ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wax

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I'm detailing my mates RED car today. Iv just got to waxing it and havnt got my dodo juice orange crush with me. Would it be stupid using blue velvet on it? If so why? Cheers cerrone

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Thought it would be tbf but didn't want to risk it after all the hard work which had gone into it!
Cheers lads

Not quite true. The Dodo Factory has proved that by using several layers (3-6) you can very subtly change the shading of your car colour by using their waxes. They had a big thread about it on detailing world.

Got a link to that?

Interested as well, seen a few post where they've said the colour charging does little to nothing at all. I purchased banana armour on the basis of how easy it was to apply rather than it's colour.

Edit:

Thanks for the link. Never seen that. Very subtle effect that I think may be enhanced further by the residue collecting around the tape highlighting the build up.

For me, this still sums it up quite nicely.

5. You can still use any colourwax on any colour car. A white car will not turn deep blue with a layer or two of Blue Velvet on it. But if you want your white car to stay purest white, don't put four coats of Orange Crush on it.

Last edited:
  Clio RS200 FF
You lads were quick off the mark, was just searching for that. Anyway the link is now in the post above.

I really like the £6 dodo panel pots. Nice cheap way to try a variety, and I reckon I have layered 3 lots of banana armour on my VX and it's barely used 1/4 of the pot.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Once you've tried a soft or a hard wax, you've typically tried or there soft or hard waxes. I didnt personally notice too much difference between them. All give great initial glow and tight beading but didn't last all that long.

That all said I'd reach for orange crush before vics concours

Interestingly I agree (bar SN) but disagree on the last comment! Loved Vics on my panzer (red). Why, out of interest Dave? Longevity?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
did like the vics red (preferred collectors yellow for its better flak pop) but the finish and water behaviour just didn't last long enough for my liking, whereas OC lasted that little bit longer, and now that the prices of the basic range has come down a little on i4d it's a lot more comparable. I felt OC gave a similar warming / darkening glow that HD cleanse and glasur gave on darker blues, greys and blacks.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Vics is a summer wax definitely. On Red it's stunning. I shall actually be combining Red Mouse and Vics this weekend on a Red V6 TT.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have majority of the DJ stuff and never notice a difference tbh, the longevity of it is rubbish but it's so easy to apply it doesn't bother me. Like natty's blue, very easy product to use.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Vics is a summer wax definitely. On Red it's stunning. I shall actually be combining Red Mouse and Vics this weekend on a Red V6 TT.

But how long would you typically expect vics to resist the contaminants? I found 6weeks before it was past it. On my own car I could cope with regular top ups, but I wouldn't ever bother putting the effort in for someone else's car for that length of time

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
None at all mate. If it had to last longer than 2/3 weeks I wouldn't even bother. It's just for some pics and a meet he's going to. He uses AG HD. That'll be nice for winter.