ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

weight reduction

R35 GTR
d.brown said:
no i did think that when i passed you like you were standing still lmfao ... just kiddin' ;)

hehe, was fun. Was cool watching your ass round that island, nicely controlled.

CTR--VX220D
My 172 will get stripped down as soon as I get it.

Something I was very surprised at was the weight of the suspension. Just had my coilovers and they weighed a ton compared to my VX220 suspension.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Time to distance has a fourth power relationship with power to weight. So Ahmet's 62 kg weight reduction would cut just over 0.2 seconds off his quarter mile time.

d.brown said:
b****cks.

if thats the case... (going that 1ltr = 1kg)... a full tank of petrol would give you the equivalent return of about 10 bhp less than running on nearly empty. And thats not the case

182 weighs 1080kg ish and has 180bhp so power to weight approx 180/1.08 167bhp/ton.

Lose 60kg - 180/1.02 = 176bhp/ton

So how much power do you need on a standard weight car to achieve this bhp/ton figure?

176bhp/ton * 1.08ton = 190bhp.

+10bhp

R35 GTR
MarkM said:
182 weighs 1080kg ish and has 180bhp so power to weight approx 180/1.08 167bhp/ton.

Lose 60kg - 180/1.02 = 176bhp/ton

So how much power do you need on a standard weight car to achieve this bhp/ton figure?

176bhp/ton * 1.08ton = 190bhp.

+10bhp

yep, i worked this out this way. Think it was you that gave me inspiration to open up excel and do a table.

throttle bodied mk2 172
d.brown said:
does it feel any different for it? honestly? I know it'd sound a lot different, look alot different... but driving it? Not a critisism... just a question.

I always thought about going mad and taking everything out lol, but thought twice about it when i have to take my mum to the shops hahaha
cant you notice when you drive with fat ass and by yourself!!!

throttle bodied mk2 172
GordonD said:
Time to distance has a fourth power relationship with power to weight. So Ahmet's 62 kg weight reduction would cut just over 0.2 seconds off his quarter mile time.
0.2 makes you win the drag race buddy.half car differecnce maybe

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
ahmet said:
0.2 makes you win the drag race buddy.half car differecnce maybe

0.2 seconds at the end of a quarter mile is considerably more than half a car length. You cross the finish line doing about 150 km/h, which is about 40 metres/second, so its about 8 metres. That's two Clio lengths.

80MPG BEEZA
this weight reduction sounds good, so how does the cup lose all its weight? as i've converted mine to 172 and i have no a/c no air bags bucket seats and the back stripped out, total saving?

would it be good to have it light aswell as more bhp? say take it upto 200bhp and have it stripped out?

M2 Competition
Yep. Look at the yozzasport 1.2 mate, thats rapid, with lots of power and nothing in it. Seems to make it more flickable round the track too.

R35 GTR
i stripped out my rear seats, spare wheel, tools,sub,amp, mdf board and had a vacuum and the rear end is definitely easier to lose now. Plus it feels quicker and fuel consumption is sticking to 30mpg when i boot it for a few miles, it usually goes down to 27/28 at the end of every little jaunt.

I cant see any cons to this to be honest. No rear passengers too, plus if I need to transport a load of s**t around, i have a very comfy and quick van.:clown:

172 GTR
My full fat 172 is totally standard but stripped out. Door cards front and rear, back seats, spare wheel+jack and everything except the dashboard basically. A guy I know from here (I’m not sure of his forum name) has a totally standard 182. Mine is soooo much quicker. Its like someone said on the last page 20+ BHP difference is probably true!

80MPG BEEZA
this is cool i'm just looking to not spend loads on tuning at the mo so was gonna go for 182 manifold and decat, group n ecu and then strip it out and get a short shifter (which is also lighter!) and then go for suspension/brake.tyre upgrades

M2 Competition
Id do the brake, suspension upgrades first mate. These will make biggest difference to the speed. Leave the 182 manifold til last, as its so much money for a little increase.

M2 Competition
Dave3141 said:
braking with less weight, is fooking good fun.

Trax_141.jpg

Aye, rear end in the air ;) lol

Tangoed Works
Have to say since chucking in my new recliners, the car feels a lot more responsive, you feel the 5k kick even harder and the fuel economy is up a mpg or two when driving hard. Cant lose really.