ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water in the boot

Just can't find where it's getting in. With the boot matt in place the water is pooling on the left rear of the matt. Can't see anything obvious neither can the garage. Could it be the left rear window seals maybe or maybe the arial?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Could be but the more common place is the plastic/rubber boot stops, there's one each side roughly level with the rear lights
Screenshot_2016-03-05-07-25-44.png

The little bung as can be seen in the photo by the light, try re sealing these first

Clio Sport 182
Yup as the others have mentioned, it is the boot stops. You can either buy new ones and replace them, or buy some clear silicone and apply around the boot stop and that will cure it too.

Clio Sport 182
I just pulled mine out an on them there is gunk from where they have previous been wet on the inside part so that is defo the cause of the issue.
The ones in the photo look rubber but mine are plastic or are they all plastic?

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Hey guys, found this same issue today, the boot gromits did look a bit "pathetic". Have taped them up and will wait for it to next rain. There's not that much water but time will tell.

Any idea where to buy replacements. Or is there a better "fix"

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Seal them up and then check the earth points for the rear lights which are directly under them on the inside. The water rounds down and they corrode leading to rear light problems.

You'll need to remove the plastic trim along the boot edge and peel back the carpet to see a black wire.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Seal them up and then check the earth points for the rear lights which are directly under them on the inside. The water rounds down and they corrode leading to rear light problems.

You'll need to remove the plastic trim along the boot edge and peel back the carpet to see a black wire.

You know when something happens then all the puzzle pieces are nearly complete.... Well I've been having a few lighting problems recently with the rear clusters. It all makes sense!

Thank you!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You know when something happens then all the puzzle pieces are nearly complete.... Well I've been having a few lighting problems recently with the rear clusters. It all makes sense!

Thank you!

Does your yellow fog light symbol flicker on briefly on the dash when you brake too?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yup!
How easy is it to fix?

Once you find the earth, which is easy.

Unbolt it (10mm) and clean up the terminal and bolt with a wire brush and WD40, then bolt back in.

Also remove the rear lights and check the connection, it's worth a clean and WD40 on them too as just doing the earth sometimes doesn't cure it.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Once you find the earth, which is easy.

Unbolt it (10mm) and clean up the terminal and bolt with a wire brush and WD40, then bolt back in.

Also remove the rear lights and check the connection, it's worth a clean and WD40 on them too as just doing the earth sometimes doesn't cure it.
Cool! Cheers for that doing a few other jobs tomorrow so hopefully will get this one sorted too!

Spot on advice, thanks again!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hijack but...If it's not the bungs what else can it be? I've sealed mine fully and still get the issue.
Have you checked to make sure that your arches are all intact? No holes/ splits. Mine has a small one but no water gets in.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you checked to make sure that your arches are all intact? No holes/ splits. Mine has a small one but no water gets in.

I'm highly doubting it's my arches chap as the waters flowing from what seems to be the rear light cluster on the right...how ever I'll be striping the back end out over the next few days and having a good look.

*Edit*
It's also only really happening when it's parked up on the drive for a few days and raining.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I can see water getting in on the passenger side when I wash the car. Looks to be getting in around the seam next to the rear light... anyone else have this issue?