ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibrating/grating noise when revs are falling past 4k.

Clio 182
hi, clio 182, I've had it a week and its quickly developed a buzz when the revs are around 4.5k. It occurs when accelerating and if I rev the engine past 5k, I can hear it when the revs are settling back down briefly. Occurs in and out of gear. I know this is vague, but is it a common issue? any other thoughts?

Clio 182
if it helps, i've checked for heatshield close to the exhaust system and all seems ok. Also noticed that the joint just before the cat seemed to have water bubbles coming out when the throttle was pressed, this was admittedly on cold start so maybe just normal moisture getting out a gap that needs sealing? But to my limited knowledge, I still cant figure out this noise??

Clio 182
thats what i'm thinking now after a bit more probing.

Is it common for the engine to have a reasonable coating of oil under the engine cover on a clio?

Clio 172 Cup
i dont think have a coating of oil under the cover of any car is a good sign, i mean yea it will be abit mucky, but coated in oil, doesnt sound good, almost as thought the oil pressure is high and its trying to escape somewhere? check oil level maybe?

Clio 182
Thanks, it was the the gasket between the manifold and the cat. After sorting that I found that the center silencer had snuffed it so I had a k-tec/janspeed catback fitted for less than i could find a mild steel 'oem' catback. Rebault wanted £860 and an independant wanted about £500. Yikes!