ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wanting more power - Q's inside

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
As the title says basicly, im wanting more power from my 182, I've been looking at cams but honestly no idea what ones would be best .. and what would be the best way to get some good power from the car with out using ITB's or turbo (for now)

Anything apart from camming / map ?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Cams are the ONLY way to get any power out of it without the use of ITBs or a blower.

Even with cams, don't expect much over 190bhp

Cams + ITBs should see you just nudge 200.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
engine dynamics low boost turbo set up,iam going with this soon as i can figure out how to get the car up and back.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Cams are the ONLY way to get any power out of it without the use of ITBs or a blower.

Even with cams, don't expect much over 190bhp

Cams + ITBs should see you just nudge 200.

im on 176 now so 190 would be a pretty good result

Is there anything else on the engine i should change to keep it safe etc? like rod bolts?

my mates 172 with itb's does 198 roughly, cant remember the exactly figure and thats without cams! :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My PH1 with 421's made 192.1 at RS Tuning.

I also fitted ARP rod bolts

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
im on 176 now so 190 would be a pretty good result

Is there anything else on the engine i should change to keep it safe etc? like rod bolts?
My PH1 with 421's made 192.1 at RS Tuning.

I also fitted ARP rod bolts

would 421's be the best option then? i heard 438's would be a good choice as well for a pretty much stock engine .. ill be wanting to replace the bolts as well :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My PH1 was just a toy so i quite liked the lumpy ness of the 421's

Cayman S, RB 182
I'm looking at the same! Idea being 421 just now and at a later date I could add either one of the rs2 inlets or one of the fancy ebay cnc ones.

Where would be the best place to buy 421?

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Just trying to build up idea's of what i need and do some research before i go ahead :)
i've been looking at rs'2s as well but i've always loved the idea of ITB's!

421's seem a good start

My ported heads are £400, I don't do exchange sorry so you would need to send me a spare or your own..
Power wise on a standard engine I'm not sure as most people that get head work done have other modifications.
Phase1er had one of my heads to give you a idea.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
My ported heads are £400, I don't do exchange sorry so you would need to send me a spare or your own..
Power wise on a standard engine I'm not sure as most people that get head work done have other modifications.

That'll be on the list too :)

Listerine & Poledo
Do you do Mazda heads?

Just save your cash and get it turbod if you really want to keep the car. Or sell it and get something faster as you will never get any of that money back

Sorry I know this sounds too sensible

Listerine & Poledo
Just save your cash and get it turbod if you really want to keep the car. Or sell it and get something faster as you will never get any of that money back

Sorry I know this sounds too sensible
Complete common sense.
However, when it comes to cars, such things never apply.

@Cub. has the best front-dragging Clio I've had the privilege to be in but his power came from a dustbin full of £50 notes and a supercharger. All because he wanted a fast Clio, even though less money would have got him into an Elise or other such "better" cars

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Complete common sense.
However, when it comes to cars, such things never apply.

@Cub. has the best front-dragging Clio I've had the privilege to be in but his power came from a dustbin full of £50 notes and a supercharger. All because he wanted a fast Clio, even though less money would have got him into an Elise or other such "better" cars

Not strictly true. I wanted a fun track day toy which;

a) Is reasonably cheap to repair and run on track (15 inch tyres, cheap brake pads etc). I had a 911 C4S before the clio, and took it on track twice and discovered there was no way I could fund tracking it as much as I wanted to. So it got sold, and a track project and a daily became the norm for me.
b) I can fit in, and drive to and from tracks in the UK and abroad which don't make me weep into my cornflakes and visit a Spine surgeon. That ruled out MX5's and Elises etc.
c) There is a debate as to what a "better" car is depending on its use. Power to weight in a boosted clio is on a par with an Audi R8 4.2, a 991 Targa 4S and a BMW E46 M3 GTR. I am pretty certain I can't buy any of those for the same price the work on my clio has cost.

The long and short of it OP, is to get high power from an NA clio, you are talking more expense and I would only recommend it if you are committed to keeping the car for a reasonably long period of time and seeing use from the expense. I would also advocate going boosted over NA for outright power. The cost to power gain ratio is greater, so offers better value for money IMO. If you like NA because of the "feel" then go ahead, but it is alot of money to spend to get less power.

You invariably need a diff to use the power on track, so that is more expense. Then you'll want to tighten up the handling. More expense. The list can go on.

Listerine & Poledo
ITBS are expensive as im slowly finding out!!

but all down to what you want to do and your situation in life ect,

I chose ITBS as i've allways wanted a car on itbs and i love the clio so bingo.
I'm surprised, I thought ITBs would be cheaper than turbos for certain.