ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VVT/Dephaser pulley

clio sport 172 2001
hi i have a clio sport 172 2001 and i need a new dephaser pulley/vvt does anybody know where i could get one new quite cheapish?

thanx

kieran

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
LoL - Renault I'm afraid as it is a dealer only part! The part will also need fitting by a competent person who knows what they're doing with the timing on your vehicle as it's not exactly a cheap and easy part to replace.... deffo not a DIY swap! The cheapest I can supply one for is £156 but that price doesn't include postage.

I've got loads of second hand ones but I wouldn't recommend fitting one of them.

Mick

172,scenic, trafic
they come up on ebay a fair bit as people misbuy them to cure a rattle then it turns out its a big end or something. was one one e bay last week.
i paid a third of new price for a new one from e bay

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I might put my entire scrap pile on eBay then to raise some cash for lapdances then and offer no form of warranty on them :lol:

172,scenic, trafic
it w asnt used, they bought it as they were advised thats w hat it was and while waiting for it to arrive they worked out it hd a big end gone. bolt e tc was unused and cap etc still on it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's fine, if you have the tools, time and know-how but seeing as you've done this job would you like to repeat it all the time?

I've got about 30 at the minute in the bin that weren't rattling but did show signs of 'play'... lets say £20 a pop?

172,scenic, trafic
i would do it for my own car but not someone elses. and there are quite often second hand ones on ebay that have done probably loads of miles but people still sell them. should you sell them? well i guess as long as youre honest about them and someone still wants to buy them then thats up to them. but i guess y ou are an honest business with a reputation to keep up so wouldnt be a good idea

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I have a dephaser sitting in the garage, only done 3k miles then the aux belt kitted the engine, im in 2 minds wether or not to sell it, the recipt is somewhere but is it worth the risk..

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You buy the Maccies and i'll bring the beer - then we go for Lapdances later eh Fred?

Golf GTD Mk7
Out of interest, how do you know if they're knackered if not on the car? I would assume as a rule don't reuse them, but i've always wondered.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You don't really as they need to be under bolt tension to test for 'play' in the inner/outer assembly... any free play = bin IMO and that's what the Renault tech doc says to.

Ph2 Flamer
Well mines borked and the way it was shown to me was you warm the engine up and rev the engine back and forth from below 1800 rpm to above which is the 'interface' between where the dephaser cuts in and out (i'm sure someone can explain that better). With the hood up if the dephaser is starting to go you hear a sort of wierd clattery noise (hard to describe) and as the oil gets up to temp it gets worse and sounds more and more like a tractor.

From reading a few threads on here it's not often they go completely, but if/when they do you're looking at a big bill, much the same as if your cam belt snapped