ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volkswagen Lupo - Fantasia Green. Show prep

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Volkswagen Lupo – Fantasia Green.

This car belongs to one of the admins of car club “OEModified” (http://www.oemodified.com/), a Lincolnshire based car community with some 25 elite members and 160 forum users that travel the country attending shows & exhibitions, running open days and who organise weekly meets for their local OE members.

Ami, the Lupo owner, was to show her car at this years ‘Modified Nationals’ at Peterborough showground. Her car was to be part of the Dodo Juice trade stand indoors so it had to look its best…

Work was carried out over Wednesday and the Thursday. On the Friday morning, early hours, the car was collected from the unit to be driven direct to P’borough showground in readiness for Sat & Sunday’s show.

If you’re a sit back, relax with a brew and a biscuit kinda person then watch this video for the job highlights:

[video]http://youtu.be/8ptWVU8t-is?hd=1[/video]

If not, read on!

Product

· 3M Ultra Fina
· 3M Extra Fine
· 3M FastCut+
· 3M Glass Cleaner
· AMDetails mild clay bar
· AutoSmart G101
· AutoSmart Hazsafe
· AutoSmart Tardis
· Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
· Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
· Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
· Dodo Juice Supernatural wax
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime
· IPA (isopropyl alcohol)
· Meguiars Last Touch
· Meguiars Super Degreaser
· Meguiars 105 Ultra Cut Compound
· Menzerna 85 RD 3.02 Intensive Polish
· Menzerna 203s Power Finish
· Zaino Z6

Car in question:

DSC_0086.jpg

Obviously they’re not its normal wheels! The “mk2 golf smoothies” were off the car being resprayed in readiness for show.

First glimpse at the defects:

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

The whole car, prior to Ami’s ownership, has been resprayed. Every panel was left with a crazy haze caused by masses of DA sanding marks and buffertrails from the bodyshop. This wasn’t going to be as easy as originally hoped…

Outside ready for the wet work.

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

Doorshuts greasy and suffering from overspray in areas.

DSC_0098.jpg

Tackled with Megs Degreaser and AS Tardis to help shift the stubborn stuff:

DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg

Before pre-washing the car with foam, 10 minutes were spent hitting the intricate areas with the pressure washer to release trapped grit etc from behind window rubbers, panel gaps and the undercarriage.

In this instance, the rear window seem had accumulated lots of muck and potential damage material that can otherwise cause issues later on if not removed.

DSC_0103.jpg

Washed with the usual pre-rinse, pre-wash, two bucket approach.

DSC_0102.jpg

A few tiny tar deposits were removed off the rear end:

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

Lupo then clayed with AMDetails’ mild clay bar and Megs Last Touch used as lube.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Blown dry with the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer and we can now see the true condition of the paint…

General swirling/machine buffertrails:

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

Random blemishes:

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

Deeper scratches:

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0123.jpg

And “pig tailing” caused by DA sanding:

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

As you can see, some areas of the car were pretty shocking… Had this of been a darker coloured Lupo, the sanding marks wouldn’t have just stole the colour and clarity of the finish, but they’d have stuck out like a sore thumb! Terrible finishing by the bodyshop; still amazes me how they can get away with it.

Thickness measurements confirming the bonnet had seen paint:

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

When you get in close, the finish was dire:

DSC_0138.jpg

After a few experiments, it was noted that the paint is rock hard!

A 3M Cutting Pad with FastCut+ & a blob of Ultra Fina, we’re left with this finish:

DSC_0140.jpg

OK, better, but you can see, these ‘pig tails’ are deep and will require much more work to chase out completely.

A before/after with the LED brinkman as opposed to halogen light:

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

A Lake Country foamed wool pad was used with low speeds ~1500-1800 RPM and Megs 105 Ultra Cut Compound. Each section was compounded a minimum of three times; sometimes hitting an area 5/6 times before I was happy with the correction achieved.

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg
DSC_0205.jpg

A quick check on the O/S/F wing:

DSC_0193.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

Later refined (again, after many compounding passes) with Menz 85RD 3.02 and a 3M yellow polishing pad.

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

50/50 between O/S wing and door:

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

Sticking with Megs 105 and the foamed wool pad, I work down the O/S door.

Before:

DSC_0245.jpg

After two heavy hits: (look at the single halogen’s outline; you can still see its hazy and marked)

DSC_0246.jpg

And then after many more passes and refinement:

DSC_0247.jpg

Small tough to reach areas tackled with 3M spot pads:

DSC_0248.jpg
DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

Looking up at the O/S/R wing, I spot this:

DSC_0252.jpg

Awesome!

Many hits later:

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

Petrol filler cap tricky due to delicate decals:

DSC_0255.jpg

By this point, I’d learnt that it was a bit of a pig (Sorry Ami) to work with. No two panels were the same… Some, I couldn’t continue to use wool and had to switch to foam. Some, I could put too much heat into and had to make several long slow passes. Some, some just didn’t want to be polished at all! Check the O/S C-Pillar after my first compounding stage:

DSC_0256.jpg

The polish had welded itself in. I forget the pad and polish combination now but it was the same as what was used below on the larger rear quarter panel. Weird.

