ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver gearbox - knackered?

MK1 Clio 16v
Was driving back from Lincoln on Saturday with 3 passengers and loads of luggage in the boot and drive fairly calmly most of the way back. Had to overtake a few lorries on the way, and as most of the valver owners on CS will know, you have to drop a fair few gears when you have a car full to get any acceleration!

Anyway, the car was fine most of the way back, but then suddenly when accelerating in third it popped out of gear. Tried to put it back in third but it just kept popping out. If i held it in third and accelerated then it was fine.

Drove it for a while after that and eventually just avoided using third gear, all the others worked fine with no problems. Started noticing a slight grating feeling coming through the gearstick when changing into 5th but all others were still ok.

A while after that it became quite difficult sometimes to get it into 1st & 2nd, so i put it in neutral and pulled my foot off the clutch and the car jolted slightly (as if it was still in gear), and after that i was able to get 1st/2nd.

After driving around a bit more i was accelerating in 2nd and i put my foot down to accelerate, and the revs went really high (as if the clutch was slipping slightly) but it was still accelerating. Then i went uphill in second and gave it some acceleration and it was fine again.

Started driving home a day later and noticed a really strong smell whenever i came to a standstill coming through the fan vents, the only thing i can describe it as is a very strong smell of gas from a cooker. Also noticed if i put my foot down in 4th gear i could hear something rattling/grating.

Now my valver is just sitting at home and i'm getting the bus to work each morning. I'm guessing my gearbox is fecked but just wanted to know if anyone things something else might be wrong? Engine mount given way perhaps?

If my box has gone then i'm gonna get a willy engine and gearbox, so it's not all bad.

Let me know if anyone is selling a low-mileage willy engine!

Cheers for any suggestions, sorry for the long babbling post (i'm tired!)

:dapprove:

MK1 Clio 16v
Which mount do you think could cause a problem like this?

The dogbone mount is quite new. Having said that my engine rocks about all over the place, but it's been doing that ever since i bought it 2 years ago, which suggests my mounts are screwed anyway.

MK1 Clio 16v
there you go then

I know it seems like a logical explanation but my valver has been fine up until Saturday until these problems appeared. I've already tried to stop my engine rocking by having a new dogbone mount fitted but it didn't help much, plus i've heard it's really difficult to get it to stop rocking.

I'll await further comments.

Cheers though Fred. :eek:

MK1 Clio 16v
How much would i be looking at to replace all of the engine mounts, edde?

I'm sick of the movement in my engine it drives me nuts.

Could a dodgy gearbox mount/worn gearbox mount cause slipping clutch problems, even on a brand new clutch?

I've had issues with my clutch for ages now, even though i've had a new one.

Cheers.

How much would i be looking at to replace all of the engine mounts, edde?

I'm sick of the movement in my engine it drives me nuts.

Could a dodgy gearbox mount/worn gearbox mount cause slipping clutch problems, even on a brand new clutch?

I've had issues with my clutch for ages now, even though i've had a new one.

Cheers.

Dogbone mount is about £25 gearbox is about £40 top one I forget about £40 as well.

Nope don't se how it can ever do that unless egnine moviment is cause the cluctyh cable to be caught and tigten.

clio williams n0.26
try getting an uprated dogbone mount a few places sell them (hillpower £65inc p&p),

you could also get an extra r19 engine mount, the mk1's dont come with this mount as standard but all the holes are there to have it fitted. would virtually reduce all the engine movement.

MK1 Clio 16v
Sounds good, where can i pick one up from?

I was having a gander at the valver last night and noticed a huge patch of oil on the driveway from underneath the gearbox.

On closer inspection, i found a strange looking hole on the bottom near to where all the oil has come from... can anyone spot what could be wrong?

Cant really see from the pics.

forth one looks like gear box sump plug or whatever you call it.

Sixth one looks like a mount bolt is missing.

Although i have been know to be wrong......from time to time.

Where are you based mate?

MK1 Clio 16v
Based near Leicester

I'm wondering if i've lost all my gearbox oil somehow? Could that cause all the problems i'm experiencing?

Yeah will cause your gearbox to burn out :)

If it is the sump nut then there will be no oil in there, sorry state of affairs.

leicters a bit far was going to say if you are local will pop in and have a look.

MK1 Clio 16v
I need to find where the sump plug is in the gearbox, i'm guessing it has fallen out and i've lost all my oil.

If that's the case then i'll fill it back up with oil and see what happens...

If it's fecked, then it's willy engine time!!

2005 Nissan Navara
cant see how its fallen out!

look under...its to the left of the selector.

i know of a few williams engines/boxes at the moment.

£350 fitting from me.

MK1 Clio 16v
Amir (AmirClio) came over and had a look at it this evening. Looks pretty terminal, there were loads of metal shards in the gearbox oil, so it's screwed.

Therefore, looking for a willy engine & box!

Stan, please PM what you got.

Looking for a ph-quick...
Yeah its a sorry state! Give the gearbox oil to your missus to use as glitter to put on her face or somthing Kieran! ;)