ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VX220 to V6

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Hi all,

First post here, so please be gentle...

I've currently got a 2.2 VX220, which i've had for a couple of years now. I've been thinking about a range of cars to replace it with this year. I'm pretty sure i want a V6 though.

I was wondering if anyone had owned a VX or Elise and then bought the Clio V6 on here? If so, what have your experiences been? How do they compare? The car will be my daily drive (as is the vx) - so i'm thinking it'll be more comfortable, and practical - but i can also use it on the track every 6 months ish.

So if anyone has any experience with both, it'd be very useful to hear your comments.

:cheers:

Mark

Clio_Smart
Re: VX220 into a V6

There is a member on here who owns a vx220 and a clio but not sure its a V6 i think its a 172 it might be christurbo who has these.

An orange one
There is an old autocar article i have from 2005 i think, they put the v6 mk2 against the vxr220...and rated the v6 higher for driver involvement and fun!

vx220
There is an old autocar article i have from 2005 i think, they put the v6 mk2 against the vxr220...and rated the v6 higher for driver involvement and fun!

Eh??? You sure? the vxr220 is a track beast and is far more involving than a v6 barge.

CTR--VX220D
Hi mark who are you from .org?

I was going to do the V6 thing but I wasnt impressed IMO... bought a 172 and spent the rest of the cash on upgrades for the track ... its now very formidable with the same steering feel as the VX ... and very quick!

The V6 is quite quick but not as fast as you think - but will still feel quick coming from the VX, but I hope you have deep pockets as the cost of ownership goes up alot! a Cambelt, waterpump, and aux is at least £900 dep on where you go. The insurance is alot more too.

Buy a MK2 if you are going for one - it has been completely redisigned for much better handling and more power... some say the MK1 was unfinished, dangerous, and handled like an old porker.

Id have my tracked out 172 over a V6 anyday though ;).

EDIT: lol @ the comment on the VXR220 - is that a joke???

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Hi Chris,

Yeah i'm on the .org site :)

I heard the MK1's are a bit of a handful, and the MK2's were the one to go for if your going down that route.

Mark

vx220
350z makes far more sense to me at least. But then again your on a renault sport forum here so your going to get biased views in regards to the Vee.
I think chris speaks the truth as regards to getting a 172/182 etc, buth then again how about a 182 trophy?

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
yeah i think i will have to add one of those to the list too. I must admit, part of the V6's appeal (and the vx220's for that matter) is that you never see them on the road, and so feel pretty special.

yeah i think i will have to add one of those to the list too. I must admit, part of the V6's appeal (and the vx220's for that matter) is that you never see them on the road, and so feel pretty special.

but youve got to remember 80% of the public will just think your in a clio with a max power bodykit stuck on it.

vx220
Thats people perseption in the general public mate, not my own. Countless owners have been asked where there body kit is from. Fact is alot of people dont know that a 2litre clio exists let alone a V6.

Lotus Elise 111R
I had an elise then bought a 172 ph2.

I absolutely loved the elise, used it everyday for 18months, tracked both in UK and Europe, never had a moments trouble from it in 25000 miles, and sold it for the real possibility of needing 4 seats at some point, with two young sons now, which knocked out the V6...

However I did try both the V6 and the 172, but when I tried the V6 though, it did'nt SEEM any faster than the 172, just made a lovely noise, and looks great, but the extra purchase cost and, as someone has already mentioned, the running costs, put me back squarely at the 172 and I have to say, I have been very impressed over the last 20,000 miles.

Being perfectly honest, the elise is rearing it's head again in my mind, as we have a "big" car as well....and I would swap back tomorrow, if I did'nt get back in my beautiful 172 and go for a run, which is just fabulous and so much fun, because then it makes you wonder why you should have to put up with needing to bend your self double to get in, and carrying a towel for when the water gets in!!!!

Actually I have answered my own question, the elise shortfalls are forgiven as soon as you turn that first corner...oh dear....

Yaris Hybrid
I'd swap maybe for a Mk2 V6 but not for the Mk1 V6.

The Mk1 V6 isn't massively more practical and is no quicker than a 182. However it is more comfortable than the VX.

