ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wasteland 2

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I never, ever thought I'd get to see the day that this might happen. :hail:

Those people in late 1988/early '89 fortunate enough to own a Commodore 64 with a 5.25" disk drive - may have stumbled across a game made by Interplay and published by a much smaller EA (back then). Wasteland was also released on PC - and to those that bought it - it represented a new standard in RPGs. Combining a near future, post WW3 America - it blended together the Mad-Max 'feel' set in the backdrop of the Nevada desert - with some very sinister goings on. In essence, it was the great-grandad to Fallout 3 - and as I've mentioned before - quite a few references to the original Wasteland can be seen in that Bethesda game.

I signed up to YahooGroups approximately eight or so years ago - and found a small, yet active community (read : nostalgic geeks - all in their early to mid 30s and older!) - who discussed the Wasteland game, it's impact and fond memories of playing it through. Some extremely talented members peeled back the layers and code of what the Interplay staff managed nearly two-and-a-half decades ago - and even then were amazed at what they achieved with such little hardware power. I for one remember nearly crippling my mock GCSEs due to this game alone. It was like nothing else before it - probably similar in impact to the way that sci-fi film buffs may have felt just after leaving their local cinema in 1977..... having just spent the last couple of hours watching Star Wars.

Nine months of trying out all character combinations and storylines saw me reach the end of what was simply an epic experience. To this day, the Wasteland 'event' still tops my own personal chart in over 31-years of playing computer games and despite the abortive follow ups - Meantime and the Fountain of Dreams - a true Wasteland successor was never released.

Fast forward then to 2012 and through the powers of Facebook - some fans set out to track the original Wasteland team down. Brian Fargo, Michael Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, Ken St. Andre, Liz Danforth (to name but a few) were badgered to sign up and answer questions not only about the original game - but that ever elusive (and often rumoured) follow up game.

Now between them, they have committed themselves to releasing Wasteland 2. Seriously, I am sat here at the keyboard grinning like a pillock at the mere thought of it! To get one or two of the original team together would be a feat in itself. But the fact that nearly all the head-honchos have joined in a quarter-of-a-century later, is as humbling as it is exciting. These guys want to see a sequel just as much as I do. And for that they have my respect and backing.

I'm actively going to help them with it - especially as it's principally a community-led project anyway. I've pledged $100 to the pot already and will happily give more if needs be. Money no object, I'd be pumping in the top bracket of $10,000!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

But I am realistic. Nostalgia is a great blurring device of the truth. What was epic in the past - should in many cases remain there. History is littered with 'oh dears' where there was no need for a follow up. No need to continue a story that had already reached a fitting and worthwhile conclusion. I am not expecting anything even approaching the production values of Skyrim - the budget and staffing levels simply are not there to attempt that. What I am expecting however, is a glimmer of that co-operative genius that made itself so evident in the first game. Something that makes me smile. A little bit of dialogue or speech that makes you think - and pulls you further into the story.

I'm normally a half-glass-full type of person. But my own personal wants/wishes and hopes for this game are so far off the chart, that I'm switching tact and going for the glass being half empty. If its average - then all well and good. If it great, then I'll be buzzing. You know what, even if it fails - at least they've tried. Can we realistically ask for anything more?

I simply cannot fecking wait.

Ranger D - (aged 14 again) ;)

2007 Ford Focus
Never played wasteland (played fallout 3 and new vegas), but Darren's write ups make me want to try it out!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
When I pledged my money yesterday, they had a total of circa $360k of the $900k budget they needed. Already, that total is now at $768k. Unless something DRASTIC happens - I think the funding is in the bag! :approve:

D.

Evo 5 RS
Was this Interplay? Why aren't they remaking Descent instead.

You know that geeza who got turned down by the studios wanting to make a Monkey Island remake has had 3 million dollars donated lol.

Edit: I never played Wasteland so I didn't bother reading, on phone ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Was this Interplay? Why aren't they remaking Descent instead.

You know that geeza who got turned down by the studios wanting to make a Monkey Island remake has had 3 million dollars donated lol.

Edit: I never played Wasteland so I didn't bother reading, on phone ;)

It was m8 - yes. But Brian Fargo left/got pushed from there and ended up setting up InXile. Descent was awesome - but that's had three versions of it released. Much in the same way with the Monkey Island, with several follow-ups. Wasteland never had a true successor - so it's a little more unique in that scenario.

They've cracked the £900k target already too. :)

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Music to my ears.....

We are closing in on the funding for 1.5 million which will allow us to add both a Mac and Linux version of Wasteland 2 to the release. One of the (more common) questions I am asked is whether we'll support console and I believe it to be unlikely. It is imperative that we deliver the core PC experience that the fans are expecting here and I want to avoid any elements that could distract us. The console interface is quite different when you consider the input device and proximity to the screen whereas the Mac and Linux are pretty much identical to that of the "PC". We will consider a tablet version due to the similarity of the screen and interface but even on that we need to do a bit more research.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, my $100 got PayPal'd off yesterday - and along with the 61,289 other backers - we managed to get over $2.9million together for the development of Wasteland 2. Not bad when the initial target was originally $900k!

