ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 tuning

All

I am doing some research on the V6 as it features highly on my list of possible new cars. Favourite on the list at the moment is a mint Elise S1 111s or just new S2 Elise. However I cant ignore the V6, it looks and sounds so great. Reminds me so much of the original R5 turbo which I remember seeing rallying (kind of indicates my age). So funds to purchase stand at just under £20k which means I can get a Phase 1 with delivery miles on it. it will be my main everyday car for commuting and enjoying at the weekend. The commute is a mix on nice twisties and the dreaded M25, so I need something that will be fun on both bits. It doesnt have to be too practical as I also have a bigger tin top for getting lots of kit in.

Three quick questions for you all;

1 - Is the V6 as tail happy as is generally made out to be or is this "bloke down the pub" type of rumour from a few journos just to have a go at the car?

2 - If it is tail happy and this has been corrected on the Phase 2, is it possible and practical (i.e. not too pricey) to change parts on the Phase 1 suspension set up to make it loess tail happy.

3 - Old version is 230bhp, new one 255bhp or so. I know Renault have done a lot of work on the engine and gearbox on the Phase 2, but are there any good tuning companies out there to give the Phase 1 a bit more poke without resorting to forced induction or NOS?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Its not any more tailhappy than a typical mid engined car, its just on the limit its dodgy.

I would simply swap the steering rack with the mk2 once its out and swap the tyres for 215/45 17s at front and 245/40 17s back, so wheels are 17x7 and 17x8.5.

Im sure you could get a chip to equal the power

Clio v6

I have tried everything I know to get my tail out of line but failed.

Yes Superchips have mastered the V6 and its on their list.

Goes through tyres every 5 or 6k so if using it as an everyday car you might need to think about a 3 day week LOL

BB Performance are bringing out a breathing kit (soon ) for the V6 and later on a Turbo.

BTW Whats a tin top?

Cheers for the info so far.

Tin top = ordinary hatchback.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of the most appropriate tuners for the V6 for suspension tweaks.

Tyres only lasting 5-6k could be a bugger, but its only one set extra per year and I could afford this for the extra fun.

Chris

Williams 2, STi N12

Forget it...much better cars out there for the money which will give you more smiles per mile than the overweight underpowered V6, sure youll get looks but not much respect from the keener driver!!

TO be honest, and not to make anybody with a V6 (sorry Dash) feel like their car is poor, cause it isnt.

The MK1 V6 is not the car its made out to be. We have 14 in HK and i regualrly do the after work tests on them. They are actualy very capable motorway cars with the tallish gearing....and quite softly sprung.

The worst part about the V6 is the front end, its SO damn wollowy and vauge. One i started pushing, it really didnt enspire confidence, its soft......and leads to alot of roll. I felt sad that the super clio was only as fast as the regular 172 on the rd. and its definately not tail happy.

Although gear shift and the engine felt superb......absolutely supurb. I would take the V6 over the 172 merely because with some sorting on front eng geometry and damper/spring experimenting, it can be changed easily.

The new V6 is far better suspension wise, totally redesigned in the true sense. The engine is not that highy tunned either. The new V6 lag hs the same motor with 210bhp, and the MK1 V6 has 230, which feels more torquey than powerful. The new 260bhp is a simple cam and valve spring change, and the inlet plenham redesign (which im not 100% sure on).

The clio trophey has 285bhp and is still HIGHLY unstressed, using std cast heads, wilder cams with stronger valve springs, it has a win TB twin plenham setup to increase throttle plate area.

There is a supercharger kit available from Elia and i THINK K-Tec still has one. Apart from that, the best gain will come from either a change to the twin plenam setup or if your feelin fancy, a full set of 6 throttle bodies, but fabicating an inlet manifold will probably be neccesary. Cam changes are very resposive on this engine, but exhaust mods wont really reap that much.

All in all, id rather have a MK1 elise on throttle bodies with 190bhp......

Dont know if you are interested but there is an unregistered Mk1 V6 for sale in the Renault garage in Edinburgh £19995

Guys thanks for the info.

As I will be doing quite a bit of motorway work as well as the twisties it seems the V6 could be a viable option.

The Elise would be great fun on the twisties but is not really a motorway type of machine. Both would give lots of smiles, just in different ways.

Lots of test driving to be done I think.

Chris

I guess it depends where your priorties are, id probably get a V6 mk1 purely on looks alone! The mk2 makes it harder to justify getting one now though.

I cant sing higher praise for the elises, but there is no way you could have one as anything other than a weekend car unless you are completely mad! If my numbers come up on saturday i will be getting a mk2 190!