ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vvt cam info?

hi all, i have a 172 phase 1, when the car is on idle and only when engine is warm theirs a horrible rattley knocky sort of noise very hard to describe but my first thought was it was a tensioner bearing or something along them lines, gave it to mates dad who took aux belt off checked pulleys ect then took cambelt off and checked everything and said it all seemed ok and he thinks its something to do with the vvt cam but he doesnt no alot about how they work? does anyone know anything about these? could it be that? also if it could be how much to get fixed? sorry for the long story, thanks for any help!

PH1 172 Sport
Could be the dephaser. Do a search in the engine section and see if you can find any similar symtoms to yours.

BTW I hope yours mates dad knew what he was doing with the cam belt i.e he had the proper renault tools for the job.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 PH2
hi all, i have a 172 phase 1, when the car is on idle and only when engine is warm theirs a horrible rattley knocky sort of noise very hard to describe but my first thought was it was a tensioner bearing or something along them lines, gave it to mates dad who took aux belt off checked pulleys ect then took cambelt off and checked everything and said it all seemed ok and he thinks its something to do with the vvt cam but he doesnt no alot about how they work? does anyone know anything about these? could it be that? also if it could be how much to get fixed? sorry for the long story, thanks for any help!

i got told it was the fuel vapour valve under engine drivers side about 50 quid from reno:)

ok cheers ill have a look into that, will be good if its only gonna cost me £50. where abouts on drivers side is the full vapour valve? cause if i can get close to it ill see if i can hear if thats where its coming from? also are they easy to fit?

The carbon canister is a piece of piss to remove but it doesnt sound like that to be honest. It will tick but it wont knock, Possibly the depahser?

no its not on start up, its fine when i start up from cold, its when its been running for a couple of mins. ill have a look at drRollo's posts tho thanks!

does anyone no how to disconect the charcoal cannister and is this possible to do to see if it is this that is causing the problem?

does anyone no how to disconect the charcoal cannister and is this possible to do to see if it is this that is causing the problem?

Sit the car idling and you should hear the thing clikcing away.

i don't recon the canister is the issue more likly the vvt cam.