If you are looking at a Mk1 instead of a Mk2 then to be honest I think you would be better off with a 182 or if you must have something that looks more sporty go for a compromise with an S2k.

The V6 was the worse on fuel out of all of the above for what it is worth whilst they all have similer peformance.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Thanks 172, much appreciated.

Luckily my wife just got herself a micra so we now have a "big car" too. The dog likes it a lot more than sitting on my her lap (harnessed up). But yes, i do have the obligatory towel behind the seats for those damp moments, and a bad back after driving it for an hour. As you say, you just need to drive it with clear roads and all its downfalls are quickly forgotten. I've even found myself talking it up to people saying it doesnt have power steering / leccy windows etc etc - "even the heater doesn't heat the car"

One of my worries, is that i make the change, only to always hamper after the vx again.

I think i just need to get out there and test drive one...

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
What I don't understand is the point where some people are saying a V6 Mk1 is not faster than a 182. My V6 Mk1 felt absolutely slower than my 182, but it was defo quicker on a straight line.
Now did I have a quick V6 or do I have a slow 182?

Lotus Elise 111R
Thanks 172, much appreciated.

Luckily my wife just got herself a micra so we now have a "big car" too. The dog likes it a lot more than sitting on my her lap (harnessed up). But yes, i do have the obligatory towel behind the seats for those damp moments, and a bad back after driving it for an hour. As you say, you just need to drive it with clear roads and all its downfalls are quickly forgotten. I've even found myself talking it up to people saying it doesnt have power steering / leccy windows etc etc - "even the heater doesn't heat the car"

One of my worries, is that i make the change, only to always hamper after the vx again.

I think i just need to get out there and test drive one...

Yes do that, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and as christurbo said, you can go back....I probably will/wont/will/wont...or sod it!! Let me know how you find the test drive....

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
A mate of mine had a VX a couple of years ago and ever since selling it he has regretted it and wanted another one...especially after coming out in mine a few times! After the VX he had a Focus RS and now drives a Mini cooper s yet he is still pining over the VX.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
V6 = Ultimate chav chariot

:rolleyes: :lolup:

Somebody educate this guy (continuing the ridiculous analogy then VX220/Convertible 2 seater = hairdressers chariot)

I don't see many 'Chavs' driving V6 Clio's, yet if Chav = Baseball cap and bling, then the entire chav population is driving convertibles including Vauxhall variants...

Who cares what 80% of the incontinent over 80 and still driving / women with children/ drivers who drive to get osmewhere and don't give a rats ass about cars in general etc think...

Those in the know will know what a V6 is...

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
What I don't understand is the point where some people are saying a V6 Mk1 is not faster than a 182. My V6 Mk1 felt absolutely slower than my 182, but it was defo quicker on a straight line.
Now did I have a quick V6 or do I have a slow 182?

I thought the same coming from a 172 Cup.

Remember V6 equals nearly 400kg heavier...

It delivers its power in a completely different manner....very linear! No 5K kick or whatever that myth is supposed to be...

You don't think you're getting anywhere until you look at the car behind and the speedo a few seconds later...

There isn't a lot in it really though as countless previous discussions have concluded...anyone who claims there is, is well, silly to say the least!

I got over the speed thing years ago....its more than that. A real driver's car is a lot more than 0-60 and A-B as quick as you can...

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Thats people perseption in the general public mate, not my own. Countless owners have been asked where there body kit is from. Fact is alot of people dont know that a 2litre clio exists let alone a V6.

'The General Public?' Thats a bit narrow mate isn't it. As I said above 99% of the general public don't give a rats ass about cars and those who cooment about a Clio with a maxed out bodykit are generally chavs themselves who also know nothing about cars. I certainly don't drive to impress them...those in the know (like yourself) should have a certain ammount (ok a lot) of respect for one of the worlds finest motoring experiments.

Oh, and a lot of people have never heard of Vauxhall either mate...:lolup:

Hi all,

I've currently got a 2.2 VX220, which i've had for a couple of years now. I've been thinking about a range of cars to replace it with this year. I'm pretty sure i want a V6 though.

