ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wearable fitness technology

TTRS & V50
Just had my attention drawn to FitBit's, what do people use.

My problem, I run a couple miles a week and currently carrying my iPhone with Nike + app, which is great.

The problem would be solved with the Apple iWatch although refuse to spend over 300+ just to track running, I am not serious nor will I ever be serious about fitness.

A quick Google search and it looks as if the Nike Fuelband is no more. Ideally I'd like one that syncs with my current Nike+ running app, but not sure what does.

What do people have ?

Remember, i'm not running marathons, nor do I run in lycra.

Cayman S Edition 1
My wife and I have the Fitbit HR which is ok. Mine seems to struggle to monitor my heart rate when I first start exercising, but it kinda keeps up in the end. The other features are brilliant tho (sleep tracker, steps and it vibrates when my phone rings).

It's a good bit of kit overall:)

TTRS & V50
@Jay_A , Charge HR ? Does it track cycling ? I guess you sync it with it's own native app rather than a 3rd party, how's the app ?

I guess I'll probably bin Nike+ and just move app. Would be nice to keep my history which I suppose I could manually migrate.

Cayman S Edition 1
Doubt it will track cycling but will monitor your heart rate throughout the exercise. You hold the button to start / stop exercise sessions on it which it then stores seperately (quite clever really).

The app is faultless tbh and syncs via Bluetooth on to our iPhones.

TTRS & V50
@Jay_A , Cool, been looking through the website and it looks as if Charge HR is the one for me.

Does it say the miles while you are running ? Couldn't see a photo of it doing this, only time it looked like. I know it tracks distance, but does it show it on the watch while running, I'm sure it would do.

Cayman S Edition 1
@Jay_A , Cool, been looking through the website and it looks as if Charge HR is the one for me.

Does it say the miles while you are running ? Couldn't see a photo of it doing this, only time it looked like. I know it tracks distance, but does it show it on the watch while running, I'm sure it would do.
It tracks steps which it converts to distance. If I remember tomorrow, I'll post some screenshots of the app.

TTRS & V50
Just read that only the Surge has GPS and the rest are just expensive pedometers which is a shame. I think I'm after a GPS one, but definitely not paying for the top of range one. Would have thought all would be GPS'd.

GPS Tracking
See distance, pace and elevation climbed & review routes and split times

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
So, you're not serious about fitness, have a method currently that works for you and your happy with, but you want to change to wearable tech? But you don't want to spend the money most decent pieces of wearable fitness tech cost...

Even the cheapest GPS running watches start at about £100, and they come with very basic features, basically just a timer, and the GPS connection can be a bit hit and miss.

TTRS & V50
@Jack! ,

My problem, I run a couple miles a week and currently carrying my iPhone with Nike + app, which is great.​

The above is my problem, only the App is great, not the process.

For the sake of tracking mileage and seeing a map, I don't think I'm asking too much. And I certainly don't think spending £200 on a watch to do this is what needs to happen. I want an alternative to carrying my phone, other than a holder.

Cheapest GPS at £100 sounds great, that's the point of the thread, suggestions ?

Learning what I want as I go through the thread journey.

TTRS & V50
Oh, just realised that even the iWatch doesn't come with GPS. You have to run with your phone in your pocket.

Maybe I'll just leave this wearable technology out for a while until GPS costs come down.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Oh ok, if it's GPS watch you want then fine, just thought you were looking for some jack of all trades type device because you mentioned the Apple Watch. I use a Garmin Forerunner 110, I see you can get them on Amazon now for £90, it's better than the FR10 because you can do splits, and it gives you your average speed per km/mile. GPS can be a bit hard to find initially, takes a few minutes, but once found it's solid.

I could never handle having a phone strapped to my arm while running, I always wanted the least amount of bulk possible.

TTRS & V50
@Jack! , Yeah I didn't realise the Apple iWatch didn't have GPS, I thought it was a given, shame. I guess it will be in the next version.

Will look into those.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I have Microsoft Band. Has GPS and syncs with your phone when you get back. Also has heart rate sensor, UV sensor and sleep tracking. Works with running, cycling and has guided workouts. Also connects with all apps on your phone for notifications if that's a bonus you're after. Very impressed with the thing.

Oh and as for apps, it's compatible with RunKeeper, MyFitnessPal, MapMyFitness, HealthVault, Nuffield Health, Strava & MapMyRide :smile:

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'm tempted to get a fitbit charge HR, the microsoft band was a contender with it's myfitnesspal compatability, but you are supposed to wear the face of the band on the underside of your wrist and I'd feed like one of those simpletons who wears a watch upside down.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
You don't have to wear it on the inside... before I purchased I was 100% preparing to wear it on the outside. Half hour after getting it, it was on the inside. Really don't notice it any more.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm not actually sure mate, I stopped using MFP a while back. Is there anything specific you'd like me to test out for you?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I run with a Polar RC3 which has pretty much everything you'll need in the box. If you want to add cycling sensors then you can buy these to (IF you want them).

If calorie-driven goals are your thing, the Polar RC3 is for you
It's all about heart rate on the Polar RC3, but there's plenty more on board this svelte 58g watch to challenge the rest. Calorie-driven goals are possible, but the all-important pace and distance also get a look-in on this GPS
icon1.png
sports watch.

Sat nav innards produce speed, distance and route - as well as your expected finishing time - while basic navigation
icon1.png
is also included. Get completely lost in the woods and a 'back to start' feature will help you re-trace your steps. Smart Coaching features include a Zone Optimiser mode that adjusts your heart rate zones for every training session, cleverly using your monitored physiological condition so as to accurately stretch you.

At any time you can perform a five-minute Fitness Test to help fuel this feature, or if you're curious about your current condition. All data is uploaded to polarpersonaltrainer.com for analysis.

It is everything you need and it tells the time!!! Unfortunately it retails at £249 which is probably more than you want to spend but it can be had for cheaper. A quick google has it at £179 on Amazon but I got mine via hotdeals/Halfords for £99 last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FF8LM8Q/?tag=cliospnet01-21