ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin media hub help reqd

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Got virgin media superhub 3 showing solid red light all the time, done the usual rebooting etc but still constant red light broardband seems to be working ok.

Says red light constant means it could be overheating of hub but it doesn't seem to be hot🤔

Anyone else had this issue and if so did you resolve or did it get replaced with a new box?

Just thought I would ask on here before I go through the Pain of trying to speak to someone at Virgin who will be as much use as f**k all after I have spent 2 hours on hold !!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Register on the virgin media forum, post your problem up and generally a moderator who works for VM will PM you asking a few details and will arrange to have a new hub sent out in the post, saves dealing with their nonsense on the phone (feel your pain with that!) - Thats been my go to source of help for the last 10yrs!

They will probably upgrade you to a Hub 5 at the same time

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
My Hub 3 has a permanent red light on as it’s been switched to modem mode. I run the Eero 6 mesh network so the hub 3 is now just a bridge.

You could check if it’s gone into Modem Mode by following these instructions.

C3613C43-D20F-4CF3-A97C-1F2E25E6548C.jpeg

340i
Virgin are doing free upgrades to the Hub5 now, free of charge... Fill out a form, choose delivery date, bosh.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I was on their 320 GB deal (Hub 3), which was garbage. I quickly realised their hubs are dogshit. My son has the 1TB set up and he said he's lucky if he gets half that.

So I downgraded to the 100MB package (Hub 3), then paid a few hundred quid for 3 x Eero 6 + and built a mesh network. Put the Hub 3 into Modem mode, and use one of the eero's as the router. One in the living room, one in the dining room and one upstairs. Mind-blowing. It's unreal.

I can get a full signal from the furthest Eero right down the bottom of the garden. Prior to that, i couldn't get a signal through a plasterboard wall 25 feet away.

Prior to the Eero, I also had to run a 5m ethernet cable from the Hub 3, up the stairs and into my small office, just to connect my Mac to the internet. What a pain it was.

Last edited:

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I was on their 320 GB deal (Hub 3), which was garbage. I quickly realised their hubs are dogshit. My son has the 1TB set up and he said he's lucky if he gets half that.

So I downgraded to the 100MB package (Hub 3), then paid a few hundred quid for 3 x Eero 6 + and built a mesh network. Put the Hub 3 into Modem mode, and use one of the eero's as the router. One in the living room, one in the dining room and one upstairs. Mind-blowing. It's unreal.

I can get a full signal from the furthest Eero right down the bottom of the garden. Prior to that, i couldn't get a signal through a plasterboard wall 25 feet away.

Prior to the Eero, I also had to run a 5m ethernet cable from the Hub 3, up the stairs and into my small office, just to connect my Mac to the internet. What a pain it was.

Oo! I’m currently looking at Eero! what’s it like?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Oo! I’m currently looking at Eero! what’s it like?
Honestly I’ve gone from having no wi-fi connectivity upstairs, a buffering TV in the dining room, to full connection all around the house.

A techie at work tried to explain what it does, something to do with wi-fi 6, but it’s the best money I’ve spent.

I’ve bought the 3-pack - Amazon eero 6+ mesh Wi-Fi 6... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZK15LWW/?tag=cliospnet01-21 thinking I’d need one in each room downstairs and 1 upstairs, but I reckon I could’ve got away with 2.

I had 300 plus MB before and it was no better than the 100mb I downgraded to. The techie explained it was the hubs that virgin use. I can now run multiple computers, stream on all TVs in every room all at the same time.

Last edited:

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Honestly I’ve gone from having no wi-fi connectivity upstairs, a buffering TV in the dining room, to full connection all around the house.

A techie at work tried to explain what it does, something to do with wi-fi 6, but it’s the best money I’ve spent.

I’ve bought the 3-pack - Amazon eero 6+ mesh Wi-Fi 6... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZK15LWW/?tag=cliospnet01-21 think I’d need one in each room downstairs and 1 upstairs, but I reckon I could’ve got away with 2.

I had 300 plus MB before and it was no better than the 100mb I downgraded to. The techie explained it was the hubs that virgin use. I can now run multiple computers, stream on all TVs in every room all at the same time.

Perfect cheers! I was also looking at the three pack!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on the M350 too wouldn't mind the upgrade to the new Hub as I'm still using Hub3. I've thought about running it in modem mode for a while, works fine wired but wireless definitely eats a chunk of the speed no matter how good a signal I have.

Was looking at this one don't really need boosters only living in a flat.

Deal: TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX1800 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router, OneMeshâ„¢ Supported, Dual-Core CPU, TP-Link HomeShield, Ideal for Gaming Xbox/PS4/Steam, Plug and Play (Archer AX23) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09VPRWGR7/?tag=cliospnet01-21

340i
From day 1 I've ran my Virgin Hub in Modem mode... Utilising my own TP-Link router and OneMesh wireless repeaters around the house.

My router is approx. 3yrs old and a basic model, I'll probably upgrade at some point - but honestly I've had zero issues.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I have a decent router with the VM hub in modem mode, been running it for a few years. I get signal 140ft away at the bottom of the garden, also still had it when round at a neighbours house. The VM connection is great as soon as you aren't using their hubs for wifi

340i
Just received my free Hub 5, cannot see it making much difference (As I run in Modem mode)... Looking at specs, compared to my old Hub 3 the biggest difference is the jump to Wi-fi 6 and a faster 2.5Gbps ethernet port.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just received my free Hub 5, cannot see it making much difference (As I run in Modem mode)... Looking at specs, compared to my old Hub 3 the biggest difference is the jump to Wi-fi 6 and a faster 2.5Gbps ethernet port.

How/why did you get this just requested one or hub 3 fuc#d?

340i
How/why did you get this just requested one or hub 3 fuc#d?

Virgin where offering free upgrades... Log-in your account to check eligibility :

I installed the Hub 5 last Friday, you then return your old Hub in the provided box (pre-paid courier label inside).