ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

various faults............

2003 Clio 172 cup
I bought the car a few weeks ago with a few known faults,

Airbag/serv light was on
knocking in 1st and 2nd under power
top mount drivers side squeaky
drivers cv noisy on full lock
alignment out

The garage agreed to fix all these for me and have had the car for 2 days, got it back tonight to find;

Airbag/serv light doesnt come on with the ignition or with the LED test.
The bottom engine mount was replaced but knocking still persists, although nowhere near as bad (exhaust on subframe?)
Top mount was replaced but still a slight squeak when coming backwards off a kerb etc
Alignment is now the other way, wheels sitting to the left not right and still slight pull to the left, all tyre pressures are fine aswell.

Speaking to the garage there was a few faults with the airbag which seems like the car may have been in a slight knock, or over a massive pot hole and the main code was airbag ecu triggered, now i know that is expensive and prob costs about the same as the car to fix along with new bags to cure it, just leave bulbs out?

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers
Kenny

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I bought the car a few weeks ago with a few known faults,
The garage agreed to fix all these for me and have had the car for 2 days, got it back tonight to find;

Airbag/serv light doesnt come on with the ignition or with the LED test.

Mwhahahaaaaaaa - Pikey fix for the win!

If the car has been in a shunt large enough to trigger the detonation of a bag then the SRS ECM will log a detonation event and rightly so, trigger the light. This can be reset but the "event" will forever be logged. This is why the SRS ECM is replaced with one that hasn't had an "Event" logged and they don't have to be brand spanking new units either; just one from a similar age and spec vehicle will do the job. The only thing that won't be right is the VIN numbers as they're coded at factory but this can be changed by people like me without breaking the law.

As per another thread on here ref SRS ECM's they can be had for as little as £10 and will plug and play if they're from the same age and spec vehicle. Just be sure that if your car has curtain bags or seat bags that the doner car had these to (Although again, I can code SRS units and update there trigger line configs as i'm doing this for Seb shortly).

Mick

2003 Clio 172 cup
Mwhahahaaaaaaa - Pikey fix for the win!

If the car has been in a shunt large enough to trigger the detonation of a bag then the SRS ECM will log a detonation event and rightly so, trigger the light. This can be reset but the "event" will forever be logged. This is why the SRS ECM is replaced with one that hasn't had an "Event" logged and they don't have to be brand spanking new units either; just one from a similar age and spec vehicle will do the job. The only thing that won't be right is the VIN numbers as they're coded at factory but this can be changed by people like me without breaking the law.

As per another thread on here ref SRS ECM's they can be had for as little as £10 and will plug and play if they're from the same age and spec vehicle. Just be sure that if your car has curtain bags or seat bags that the doner car had these to (Although again, I can code SRS units and update there trigger line configs as i'm doing this for Seb shortly).

Mick

I think they thought i wouldnt notice lol

So all i have to do is get one second hand from another 172 cup and plug it in?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, its honestly that simple - Assuming that there aren't any issues with resistance values on any of the trigger lines of course as these will flag up in the form of a flashing SRS + SERV light.

As I said, the only thing that will stand out is the VIN number for the SRS ECM when/if it goes in for a service with someone that has near dealer/dealer level diagnostic equipment but it can be changed.

2003 Clio 172 cup
excellent, thanks, ill look into that.

even if the vin shows up at service, there wont be any lights just because the ECM has been changed>?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
nope - All it will do is display a mismatched VIN on the diagnostic screen to the one of your car.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The rest... pretty simple garage work tbh:

Airbag/serv light was on
knocking in 1st and 2nd under power - Engine/gearbox mount. Inspect and replace
top mount drivers side squeaky - Inspect, replace/modify if not already done.
drivers cv noisy on full lock - Replace CV joint on effected side
alignment out - Have the car laser aligned... around £35