ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver cold start question

MK1 Clio 16v
When i start my valver from cold, it sounds quite 'tappety' for a while, and then all of a sudden it just stops dead and sounds as smooth as always. Just wondering what causes this? I'm guessing it's just the oil making it's way to the top of the engine?

If so, is there anything to stop it tapping from cold? Is there something blocking the oil? Something i need to clean? It's had a full service recently so the oil filter has been replaced.

Cheers for any suggestions!

J

jamesy

often cars which use hydraulic valve lifters will be a bit tappety from cold you can get an additive to reduce it also using the correct and a decent oil can stop it all together i reccomend castrol gtx magnatec 10w/40 its also semi synthetic;)

MK1 Clio 16v
I believe i have some Castrol 'High Mileage' oil in there at the moment, new oil as well. I think it's 10w/40.

I've got some 'injector cleaner' running through at the minute to try and fix lumpy idle from cold which seems to have helped a little, certainly feels smoother to drive from cold.

I think i'll try some additive in there next for the valve lifters!

Anyone had experience with Castrol High Mileage oil? Good or bad idea?

Pikey Truck
jamesy said:
often cars which use hydraulic valve lifters will be a bit tappety from cold you can get an additive to reduce it also using the correct and a decent oil can stop it all together i reccomend castrol gtx magnatec 10w/40 its also semi synthetic;)

Wouldn't use that... I used it in my valver for a while and it ran shite!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
cliokiz said:
I believe i have some Castrol 'High Mileage' oil in there at the moment, new oil as well. I think it's 10w/40.

I've got some 'injector cleaner' running through at the minute to try and fix lumpy idle from cold which seems to have helped a little, certainly feels smoother to drive from cold.

I think i'll try some additive in there next for the valve lifters!

Anyone had experience with Castrol High Mileage oil? Good or bad idea?
Yeh m8 its crap,tht for over 75,000 miles,i got some halfords 10w40 semi synthetic,it quietend mine down,but after a while still seems to tap a little,

1.8 Civic EX
castrol is poo for valvers....made mine sound like a complete bag of shite

get yourself down the local Renault dealer and get some Elf....made a massive diff in mine when it was standard...

now on Silkoline 5w40 but I've had uprated cam work etc done too tho....

MK1 Clio 16v
Hmm interesting.

I've certainly not had any problems with the castrol stuff, just seems to take a while to get around the engine. It's not a big issue as it runs perfectly when its warm, just hate the tappety sound when i start her in the morning!

Will try the Elf oil when i next need an oil change, thanks for that.

Is it expensive from Renault?

J

jamesy

ive been using magnatec for a year and now and the car has always run sweet what viscosity have you been using?the only problem ive had is that it burns a bit of oil but these engines generally do;) (elf and mobil1 also very good)

clio 16v
dont worry bout it mate all valver run shite when cold the one I have now and the others ive had. The rattlin at start up is the just the tappets and as you said it's coz the oil aint reached the top yet. It all drops into the sump when its sitting and takes a couple of minutes to circulate.

clio 16v
Ingram said:
Yeh m8 its crap,tht for over 75,000 miles,i got some halfords 10w40 semi synthetic,it quietend mine down,but after a while still seems to tap a little,

U sure that aint the injectors clicking?#

Elf Excellium 5w40 from the Dealers has made mine a LOT better than Magnatec! Quietens down within about a minute, rather than the 5 it used to take...

I got it for £23 for 5 litres, but he might have been doing a discount on it as he's a very nice man :p lol

Ring up and ask! I think book value is about £40 so if they quote that it might be good to ask "so what's your best price on that?" ;)

I think it's fully synthetic?

Either way, if it is, it's not a proper proper fully synthetic as that Oilman bloke would say, it's a mineral based one so 'not as good'.

Still seems to like mine though :)

MK1 Clio 16v
I think i'll have to look into that.

Mine's definately tappets not injector clicking.

What's viscosity? :eek:

MK1 Clio 16v
White16valver said:
How thick/runny/'oozey' it is LoL

I think it's 10W 40? Whatever it said in the book at Halfords for the valver!

Should i get something different?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
jamesy said:
castrol gtx magnatec 10w/40 its also semi synthetic;)

Mineral based, not a true (or semi true) synthetic. If i were using that oil i would be changing it every 3000 miles, it wouldnt nearly last the full 6000 service interval.

Castrol + heavy advertising = people think its a good oil.

Reality = utter rubbish.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
cliokiz said:
I think it's 10W 40? Whatever it said in the book at Halfords for the valver!

Should i get something different?

Get 5W/40 semi sync, the more you spend the better the oil, go to your local motor factors for it to save money, Halfords mark the prices up a bit.

10W/40 is just the lowest grade you can use on a valver, once at operating temp both act the same anyway, just from cold the 5W has a lower viscosity, which means it will get round the engine quicker from cold, hence better protection.

If it sounds a bit tapperty, use some Wynnes Tappet Treatment.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ive just ordered 5lt bottle of Silkolene 5w40 Fully Synthetic as recommended by Guy (Oilman) and some Denso Iridium spark plugs. Need some decent gearbox oil as well :(

This service is gunna cost me something kronic!!! Timing belt fitting i was quoted £300 for labour :(

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I would be trusting that guy a 100% ^^^

Timing belts can be done for £160 all in, where in the country are you?