ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wanna trade my cup for a 172

172, Tiguan

You will need to contact Reno Finance and get a settlement figure. That figure is then what it will cost you to own the car. Once you have done that you are then allowed to sell the car privatly.

If you trade the car in the dealer will obvoiusly sort out the finance, but the part exchange value they give you for the car may not cover the entire settlement figure, in which case you will have to make up the shortfall.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

You will get stung for this one...

Will cost you a lot of money to do this, so you need to ask yourself if its really worht it?!

Surely you knew what you were doing when you bought the Cup over the 172 in the first place???

172, Tiguan

On the two occasions ive done this, Ive waited untill the finance agreement is 18 months old. Roughly speaking the car is worth the settlement figure at this point.

might work out cheaper to turn your cup into a 172 with a smashed up 172. Think a new ecu is needed for air-con though

Ziel Nurburgring

The ECU needs to cope with ABS and ESP as well i think. Not worth trying to "upgrade" a cup as the ABS, ESP, brakes, interior etc etc.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Why not ? some people wanna give up luxuries for a few milliseconds quicker acceleration.. some people wanna give up a few ms for luxuries.. its his descision.

The Cup isnt all that different to the 172. I drove a Cup for the first time yesterday, so ive now driven 172 MK1 and MK2 and the 172 Cup. I reckon the Cup is a more comfortable place to be than my MK1 172! Only thing its really missing for me is the air con.

I have to ask the same question. You will still be in the same poorly built ratlling, creaky interior and dashboard. The A/C would be nice but half leather in a Clio makes no difference whatsoever. Oh and you would be in a slower car. If are gonna change look at a LCR or a CTR. Going to a standard 172 is a step backwards IMHO.

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 05 January 2004

The Cup isnt all that different to the 172. I drove a Cup for the first time yesterday, so ive now driven 172 MK1 and MK2 and the 172 Cup. I reckon the Cup is a more comfortable place to be than my MK1 172! Only thing its really missing for me is the air con.
Having driven one now, Id still go for a 172 over a Cup.....the Cup had an even worse rattle than my worse rattle!!!

VaVa

Why not change? youll get quite a few extras if you get a 172. Im confused by the half-leather in a Clio making no difference whatsoever comment. Climate Control is good if thats what you want. Xenons are awesome. The wheels are easier to clean. Newer models have Cruise Control with speed limiter. And youll get a boot net. And a spare wheel. And a tool kit. And no tacky blue bits on you dash. And all the other stuff like ABS, ESP, Traction Control. And floor mats. How can it be a step backwards? Sideways granted, but not backwards.

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 05 January 2004

Why not change? youll get quite a few extras if you get a 172. Im confused by the half-leather in a Clio making no difference whatsoever comment. Climate Control is good if thats what you want. Xenons are awesome. The wheels are easier to clean. Newer models have Cruise Control with speed limiter. And youll get a boot net. And a spare wheel. And a tool kit. And no tacky blue bits on you dash. And all the other stuff like ABS, ESP, Traction Control. And floor mats. How can it be a step backwards? Sideways granted, but not backwards.

Backwards in performance. At the end of the day, the main reason you get one of these cars is for performance surely??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

whats a few ms between friends though right ? look at all the stuff he is gaining..

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 05 January 2004

Backwards in performance. At the end of the day, the main reason you get one of these cars is for performance surely??
The 172 can be made to handle better than the Cup for the sake of a £100 set of springs. The Cup I drove yesterday had a softer steering feel to my own 172 on its 25mm lowering springs.

IMHO, the Cup looks great in its blue colour and those gorgeous wheels, but the difference in performance is just barely noticeable on the road. I know this for a fact!

Granted the Cup is 0.3 seconds quicker than a 172 over a 1/4 mile (up to about 95mph), but Id rather have a 172 MK2 full of toys, lowered to sort out the handling.

PS: Should say that it is all down to personal preference at the end of the day :cool:

The 172 can be made to handle better than the Cup for the sake of a £100 set of springs. The Cup I drove yesterday had a softer steering feel to my own 172 on its 25mm lowering springs.

IMHO, the Cup looks great in its blue colour and those gorgeous wheels, but the difference in performance is just barely noticeable on the road. I know this for a fact!

