ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valvers on 17s

For anyone who has gone for 17s on their 16v over the standard 15s, can you please let me know your opinions of them, ie. pros & cons.

Also, anyone got pics of a valver on 17s @ standard ride height. Need to know if itll look stupid or if itll need lowering, and by how much.

Thanks

Tom

Have a look in the gallery, there are loads of valvers in their on 17s.

I would expect you would need to lower it about 35mm, and the pros would be the looks not sure about the cons, probably slight loss of power/speed and cost.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Looks good Adam on the 15s with that ride height! What spolier is it?

17s IMO r just too much of a sacrifice for looks! If u enjoy driving then u wont want 17s believe me! I think Adams 16v looks better on 15s anyway!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

hehe the 17s look 10x better in the flesh mate trust me lol... Its still v drivable but just not as go-karty (??) as with the 15s on!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I know; had 17s,16s & 15s on mine; 17s best for quick cornering on stock suspension but not an enjoyable drive IMO.

Honestly, i prefer a Valver lowered on phase 2 alloys unless it is something special or a show car.

My advice would be save ur money & instead of alloys, get coilovers first. ;)

on polish roads 17"s are not a nice thing when it comes to comfort or driveability... the pro: looks!

pics will follow ;)

Its a tricky one this...

The fat arches of the 16v make fitting 17s or 18s a cinch, but they handle way better on 15s.

I had some 16s with 205/45 profile tyres, but chopped them in for some refurbished original Phase2s with 195/50 tyres. The "handling" is way better on the limit now, although the grip is a tiny bit less - but I pefer it that way as I can control it on the limit a bit easier.

Its only my opinion, but I also reckon that original 16v wheels look very good anyway. Aftermarket wheels date; original wheels "mature" with the car.

My flatmate has a 16v on 17s and it is not lowered - I reckon it looks a bit cack!

clio 20v

17s look really good 16s are a good comprimise and you dont lose any acceleration on 195/45 tyres

17s dont affect acceleration that much my willy powered valver did some good times on 17s wiv the ap22 and traction was much improved over 15s

17s do tend to tramline on bumpy roads and i dont think id get another set of 17s on my red one the 16s look good and handles superbly

adi

i was gonna get 16inch multispokes on my 1.4rt will these fit.do u reacon i should get some 15 instead.would it be a bit gay to get some 16v alloys for it os would that be ok as the arches are different

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

NO i had phase 2 rims on my old RT. Looked good, nice wheels and 16s would probably need some arch mods...!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I saw an RT at the Donny Show with 172 wheels that looked quite smart. I think theyre 15s.