ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver brake upgrade

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Is it possible to put mk2 calipers and discs on a valver, and by how much will the braking be improved?
Or are there any other options to swap brakes from other cars onto a valver?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yes, I have them on mine, best way is to convert to 172 wide track, so use everything from a mk2. mine has driveshaft's, wishbones, anti roll bar, hubs, brakes and I use Williams front struts with bolt holes eased out to fit 172 bolts and the 172 hubs have been machined narrower to accept the Williams coilover flanges.

however I believe you can just use 172 struts as well, although never tried myself so not sure on top mounts etc.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
This souds pretty expensive... I was looking for something cheaper where I don't have to replace the whole suspension, but thanks anyways.

Get some decent pads and the Brembo HC disks on there, combined with braided lines and upgraded fluids, and I don't think you'd really need much else?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
there was a larger caliper carrier and disc that could use the standard calipers available at one point but can't for the life of me remember who made them and if any would still be floating about somewhere

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
So for short, the mk2 calipers and discs won't fit the 1.8 16v without any other modification?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I think mate of mine managed to fit just the discs and calipers, i'll ask him what he did

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
right spoke to him, he used 172 stub axle and caliper/disc but the central hub and wheel bearing from the valver pressed into it.

then machined 2mm off the mating face of the 172 stub axle where it bolts to the strut as the valver strut flanges are closer together. also drilled out the strut to stub axle bolt holes on the valver struts to M14 so can use the 172 bolts.

that way can keep the valver wishbones/arb/driveshafts etc as they are