ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibration & steering "wobble"

Need some thoughts,

Having an issue with Vibration through the steering wheel. I can feel minor vibration when driving normally however when I get the car up to about 60-65mph the steering wheel starts to wobble. The wobble may go away at about 80-85mph ;), however I can still feel some vibration.

The wobble is speed sensitive, meaning it's present even when I let off the throttle - i.e. get up to 70 and then let off, wobble still there. It's also still there if I dip the clutch so I presume I can rule out driveshafts?

There's also no wobble/vibration as a result of braking.

Things I've had checked/done recently:
- All 4 wheels balanced
- Just had the OSF balljoint changed (wobble was there before it was done however it has definitely got worse since changed, oddly enough)
- Hunter alignment done on Wednesday and then re-checked once I realised I had the issue - all spot on.

I'm going to get the wheels swapped back to front to rule out tyres - though these have been on the car less than a year and only done around 6kmiles.

Anyone had a similar issue to point me in the right direction before I get it looked at again?

Cheers

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
When you had the wheels balanced did the guys doing it say the wheels were fine? Or did one of the wheels need more weight adding than the other?

I asked them to check wheels and tyres and they said they were fine, didn't mention if they had to add more weight to one than the other.

Had the wheels swapped front to back but to no avail unfortunately.

Latest symptom is the car pulls to the right under acceleration. Only just noticed as with it wobbling I've been paying more attention to that - today I took my hands off the wheel (only briefly) whilst coasting and the steering wobbles through the centre position, went back on the accelerator and it pulled right.

All the symptoms of worn control arm bush or balljoint but I've just had the whole arm changed last week. It's back in with Mick @ Diamond Motors next week. (sorry to pester you again Mick!)