ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

weight challenge !!

right , anyone like to have an educated guess at the lightest weight you can make a valver ??

Im after a challenge , mine will be the lightest around , but would like to know what people think the weight could realistically come down to ...........

depends on if your replacing things with lighter things? or just pulling bits that arnt needed off?

have a look in the phone book for a public weighbridge and go see

BMW 320d Sport

If youre just pulling stuff off so youve got a totally stripped interior with only the basics, then you could probably get it down to 850kg without a full tank of fuel. If you wanted to go one better you could think about replacing everything with carbon fibre, using perspex instead of glass in the windows etc. In practice most people would be lucky to strip a valver down to 900kg. Ill take mine to a weighbridge soon and see what it comes out at, probably in the low 900s.

I would say around 790ish with work.

No under seal

No door innerds

No dash

Polycarb windows

F/Glass bonnet boot and doors

Remove every unwanted bracket

One seat and belts

Magnesium 15" alloys

No heater, just a heated front screen

Bare minimum wiring

Plate the sunroof (if fitted)

Cut every bolt down so only a couple of threads show through.

Its time that is the killer when lightening the car.

Id be interested to see what mine is down to.....before i go and put all the ali sheeting in there......oh any joy on those handles david?

Carbon fibre bucket seat, bumpers, bonnet, doors, no door cards, perspex windows remove all the electrics ie window motors, central locking, remove dash, go for a smal electric instrument panel, completely remove heater matrix, blower unit, rear wiper and motor etc etc

Depends if you wanna keep it road legal......if not scrap the bumpers, lights etc etc etc

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by derv on 20 February 2005

think adams yellow one weighed about 880kg IIRC
Yup, and I reckon that with work this could be taken down to 800 kgs and still keep it street legal (not very comfortable for a day to day motor though!)any lower than that and I think it would be good only for the track/quarter.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

people who dont know, david owns a carbon fibre company, so he probably will not be spending very much and i would probably think it will be the lightest valver, look forward to the results

big red bus

U can get a really lightweight bucket seseat from demon tweeks, but it doesnt look too comfortable.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

my mates was 840kg. carbon bonnet, bits cut out inside, perspex windows from ex cup racer, manual windows, no sunroof etc.

Street Triple R

I remember a guy from the lancer register (when i had my evo) was really obsessed with weight, even got bits of the body of his evo dipped in acid i believe to really cut the wieght down...cant remember the name of that process though

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 22 February 2005

I remember a guy from the lancer register (when i had my evo) was really obsessed with weight, even got bits of the body of his evo dipped in acid i believe to really cut the wieght down...cant remember the name of that process though

Acid etching. Bit to extreme particularrly as your possible weekening the structure and the gains would be minimal.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Cut the back of the car off from the back of the drivers door.

Replace the back with some tubing.

Clio pickup.

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 23 February 2005

Christ, what utter loons in that link.

Yep....lol... managed to make it 500kgs (1100 lbs) lighter though...PMSL...;) shaved 3 seconds of the 0-60 time....lol

Simon.

BMW 320d Sport

Quote: Originally posted by stu8v on 20 February 2005

I would say around 790ish with work.

No under seal

No door innerds

No dash

Polycarb windows

F/Glass bonnet boot and doors

Remove every unwanted bracket

One seat and belts

Magnesium 15" alloys

No heater, just a heated front screen

Bare minimum wiring

Plate the sunroof (if fitted)

Cut every bolt down so only a couple of threads show through.

Its time that is the killer when lightening the car.
LOL why not just get a bike instead!

BMW 320d Sport

What about welding together an A frame with a big castor on the back, and then getting rid of the whole car rear of the front seat. Then just roll along with the front wheels doing all the pulling?