At the earliest, release date is penned for October 2013 - but realistically I think it will be 2014 before it arrives.

D.

Listerine & Poledo
This is going to be baws.

Al because there's so much fighting over the Fallout franchise too.

1eight2
I never played the original but heard many references to it in Fallout related articles.

Sounds brilliant and 2.9 million is a fantastic ammount. I'll look forward to updates/release.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Sounds really good, I don't know the game or the people and have my reservations. But as said if they pull it off it could be a great game.

The original Wasteland was party-based and turn-based with a top-down POV that relied heavily on text-based story and drama achieved through deep connections and consequences between story and character.

For Wasteland 2, with the help of our Wasteland fans we decided to keep the focus on story and character, retaining the party-based and turn-based mechanics. The top down POV would remain as well but we would go with a full 3D render to bring it into the modern graphics era.

Top down turn based RPG? No thanks

Concept art made me look at this ages ago but I quickly realised it's not the type of game for me.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Top down turn based RPG? No thanks

Concept art made me look at this ages ago but I quickly realised it's not the type of game for me.

It was always going to be that way though - mainly to stay faithful to the original. The problem is that if they changed it to 1st or 3rd person perspective - that's a paradigm shift and would require a small army of devs and graphic designers to pull it of. They would probably enter into more legal wranglings with Bethesda about it looking too Fallout-esque as well.

My best hope is that they do a good enough job with Wasteland 2, in order to make a heavyweight revamp with Wasteland 3. That's in a perfect world, of course! :)

D.

It was always going to be that way though - mainly to stay faithful to the original. The problem is that if they changed it to 1st or 3rd person perspective - that's a paradigm shift and would require a small army of devs and graphic designers to pull it of. They would probably enter into more legal wranglings with Bethesda about it looking too Fallout-esque as well.

My best hope is that they do a good enough job with Wasteland 2, in order to make a heavyweight revamp with Wasteland 3. That's in a perfect world, of course! :)

D.

Fair enough - just saying that it excludes a large part of their potential audience, including me. I can put up with simplified graphics but turn based combat has always pissed me off.

Diablo 3 still did alright though and they barely did anything to move things on from Diablo 2 (from what i've read - never actually played either of the games and have no desire to).

Nissan 350z
Is using kickstarter to fund remakes all thats its cracked up to be though? I cant remember a single decent remake of an old title that has lived up to or surpassed its original. Look at Duke Nukem for example, take away the nostalgia and the s**t soon becomes apparent.

Deus Ex is the only one that springs to mind that was a good remake but then it was made with a serious AAA budget and it shows.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is using kickstarter to fund remakes all thats its cracked up to be though? I cant remember a single decent remake of an old title that has lived up to or surpassed its original. Look at Duke Nukem for example, take away the nostalgia and the s**t soon becomes apparent.

Deus Ex is the only one that springs to mind that was a good remake but then it was made with a serious AAA budget and it shows.

Only time will tell, I guess! :)

D.

Evo 5 RS
Just spotted this on my Monday morning catch up:
JroxW.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, well. After delay upon delay on starting this - through other games popping up, but mainly due to the constant big updates that this game received; I caved in last weekend.

Having been completely revamped on the new Unity 5 engine with the Director's Cut edition - along with the DLCs thrown in - it's a much nicer game experience compared to the few minutes I tried at the start. And what it has, is the same brilliant character setup of the first game. You genuinely take the time to care and develop the cluster of characters under your control. If you imagine the backdrop of Fallout 3. Remove all of the silly one-man-army'ness of it, drop it into a Diablo 3 game engine and then sprinkle several well known RPG elements into it - you're not a million miles away from the end result. The characters carry sensible and realistic amounts of gear. The characters have sensible and logical skills and abilities - making you choose a suite of attributes that all complement each other. So I have a brawling safe-cracker. A old & wise sniper with a high leadership score. A tech woman with computer science, engineering prowess and the team's resident SMG expert and a doc, who doubles as the heavy-weapons guy.

Chuck in loads of NPCs - of which I've recruited two already - and the randomness and 'unknown' comes into play. Even now, about 7 hours in and with most of the team up to Level 3 rank, I'm still debating whether or not I made the right choices of skills, back at the start. I'm woefully poor on secondary abilities like bartering, scouting and alarm disarm. But that in itself is part of the games' charm. I have to make do and improve on what I've got and cope with whatever situations arise.

This game has gotten under my skin, just in the way I had hoped. I've even put XCOM2 on ice because of it - and I thought that would never happen! I'm grabbing 20/30 minutes bursts of game-time on it as I've saved to a point where my safe-cracker is tackling a booby-trapped safe, with only 56% chance of success. Will it work? Who knows, but I've let her attempt that on her own and kept the rest of the team much further back.

It's taken a long while to get here - but my journey has finally begun with Wasteland 2. And so far, I'm loving every minute of it....