Granted the Cup is 0.3 seconds quicker than a 172 over a 1/4 mile (up to about 95mph), but Id rather have a 172 MK2 full of toys, lowered to sort out the handling.

PS: Should say that it is all down to personal preference at the end of the day :cool:

You are spot on mate, personal preference is what its all about. Yours is creature comforts, mine is performance. Horses for courses.

Youre right - depends what your after in a car.

IMO the 172 is a fair bit different to the Cup. Not just milliseconds of speed, but the whole dynamics and handling of the car.

When I sat in, and drove both, when I was first considering a 172, the Cup actually felt the more quality out of the two - because it was taughter and tighter feeling. Coupled with the wow factor you get with the Cup, there was no contest (No matter how much I wanted those xenons, wasnt too bothered about the leather though...quality was an issue as far as I was concerned.)

At that time, if there was only the 172 as an option in the Renault line up and the Cup didnt exist, id have bought a CTR (second hand).

With the Cup, Renault have stuck to doing what they do best - performance and handling.
Stick with your Cup!!!

You are spot on mate, personal preference is what its all about. Yours is creature comforts, mine is performance. Horses for courses.
Mine is both actually, which is why Ive lightly modified the car. Does a 1/4 mile as fast as a standard Cup and the suspension is a lot stiffer and lower than a standard Cup.

Id lightly modify mine and be faster than you if I could be arsed ( and could take the hit on trade in value ). My Dad is bigger than you Dad!!!! ;)

Id lightly modify mine and be faster than you if I could be arsed ( and could take the hit on trade in value ). My Dad is bigger than you Dad!!!! ;)
Ha! Well, Ill turbocharge mine, cut off the roof and take a dump!

In all seriousness, when i sell it, itll go back to standard. I have all the original parts packed away in the cellar (bar one, and no one would be able to tell it was modded).

Ha! Well, Ill turbocharge mine, cut off the roof and take a dump!

In all seriousness, when i sell it, itll go back to standard. I have all the original parts packed away in the cellar (bar one, and no one would be able to tell it was modded).
LOL, they are both great cars mate, with the Cup being quicker and better handling, the 172 having A/C etc...Like I said before....horses for courses

clio sport 172

I spent months trying to decide between the cup and 172 and finally chose to go with the extra comforts and ditch the bus seat in the back of a cup for nice half leather and have no regrets whatsoever...but thats just my opinion. (just dreading a race with a cup now :D)

Dan

2012 WRX Waggon

Still LMAO!!

The Cup is a fantastic car, there is no doubt about it!

but ignoring the money side of things, for the few tenths u get extra - 90% of the time ur gonna be drivin it in traffic or on sh*tty roads, why not go for comfort?

BTW - I am 35 and getting creaky!!

If you really crave performance over comfort - buy a ZR6R - Half the price of a cup with millions of times the performance;)

well glad I got the 172 and not the cup.. but it is each to there own.

I wouldnt bother with it!

honestly from behind the wheel the 172 aint a lot different even if it is the better car ;)

personally Im going German next ie golf/seat with leather etc

Remapped derv Golf

Dont give a flying feck about the bus seat in the back on the CUP because I dont sit in it!!! I also think youll find the seat in the 172 is no more comfy - it just looks better.

Just because the 172 costs more doesnt mean its better built! They come for the same place and are put together by the same group on people on the production line. The cup may end up with more rattles because it does have all the sound proofing of the 172. The stiffer ride may also help knock things loose.

Quote: Originally posted by dannyh172 on 05 January 2004

I spent months trying to decide between the cup and 172 and finally chose to go with the extra comforts and ditch the bus seat in the back of a cup for nice half leather and have no regrets whatsoever...but thats just my opinion. (just dreading a race with a cup now :D)

Dan

Dan, you must be the 1st guy Ive known who looks at the back seat whan buying a 3dr hot hatch. :) Ill take being 1st over the line anytime ;)

i have thought before about changing the cup for the 172 too but money and finance wouldnt allow..then again i do seem to have a bad cup!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

If I were selling the Cup I doubt Id get another Clio...

...well, until the turbo one arrives!