ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

weight of a 182 alloy....

Renault Clio 172
as above does anyone know the weight of a 182 alloy wheel as opposed to a 172 standard 5 spoke alloy, are they the same weight or is one heavier than the other?

any help would be apreciated cheers :)

a thirsty one
i have a 182 alloy with tyre in the shed, i will weigh it for you tomorrow if you want.

cant help with the 172 weight though, the 182 alloy does feel quite heavy when i am taking them on/off the car

b/g 182, meg tourer
they are heavy.
a lot heavier than my ultraleggeras anyway, noticed a huge difference to how the car drives and how easy it is to lift the wheels on and off the car!

RS 182
they are heavy.
a lot heavier than my ultraleggeras anyway, noticed a huge difference to how the car drives and how easy it is to lift the wheels on and off the car!
Doesn't the weight of the standard alloys contribute to the handling quality of the car?
I can't imagine they'd go to the lengths of designing signature alloys on a performance hatch if the weight of 'em was just a pure disadvantage.

RS 182
Maybe the smaller wheels making the car 1 inch lower also plays a role.

After all, people go on about the 3mm lowering from the suspension pack making a difference & 1 inch = about 24mm

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
arnt the 182 around 16kg or something like that remember when i fitte the turinis there was a big difference

b/g 182, meg tourer
Doesn't the weight of the standard alloys contribute to the handling quality of the car?
I can't imagine they'd go to the lengths of designing signature alloys on a performance hatch if the weight of 'em was just a pure disadvantage.

no idea. i dont design these things.
i just dont get brake fade anymore, sharper acceleration, better braking and snappier handling.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Maybe the smaller wheels making the car 1 inch lower also plays a role.

After all, people go on about the 3mm lowering from the suspension pack making a difference & 1 inch = about 24mm
They have a higher profile tyre on so you don't get a 1 inch lowering effect. The cup packs do more than just lower, they also have a wider track and longer wheel base.

b/g 182, meg tourer
my ultraleggeras (16") are 5.9kg each without a tyre.
put that up against 16kg as said above (if its correct) and tell me there is no difference! lol

put that up against 16kg as said above (if its correct) and tell me there is no difference! lol

16kg would be about right for a wheel and tyre.

Just weighed a bare 182 alloy and it's aboout 8kg. That's still 2kg/wheel difference though which is a fair amount of unsprung weight.

b/g 182, meg tourer
if a standard 182 wheel is 8kg its lighter than a turini, that cant be right!
turini is 8.4kg.

yep, unsprung weight does make a nice difference.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thats bloody light, over 1kg lighter than pro race 1.2's

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
From what I can find, standard 182 wheel weight is 9.7kg without tyres, about 17.7kg with tyre.

b/g 182, meg tourer
From what I can find, standard 182 wheel weight is 9.7kg without tyres, about 17.7kg with tyre.

that sounds more like it tbh.
turinis MUST be lighter than 182 alloys. less material to them

so you can see how it was a big difference going from 9.7kg wheels to 5.9kg wheels. it really was noticable.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
that sounds more like it tbh.
turinis MUST be lighter than 182 alloys. less material to them

so you can see how it was a big difference going from 9.7kg wheels to 5.9kg wheels. it really was noticable.
Depending on who you listen to, that's equivalent to a body weight saving of 50-100kg. Impressive.

Renault Clio 172
blimey alot of weight difference then, see i was thinking of going down the 182 wheel route on my 172, but dont want to end up having heavier wheels on there than what ive already got a.k.a the standard 172 5 spoke's, hmmm decisions decisions, not sure on the turini's because lots of people have them. Admitidly they are nice, still keep leaning to the 182 wheels tho hmmmm..... lol

a thirsty one
i wouldnt worry to much, unsprung weight does make a diff but its not like night and day. just depends how much you like the 182 wheel and what kind of price you can get a set from. i would like a set of lightweight 16 inch alloys and the 182 design is rubbish at allowing the brakes to cool they dont let much air in/out.

i just wieghed one of mine for you and it was 17.6 kg thats with a tyre. i actually prefer the handling of my car on 15s to the 16s but 15s look too small imo on the 182

Renault Clio 172
cheers for weighing it mate:), didnt actually take into consideration the whole brake cooling thing, surely renault wouldnt design wheels that would affect things like that :S.

ive heard alot of good things about 15" wheels but yeh i think the same they look just a smidge to small. mite start thinking about the prospect of getting some turini's in gloss black :) with the weight and cooling thing in mind, actually no lol argueing with myself here lol i decided i wasnt going to go down that route, i like the look of chunkier wheels and i know i will sound lazy lol but the cleaning factor too:eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't forget how much cheaper tyres are on 15's. I got a set of 4 T1-r's, 205 width, fitted for under £150.

a thirsty one
its not a problem with the 182 design 99% of the time, but std brakes on a spirited run will overheat and fade quite quick. i dont think they are much worse than many other oe spec allot design but they could be better.

black turinis would be nice and different from the usual amphasite

Renault Clio 172
im now searching alot of threads trying to find different pics and such to have a gud butchers at what everyone else is runing so i can try and make up my mind lol

b/g 182, meg tourer
i got my ultraleggeras for £400 with tyres 2nd hand. was a bargain.
sold my 182 wheels for about £250. so i only had to put £150 towards them :)

if i was looking to get some new wheels again, i would go for 15" pro race 1.2's lightweight and cheap tyres.

ZSCLIO

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
i got my ultraleggeras for £400 with tyres 2nd hand. was a bargain.
sold my 182 wheels for about £250. so i only had to put £150 towards them :smile:

if i was looking to get some new wheels again, i would go for 15" pro race 1.2's lightweight and cheap tyres.

Are the 15" ultralegerras a straight fit to 182 cup? Also what offset are they?