, so if you do change the door speakers youll want to fit woofers without tweaters, else it wont sound right.

The terminals are different, so as Spammy says you have to crimp on some spade connectors to use with aftermarket speakers.

The result is a much improved sound, but ideally Id still like to add a sub on the shelf behind the seats, but so far Ive not found one compact enough (not that Ive looked very much), and it needs to be active also with speaker level inputs, as I cant be ar$ed to wire in a seperate amp!

Clio V6 255

HOW TO GUIDE:

http://www.aonv73.dsl.pipex.com/spkr.htmlhttp://www.aonv73.dsl.pipex.com/spkr.html

Im on strike today for a well known bank ;) so ive got plenty of time on my hands so thought id do a little guide.

One thing that puzzles me from the statement above was that I thought that the signal to the speakers was full range to both components on the front (spkr and tweeter) and the capacitor on the tweeter was the only crossover type of thing that was limiting the frequencies?

If there is a crossover unit, where is it?

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by Zydered on 27 May 2005
the capacitor on the tweeter was the only crossover type of thing that was limiting the frequencies?

correct the cap limits mid and low freqs

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Zydered on 27 May 2005

HOW TO GUIDE:

http://www.aonv73.dsl.pipex.com/spkr.htmlhttp://www.aonv73.dsl.pipex.com/spkr.html

Im on strike today for a well known bank ;) so ive got plenty of time on my hands so thought id do a little guide.

One thing that puzzles me from the statement above was that I thought that the signal to the speakers was full range to both components on the front (spkr and tweeter) and the capacitor on the tweeter was the only crossover type of thing that was limiting the frequencies?

If there is a crossover unit, where is it?
Nice one :D

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Yeah I wasnt sure whether there was a x-over on the front, just assumed that as theyd fitted components in the factory (i.e. woofers in the door, and tweater in the dash) that there might be some trickery lurking somewhere to direct the frequencies accordingly.

If anyone thinks changing the speakers will transform the sound of the stereo - prepare to be slightly dissapointed. Im very pleased that the sounds is better than using the standard units, but its some way short of having any decent bass even now.

Theres only so much you can get out of a 13cm driver, which is why Id still like to get a sub in there somehow....

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Zydered that is a great how-to guide.... one more thing to add - if you unplug the connectors from the renault speakers, youll see inside the socket on the back of the speaker that one of the terminals is marked "+" so you can check that you wire up your new speakers with the correct polirity. In mine the wire running next to the spring clip was the positive feed on all the speakers.

Clio V6 255

cheers, added that bit. I think speakers running off an amp make all the difference, just contemplating how to do it, think i may cut and reconnect at the headunit end rather than running new wires through.

I personally think the standard speaker cable is quite reasonable.

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Think you might be right about the amp. Yes the standard cable (whilst probably not hardcore enough to appease the serious ICE mob) does seem pretty well up to the job.

I had a couple of Fords in the past and some of their stereos use an off-board amp to power the speakers. They used to mount their amps underneath the carpet in the passenger footwell (hardly noticable if the amp is flat enough - just feels like a ridge in the chassis). Could be a good place to mount yours if you can stretch the cable loom down there somewhere... provided of course that is that the amp doesnt run too hot and set fire to the carpet!

Let us know how you get on, what amp you go for, and where you mount it!