I was wondering if anyone had owned a VX or Elise and then bought the Clio V6 on here? If so, what have your experiences been? How do they compare? The car will be my daily drive (as is the vx) - so i'm thinking it'll be more comfortable, and practical - but i can also use it on the track every 6 months ish.

So if anyone has any experience with both, it'd be very useful to hear your comments.

Mark

I went from a VX220 to Clio Cup. I've been out in the V6 and it does seem involving but they are not as fast and I would think only equally involving.

Have you modded your VX any? I took mine to an AMD stage 2 which gave it near 170bhp and similar in torque. You could even go for the 190bhp amd stage 3. It'll cost you a couple of grand but the car is noticeably quicker. Stuart from .org has done that to a tubby and thats been pretty good. Just get new wheels, brakes and suspension and the car is a track monster. With stge 3 on an N/A it's just as quick as a tubby and in my opinion nicer to drive.

I then kept the Clio 172 Cup as a road car and bought one of the cup racers which is a massive step from the VX and clio 172 cup. The V6 are quick but I'm not sure they will be better than what you have now. I used to long for the drop top exhaust note too plus they are a hot looking car...and cheaper to run by miles. you could do all the mods above for the cost of running the V6.....

If it's the 'special' feeling then thats different...

stick with VX and buy some toys for it!

CTR--VX220D
Hi all,

Mark

I went from a VX220 to Clio Cup. I've been out in the V6 and it does seem involving but they are not as fast and I would think only equally involving.

Have you modded your VX any? I took mine to an AMD stage 2 which gave it near 170bhp and similar in torque. You could even go for the 190bhp amd stage 3. It'll cost you a couple of grand but the car is noticeably quicker. Stuart from .org has done that to a tubby and thats been pretty good. Just get new wheels, brakes and suspension and the car is a track monster. With stge 3 on an N/A it's just as quick as a tubby and in my opinion nicer to drive.

I then kept the Clio 172 Cup as a road car and bought one of the cup racers which is a massive step from the VX and clio 172 cup. The V6 are quick but I'm not sure they will be better than what you have now. I used to long for the drop top exhaust note too plus they are a hot looking car...and cheaper to run by miles. you could do all the mods above for the cost of running the V6.....

I wouldnt bother modding the VX220 NA for power increases unless you bolting on a supercharger. I had induction and exhaust and was happy with the noise.

I went to the TMS RR meet and when my car was std it made exactly the manufacturer claims. However I had mates who had a STG 2+ remap with full exhaust and sports cat + custom SS induction and it made +1bhp more than mine - a total waste of a few grand IMO.

The STG 1 is well worth it - it wont give you any power increase but will improve throttle response by implimenting full throttle higher up in the fly by wire pedal. I also remember that thorney said that only 80% of throttle is used - but the remap will give the full 100%.

If your supercharging then that makes much more sense!

TB's - well I wont even go there lol ;)

golf r32 dsg
ive had 3 182s 1 vx220 and 1 mk2 v6.

if i had the choice and wasent to bothered about costs i would have the vee a truelly awesum piece of kit, and the sound is probbly nothing you would have drove before i have a sound clip somewere.

i liked the vx220 but ended going back to a 182 for various reason.

all i would say is test drive a 182 probbly a trophy and then a vee and make sure u put ya foot down the engine noice will give u the biggest smile ever!!!!!

and for some reason i keep going back to 182s

I wouldnt bother modding the VX220 NA for power increases unless you bolting on a supercharger. I had induction and exhaust and was happy with the noise.

I went to the TMS RR meet and when my car was std it made exactly the manufacturer claims. However I had mates who had a STG 2+ remap with full exhaust and sports cat + custom SS induction and it made +1bhp more than mine - a total waste of a few grand IMO.

The STG 1 is well worth it - it wont give you any power increase but will improve throttle response by implimenting full throttle higher up in the fly by wire pedal. I also remember that thorney said that only 80% of throttle is used - but the remap will give the full 100%.

If your supercharging then that makes much more sense!

TB's - well I wont even go there lol ;)

Interesting, I had a rr done on mine and got those numbers.....

It was a miltek and all the rest he had on it?

I certainly found mine a completely different car...