ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver hit by lightening!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Last night me and my mate went for a drive following the huge storm which was over my area. Got to the point where there were loads of lightening hits in the surrounding area. Then we got hit in the clio. It was really strange. There was a loud thud/bang from the roof then for a split second all the panels were blue and the eletrics in the car went strange. It was really strange we just drove in silence for a few seconds trying to sort out what just happened!
At least valvers are lightening proof! Thank god for the faraday shell effect.

Weird as a beard i tell thee!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Safest place to be during a thunderstorm.

[Edited by CupCake on 6/20/2005 4:02:02 PM]

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Sadly its not quicker and it doesnt have super powers lol.

Deffo not my favorite experience ever!

Reminds me of that episode of topgear where they sent a huge current through that golf at the powerstation with Richard Hammond(IIRC) sat in it sh*tting himself lol

it happened to my mate last night too. he was in a f350, now that is one hell of a lightning conductor!

He said it was like someone letting a firework off in the car, just lost all his senses, luckily he was at some red lights otherwise who knows what could have happened

133/225/CLS AMG

Thats a crazy one mate!! haha

Luckily it is the safest place apparently, did you see that Top Gear show where Richard Hammond sat in a Golf and they struck it with lightening? All the electrics in that misbehaved for a bit then it started no problems!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

yer good place to be but dotn be touching anything metal on the car !!

they did it on telly once.... wasnt topgear.... was the other one where they did stunts.

as long as u dont touch anythign metal it shud conduct thru into the ground without effectign you at all :)

Quote: Originally posted by casiodan on 20 June 2005

it happened to my mate last night too. he was in a f350, now that is one hell of a lightning conductor!

He said it was like someone letting a firework off in the car, just lost all his senses, luckily he was at some red lights otherwise who knows what could have happened
the lights would have been a higher conductor for the lightning, so seems strange that it hit the lower down car. :confused:

just goes to show, you can never predict things like this!

fat 182

have you checked for the exit area

you always get them on aircraft sometimes its just a bit of a burn mark other times is a fu*king great big hole

id check the under side of your car for one

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 20 June 2005

the lights would have been a higher conductor for the lightning, so seems strange that it hit the lower down car. :confused:
just goes to show, you can never predict things like this!
Doesnt always work like that though..saw a fantastic progam on lightning once. It showed how a kind of stem of electricity comes up from an object on the ground, sometimes two or three, and the lightning just connects with one of them..

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Touching the metal work in the car wouldnt have affected me due to the fact i wasnt earthed.

Think it may have exited off my de-cat since all the exhaust putty i put on that morning had dissintergrated!

172 Cup

I think alot of people "think" they have been struck in their car but in reality they havent snd the lightening struck a nearly object. I was in a coach in Florida that was struck by lightening and its a bit more servere than "a bright light"..

Apart from alot of perforated ear drums the coaches electrics were fcuked and there was a massive burn/scorch mark where the lightening struck.

2004 1.2 Dynamique

WOW they say the safest place for you is in a car too, as the rubber tyres dont conduct electricity

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

Quote: Originally posted by Jono_GTi on 22 June 2005
Did your flux-capacitor kick in or not?? :p
I was about to ask if he was going 88mph ;)

133/225/CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by Has on 20 June 2005

yer good place to be but dotn be touching anything metal on the car !!

they did it on telly once.... wasnt topgear.... was the other one where they did stunts.

as long as u dont touch anythign metal it shud conduct thru into the ground without effectign you at all :)
On my life mate they had this on Top Gear, Richard Hammond went over to journe to some big power plant, sat in a gold coloured Golf with this big ball thing which fired lightening out of it. Obviously he didnt get fried but he did drive the car away from it afterwards. :D