Working around this with various finishing pads and polish. After:

DSC_0257.jpg

Wing mirrors with Menz 85RD 3.02 on a yellow polishing pad:

DSC_0269.jpg

The boot-lid was (pretty much) free from sanding marks, but instead, suffered badly from deep random scratches.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

Some marks remained; losing count of how many compounding passes were being made, I didn’t want to push for 100% as A) its almost impossible and B) a good amount of the clearcoat had been removed already – compromise had to be made.

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

Rear lights 50/50:

DSC_0284.jpg

O/S complete. I think that was about it for Day 1…

DSC_0288.jpg

Early start on the second day and trouble already…

DSC_0292.jpg

The exact same problem on the N/S C-Pillar as what I had on the O/S. Pain!

Deeper marks around the door handle:

DSC_0295.jpg

On the passenger door, before and after:

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

If using wool (although same applies for foam pads, too) it’s very important that you keep the pad well spurred and free of polish clumping and dust.

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

Continuing to use the same pad as above without cleaning it would undoubtedly lead to swirls and circular scratches being induced during your polishing set.

After every set, take a stiff bristled brush (I used the Megs triple duty), a spritz or water and allow the pad to spin; removing all dusting and clumps before moving on.

DSC_0300.jpg

More sanding marks on the N/S edge of the bonnet:

DSC_0306.jpg

Bonnet complete:

DSC_0308.jpg

Rear bumper.

DSC_0310.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

Finally, after some 16 hours polishing, the machine work was complete.

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

Dusting removed from panel gaps and crevices with a concentrated blast with the pressure washer.

DSC_0317.jpg
DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

*eek*, good timing, think it might be about to rain:

DSC_0321.jpg

Little toe-eye covers cleaned and replaced.

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

Vehicle, once fully dried, wiped down with isopropyl alcohol, glazed by hand with Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite and then protected with Dodo’s Supernatural wax.

Panel gaps, badges, grilles, lights, locks, seems, shuts and sills wiped and ‘toothpickery’ work commenced to ensure no polish residues remain.

Glass cleaned inside and out with 3M’s glass cleaner.

Arch linings dressed with Megs All Season Dressing.

Exterior plastic trim treated to Chemical Guys’ New Look Trim Gel.

Show wheels returned to the car and replaced.

Some final ‘studio’ shots the night before collection on the big day.

(Please note (as if it’s not obvious) some of the following shots have been tweaked and edited digitally)

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg
DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

Some interior details: (she’s a clever girl is our Ami!)

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg
DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

Early hours Friday morning – wiped with Zaino Z6 and road ready.

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

And finally at the Modified Nationals 2011 show on Dodo Juice’s trade stand:

e9be1af9.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

Ami was thrilled. Stunned! I saw the car in person on the Saturday afternoon and it did look well. So good infact, that, Sunday, with the show ‘n shine awards, Ami picked up a trophie for the “most outstanding trade stand car”.

f8ed620b.jpg

588ec725.jpg
DSC_0356.jpg

A fantastic achievement and a brilliant end to a manic, long weekend. Massive congratulations to Ami and Stuart for their hard work on the Lupo and a big thanks to Dodo themselves. Cheers PJ and Dom.

Overall, ~21 hours put into this one. Well worth it in the end.

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Amazing how many different shades of green it has in different lights!

Does look lush mind, good effort!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Cheers all.

Halfway round a monaco 172, something for you to watch out for! :cool:

Toby, ha! I spiotted your car; I was going to tag it with a business card but forgot. Gah. (Yep, pizza was all good; 'cept the waiter tried to kill me with a falling bottle of red wine!)

MINI FJCW
Your work is absolutely stunning. I would definitely be tempted to come and give you a visit once I get a half decent motor.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Great write-up, as always. If I actually went out and polished my car every time I felt inspired to after reading one of your threads, I'd be polishing bare panels :(

Car looked awesome, first Lupo I've liked, and I hope you got your share of the credit for its (deserved) award!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Much appreciated.

Did you see the car in person, Marc?

I wasn't a fan of the show; trying to chat to Dom from Dodo but I was having to shout because of the noise! Some 'interesting' people around, too. :rasp:

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
No, I didn't - one of my mates went and I've seen hundreds of photos of the cars there. Some of the Show & Shine cars looked fantastic, but even from the photos, the Lupo seemed to be years ahead, so I wish I had seen it in person! I'm also dead keen on seeing some of your work in person, I feel I could learn a hell of a lot!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
My worry about working with show cars is, once the car has been handed over, its then the owners' responsibility to correctly prep it from then on. Luckily, the weather was fine Friday morning and apparently the car literally just needed a dust down. It could literally be that one wipe or one wash that ruins my hard work; this is my fear!

The monaco blue Clio I'm halfway round, that will be at the French Car Show this weekend so keep an eye out for it if you're going? Currently pushing for 90%+ correction - it's a swirly beast!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
True, I bet you heaved a sigh of relief when you discovered that she'd won an award, and hadn't ruined your efforts!

C3 Picasso Beast
The monaco blue Clio I'm halfway round, that will be at the French Car Show this weekend so keep an eye out for it if you're going? Currently pushing for 90%+ correction - it's a swirly beast!

How insulting ;)

Thanks for the update pics, can't wait to see the final results!

C3 Picasso Beast
Don't forget the sponge, chamois and one bucket method too as I'm sure they all helped with things :eek:

As I said I knew no better at the time and it's only since being on here I realised what a mess I'd actually created!