ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

virgin media bb

none :(
Does anybody here have virgin media bb, how do you find it, i want bb for online gaming, the website recommends i have the 30mb package but could i get away with the 10mb package,
will also use the net for surfing and downloading etc

Polo + Micra
i've got 30Mb and it's been pretty good (to start with it was alot worse then the 20Mb we had before)

i don't get any problems playing xbox live while general surfing

the speed very rarely drops below 30Mb tbh

Golf GTD Mk7
10mb is fine mate. Make sure you have a decent wireless router though as netgear ones are gash. Only annoying thing with virgin is they restrict bandwidth at peak times. However this is still fine for gaming.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
i've got 30 mb, speed test shows download of 30.1mb, upload of 2mb. works fine for games and films can be downloaded in a couple of mins.

its nice when you get sold 30mb BB and you actually get 30mb :)

Tesla MP3 2021
VM Broadband is spot on.

I am currently on the 50Mb connection, just waiting for 100Mb to be released in my area :)

Polo + Micra
i've got 30 mb, speed test shows download of 30.1mb, upload of 2mb. works fine for games and films can be downloaded in a couple of mins.

its nice when you get sold 30mb BB and you actually get 30mb :)

have you not had the 3Mb upload update?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I've been on 20MB with VM for ages now, two years or so. So when everyone was saying they were on 30MB it surprised me as i didn't think they offered it.

Called them to see what they could do. They offered me the 30MB broadband for £3 cheaper a month. Result

Bus w**ker
I would never go back to ADSL. Ever. I've been with Virgin for years now and never had a major issue, few drop outs etc but that's rare, I'm on 20mb (need to ring to get it upped to 30 but keep forgetting) and I get 19.5 with just short of 2mb up. The traffic shaping is a nightmare if you breach it, but TBH it doesn't take a rocket scientist to not get caught out by it and the limits are resonable for even heavy users.

Personally I wouldn't go with a 10mb package, however it depends on how your broadband will be used; amount of users/connected devices etc.

My 20mb has been a bit ropey for a while. However, I'm on a VERY old contract, using a super old NTL modem, so I've decided to upgrade to 50mb, which is actually cheaper per month than I have been paying for years. I am able to get their 100mb service, but that's a bit excessive I think.

I'll rock with 50mb and see how it goes. It'll be a new contract, so I'll peruse them if it starts getting dodgy again.

EDIT: Oooh bonus. It seems that the 50mb is free of traffic management. Allegedly.

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i am on a mere 100Mb and i get 97Mb its epic, a movie in a few minutes is rediculous

Just had my 50mb setup this morning and quite frankly it's biblical. I get around 46-47mb over wireless, and a solid 50mb over ethernet. Upload is around 4.5mb and the ping is 25-28ms. Repeatable over a few tests.

My interents has never felt so fast. Browsing is pretty much instantaneous.

FTW!

This is wireless. I take back everything I have said about Virgin in the months gone by. It was obviously my dodgy old NTL hardware that was the problem.

1594940473.png

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
You'll be pulling your hair out next time they f**k up though (which seems to be quite often)

I'll never go back to cable, I had ntl for a fair while and they were f**king terribad

Yeah you're probably right Cookie Monster. For now I'm happy. The modem router also appears to be a nice bit of kit (replacing my ancient NTL modem and my own router). Slick interface and easy to configure, as you'd expect.

Above all it's just srsly fast!

FYI I don't have any hair.

Tesla MP3 2021
^ Are you referring to the Super Hub (Netgear interface?)

I tried setting up that when I moved onto the 100Mb package and its a right pain in the arse if you want to use DHCP reservation etc, no where near as good as my Linksys Cisco router!

Oh and as I am discovering, VM is great for raw download speed, but bad for YT and Online gaming (360).

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Yeah you're probably right Cookie Monster. For now I'm happy. The modem router also appears to be a nice bit of kit (replacing my ancient NTL modem and my own router). Slick interface and easy to configure, as you'd expect.

I am afraid to say it is actually a terrible bit of kit, constantly crashing, lots of bugs in the OS and features that cause the router to fail. It also lacks some of the features my 3 year old netgear router has.

Tesla MP3 2021
Yep, have to agree as to many others on the VM forums.

I just use my SH in "modem only" mode and use my own router.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The superhub is a big pile of s**t.

There's not even a f**king reboot link in the GUI.

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

At least they added modem mode so you can use a real router.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport

will be interesting to know if your WiFi/superhub and iPhone work ok together, mine occasionally seems to loose internet, altho connection appears fine. happens on my netbook too, so not entirely sure...

been mentioned that fixed IPs can help

Okay well it's s**t then lol. I don't have much experience of it yet, but it seems ok.

DCHP appears to be working properly. Touch wood. I have my own router anyway so I have that option if turns out to be poop. TBH I'm just pleased that it's now super rapid and not hanging and dropping out all over the shop.