ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Venting a subwoofer?

None
I have a query about an installation i'm currently doing to fit a sub in my boot, i came across different sub boxes but couldn't find the answer as to why some are sealed units and others are vented with holes of up to 2" diameter, any idea's as to the difference and the pro's/cons of each.
Reason i ask is mine will be custom and will have to be vented naturally at the edges of the boot, i could seal the edges but don't want too unless it's going to drastically improve sound.

Oh and i have not heard the performance of it yet as i have just finished the unit but won't have my car back until tomorrow at least so i'll be fitting it tomorrow or wednesday, it's a 400 watt amp with 10" sub, is the venting to do with sub size maybe?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Its something to do with the volume of different frequencies. Ported gets lower Hz and sealed is punchier i THINK.
Probably very wrong though..

05 Clio 182
ported boxes are louder iirc but you need to have the correct cubic footage inside the box so that it sounds correct - your sub will come with a guide so say how big the inside of the box should be.

sealed boxes are punchier.

None
I bought a cheapo set up to play around with before i upgrade so i could get the box right, basically it will be a section of the lower half of the boot so it's going to be slightly larger in size than a standard box but i can partition it off to achieve the correct cubic mass.

Cheers guys and thanks for the link matt, i'll try to get the ported system to work as i want the lower frequencies but i can always seal it should this not work.

My aim is to reduce to zero all bass/low frequencies from head unit to the crappy standard size speakers and make the sub out funtion on the head unit make the sub do all the work as at the moment any bass i try to get from the speakers just sounds horrible :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
unless you're going for a proper system, id stay sealed,

more often than not, ported enclosures need to be a lot bigger than the sealed equivelant. and ports need to be a certain size and length to acousticly amplify certain speakers.

if you're good at box making, and dont mind the room then go for it!

good luck

None
Cheers, with this new info i might try both methods while i'm still at that stage where i can make alterations before final fitment.

Mk2 172
Sealed boxes tend to sound better tbh unless the box and subwoofer has been specifically designed to work together. Not like the vibe rubbish which just warrbles!!
Sealed box subwoofer will take more power to run which is exactly why the likes of vibe/fusion etc choose ported boxes because their amps built into them have no REAL power

None
At the moment i will be running a sub zero set up until i'm happy with it, then i'll upgrade from there, it will a 400 watt amp running a cheapo sub but i had one in my old land rover which was the sub zero 600 watt set up and i gave it to my brother who currently has it in his clio and sound is pretty awesome for a cheap sub/amp set up, plus it's still going strong after nearly two years.