ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viva la 172

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive just gotten home from a drive. I couldnt sleep and there was nothing on the telly, so I thought why not take the car for a quick spin.

At first I just planned to go for a little sprint up the motorway and then home along the back routes but the plan was not followed.

About 10 minutes into the drive Im passed by a Supra doing about 140ish, so I speed up and follow, and he slows down, so I slow down to the speed limit again, not expecting much from him, when a 4x4 comes past and he pulls out and tucks in behind it. I follow again and now were all doing 160. The 4x4 pulls over and so does the Supra, so I change down to 4th and gun it up to 180, and the supra pulls out behind me and tailgates, so I indicate and pull over to the middle lane and so does he. we stay like this for 500m when he pulls over to take the next turn off, so I slow down again and carry on going to see what else I can find, cos I know he was just playing with me.

I eventually get to the other side of the city and think Im heading home now so I take the next turn-off that I know will lead me home. at the top of the offramp is a set of lights, and 100m down the road in the direction Im travelling, are some flashing police lights, but Ive done nothing wrong, what am I worried about, so the lights go green and I carry on below the speed limit and driving like a proper citizen, but low and behold (as well as knowing my luck), a copper walks into the middle of the road and indicates that I should pull over. I pull over, stop the engine, and open the window. The cop walks up to me, asks for my licence, says Ive got a nice motor, gives it a good looking over, hands back my licence, asks where Im going, then says nice motor one more time and lets me go...oh well no harm done, and I carry on.

Now comes the bit Im chuffed about...:)

At this one set of lights, I pull up next to a 5 series Beemer, look over my right shoulder but the guy is staring straight ahead, so I ignore him, and when the lights turn green, I head off at a slighty accelerated rate but nothing anyone would bother about. Next set of lights, the Beemer pulls up next to me, and the the lights turn green and I shoot off.

Eventually we get to a set of lights which are situated on a reletively straight dual carriage way which is on a slight incline, so that Im facing up the hill.

Mr. Beemer pulls up level with me, the lights turn green, and this time he pulls off slightly faster than I do, so I compensate and keep level. Next thing I hear is his rear tyre losing grip and squealing a little cos he has plastered his foot on the gas, so Im game and do the same. He is about 3/4 of a cars length ahead of me, but as my revs climb I begin to pass him, and this doesnt stop till we get to the top of the incline doing about 160 where Im 3 car lengths ahead of him and there is a bit of a blind bend so I think Ive proven my point and the 172 is a car to be reckoned with:D, and he carries on, but as I thought would happen there is traffic, and I cant really see what model his car is. I evenually catch up to him and hes in a 540i:eek:

I am very impressed with my little Renault Rocket because from everything Ive read, the 540i series of cars doesnt have a 0-62 of more than 7.14 and the faster ones (manual) having a 0-62 of 6.6

So Ive come to the following conclusions.
Either 1. his newish 540i is knackered, but I doubt that from its condition
2. he drives like an idiot
3. my car is pretty quick for a 172
4. my car is modified and I know nothing of it
5. Im a damn good driver.

Im inclined to believe in number 3 :D

good on ya fella!

i had a car with its lovely xenons up my arse for ages tonight, we came up to a speed camera, drop down to 50mph, i knocked it into 3rd, and floored it, i could tell he did too, as his headlights moved up as he accelerated (rear of car bein pushed and stuff) anyway i kept gettin further and furter until the next camera, and same again, third time i went off for a bit, he was further back and i thought he hadgiven up, no such luck as he had decided to make some space then plant it, i noticed as i saw him flyin closer, i punched it down to 4th! as he got about 4 car lengths away, my foot was to the floor, and he stopped gainin we were level until i hit 4.500rpm then i was leavin slowly but surly again!!!!

i let him pass later down the road, he was a young kinda bloke and stuck thumbs up, it was wen he went past i saw the 3.0 badge on the back of the jag stype! or was it a x?? the one that rover built one similar to anyway.

whoopee! makes me feel betta after bein absolutel killed by one of those new lexus coupe sport thingys the other week, i felt gutted till i caught up down the road and he told me it was a V8! Furry muff! made me feel betta!

CTR EK9 turbo

Cool! keep up the good work guys! I drove a 540i auto and they dont hang about, although im sure theyre very heavy - but do push out 286 bhp which is not to be sniffed at. If it had been you driving the 540 im sure the outcome would be a bit different.

I had a race off the lights against an 840 and this was when my car was very new and it was pretty even - i wasnt used to my car etc.

540i only does 0-100 in 17.7s so theres very little in it between a 172, plus if it was an auto you can add at least another few seconds to that time.

Still its a relatively quick car for its size. My GFs dads got a 540i and a Sierra Cossie, but my little Sax is quicker than both of them ;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

yeah thats what I was saying:

540i Steptronic 0-62 = 7.14

540i Manual 0-62 = 6.6

Both these time are bette than the 172s

Didnt know the 0-100 of the 540 but seeing that I can say its a case of whoever gets the rubber going first should win which makes me very impressed cos he got 3/4 of a car length ahead before the race really began.

p.s. I love the slight wheelspin in 2nd and almost in third. Didnt know that was possible with 205/45/16" tyres.