ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Standard Tyre Sizes - Help plz

For those that are running standard phase 1 or 2 15inch alloys on your valvers - could you advise me what tyre profile i need.

Standard factory tyres were 185/55/15, im looking to buy a set of F1s after xmas and i need to get some quotes.

what should i go for?

195/55/15

or

195/50/15

?

:confused:

Er, 185/55/15s surely, if thats the originals?!?

You can get away with 195/50/15s, but it does feel slightly different when your motoring.

Use the tyres guide on this site matey!

FYI i think im on phase 1s with 195/50 - this matches the original diameter and gives a wider footprint. No adverse effects either.....cheeper too!

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 22 December 2003

Use the tyres guide on this site matey!

FYI i think im on phase 1s with 195/50 - this matches the original diameter and gives a wider footprint. No adverse effects either.....cheeper too!
Fair point - but i must be going blind, i cant find it! :confused:

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

185/55/15 are the standard size and I think you can get F1s in this isze but most people end up fitting 195/50/15 as this is a more popular size so more tyres available and cheaper too.

This does knock the speedo out a little as the diameter, radius or whatever it is is a bit more/less. Tyre guide should tell you. Also the ride will be a bit firmer due to the lower profile and handling a little different due to the wider tyre.

Its your call at the end of the day and I chose to go for the 195/50/15 because of teh better range of tyres and cheaper cost.

Also its worth noting that you will have to change all four as I think they will fail at MOT if 2 are 195/50/15 and 2 are 185/55/15. At least they did try that when I had my spare with original size tyre on at MOT time, so I just swapped it back again.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Forgot to say. I just ordered two F1s to replace by worn Bridgestone S03s and got them for 50 quid each fitted. You may find them a bit cheaper, nearer 40 on internet sites but then have the hassle of finding somehere to fit them only and pay them for it.

Was gonna hold out for the Bridgestone RE050 which is getting good reviews and allegedly becoming available in 195/50/15 but have not had this confirmed by Bridgestone and am in a rush. If these do come out soon they may well be worth considering.

Like people have already said, 195/50 gives you a wider choice of tyres at a lower price. I went for that size on my Valver.

Having said that, Ive got some antique 185/55 Michelin Pilots on the Willy at the moment and I really like them! I cant tell how much is to do with the fatc that the suspension isnt lowered like the Valver, but its a very good setup as standard IMO.

Having the extra spring and give in the tyre is perfect for twisty little roads and over poor surfaces - you will get more grip from a tyre like this on a rutted road and be able to put the power down better. Granted, I lose grip and poise in very fast corners (A-roads etc) but I have most of my fun on the smaller roads.

But will you want to pay £30 more per tyre? If they were the same price then it would be a fairer debate - one of the main reasons Ill be sticking is for originality, but youre probably not so fussed.