ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight of 172 for trailer

Shogun clio 172 ph2
Hi. What does my 172 ph2 weigh..for putting on trailer? As i know cant be more than the weight thats on trailer plate...thanks

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
1300kg gross trailer normally have carrying capacity of around 900-980kg depending on whether its a single or twin axle
so no it won't

Shogun clio 172 ph2
Oh?! I thought the 1300kg weight thats on the plate was total car weight it could take. Does it say on plate the carrying weight? Whats the diff of the 1300 plate weight and carrying weight u mention? Take it im better with twin axle too....Thanks!

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
1300kg GW (gross weight) is the total maximum weight of the trailer and load placed on it, The lightest 1300kg trailers (single axle) weigh around 280kg empty so have a capacity of 1020kg (just enough for a stripped out 172 cup), twin axles tow better and look for a 1500-1600kg GW (1100-1200 capacity) to give yourself a bit of leeway so you can chuck some spares and tools in the car too.

You're profile says you have a 172 cup, is that right? Or is it just a normal 172. Not that it matters, but the 172 cup is lighter and will give you a tiny bit more scope if you are tight with a trailer.

But as said, if you're looking to buy a trailer you'd be better off getting a twin axle one. They should all be able to carry any Clio without any problems at all.

For example. My trailer is 1700kg GW. The trailer unladen weighs 400kg, which allows me to tow a 1300kg car. You then need to make sure your tow car can pull the max GW (1700kg in this example).

172 Turbo
I'm so stupid, I now want a trailer but when I specced our new car which can tow 2T, I didn't have the tow bar prep done :(

Shogun clio 172 ph2
You're profile says you have a 172 cup, is that right? Or is it just a normal 172. Not that it matters, but the 172 cup is lighter and will give you a tiny bit more scope if you are tight with a trailer.

But as said, if you're looking to buy a trailer you'd be better off getting a twin axle one. They should all be able to carry any Clio without any problems at all.

For example. My trailer is 1700kg GW. The trailer unladen weighs 400kg, which allows me to tow a 1300kg car. You then need to make sure your tow car can pull the max GW (1700kg in this example).
Yeh a 172 ph2...dont know why says cup either and hadnt noticed lol...trailer looking at is a twin axle which i prefer but it only 1300kg...

Yeh a 172 ph2...dont know why says cup either and hadnt noticed lol...trailer looking at is a twin axle which i prefer but it only 1300kg...

Is that the max gross weight, or the load weight?

If it's max gross weight, then deduct the weight of the actual trailer, say 300kg, then you're only left with 1000kg. That doesn't give you much scope legally if you were to get stopped. It's do able though, you can get a stripped out Clio to below that weight. But you'd have to be sure.

Shogun clio 172 ph2
Then you ideally want some light weight 15 inch wheels. Cheaper tyres that way too.

In fact I think @Kelv has a lovely brand new set of Team Dynamic 1.2s with track rubber for sale at a good price
Ooooh!....cant work out how to pm him if he can msg me please...thanks

Shogun clio 172 ph2
Tow weight 750kg? You'll struggle to get a Clio down to that!

Are you sure that's not the hitch lock numbers? Sounds too low to be a twin axle trailer.
Ano its not making sense lol. Think this plate maybe to do with hitch only and maybe another plate on the trailer so asked him to check. Said car that was on it was 980kg...