ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight saving on a 182

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Not sure how far to go really!, all my non car educated mates thought i was nuts taking out the leather/alcantara rear seats.....i didnt think twice tho as im selfish and hate giving people lifts haha, only kidding... feel kinda bad actually but hey i want my car to be light!

At the moment ive only taken out the seats, left the boot carpet in and rear cards etc. What else do u guys think i should take out? Still got the seatbelts, they are plugged in which looks cool and stops them rattling around but think i might take all three of them out...is this a tricky job?

Not sure whether to take out the rear speakers....i like listening to music in the car but i suspect the rears are mostly drowned by the exhaust anyways?

Advice then guys? please :D

the seat belts wiegh quite alot, you can take out everything not needed.. its realy down to you waht you take out..

Better to loose as much fuel as possible, no bits and bobs in the car.

Then if you are lucky; you have a good engine. There are so many variations its mind boggling. Any 172/182 can be within 20PS. (this includes any make of car,) + or -10% engine power is well within manufacturing tolerances.

Best strip off any excess flab;) and hope for the best

Mark

id take the front seats out and replace with decent adjustable bucket seats (with leather !) that should save a lot as you will be taking out two airbags + detonators and the standard heavy seats dont know how much though. If i were to lightne my 172 the furthest id go is to remove my spare wheel (not much use for you lol) but mainly my rear seats. then you get to keep the comfort and safety + still getting rid of three seats.

also dont listen to anyone who say its pointless, if you want to do it then do it, ive found its the best way to get a performance increase. i remember my bros mondy having only front seats and it absolutley flew also felt much more nimbler.

i dont think the rear seats are too hard to take and put in on a regular basis.

how much do the rear seats weigh ?????

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Yeah reakon the belts may as well come out then, Midge....bit worried ill get carried away lol....might look a bit rubbish if i start removing the trim in the rear?!

I got my 182 in the summer so didnt know the cup was going to be available not that id of bought it mind.

Blaze (mark) i never have any bits and bobs in the car mate so thats sorted, never usually fill the tank up unless im going on a long journey either.

"Any 172/182 can be within 20PS. (this includes any make of car,) + or -10% engine power is well within manufacturing tolerances." <Never knew that!! Reakon mines a fast one tho haha.

Mitchy im not that hardcore lol....on second thoughts how hard is it to remove then replace :p

cliotuRS, good plan on the front seats... need a bit of cash to replace them tho- want some nice light CF jobbies. Rear seats were easy to remove...will way them when im back at uni.

So far (dont laugh)...Tool kit weighs 3.5kg, fog light (removed for CAF)- 0.3KG, Air box- 1.4kg ....saved a kg here as the viper weighs 0.4kg :D

Motordrive do good seats i have them in my rally car 5kg each.

With all these parts being removed you will have to tell your insurance Co. though.

almaghrbi

ClioSport Trader
  172 Cup

Remove the water from the wipers container, each one liter weighs a one KG ;)

We do it all the time at racing

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

almaghrbi, do u race your cup then mate? Whats the capacity of the washer bottle?

Stu, you got a weblink for those seats mate? cheers

almaghrbi

ClioSport Trader
  172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Gary G on 28 December 2004

almaghrbi, do u race your cup then mate? Whats the capacity of the washer bottle?

Stu, you got a weblink for those seats mate? cheers
I do sprints, racing against the clock.

I cant remember but I think it was around 3 liters. Replacing the Front seats with racing ones reduces alot of weight. I think each is about 25-30Kg while a racing seat is 7Kg. Changing the battery to a racing one will save 3-4Kg. You can also save weight throught other means by spending lots of money but at that point I think it becomes silly as you spend a lot to get tiny weight saving.

Another important weight reduction that we all forget about and hate is the driver, it is the cheapest but the most unpleasent way (to us).

Gary,

Didnt mean to upset you just a realistic view on cars. I wont give the reasons for my accuaracy, as there are some very good factual pieces of information available.

How about abilitly rather than, mines a fast one: How do you know!!!!!!

I am not willing to go down that route.

Im more than happy to explain so many reasons, yet, there are far too many youngsters with all the know how and yet all the write offs .

I have not been a member here for some time for a very good reason. I am not and will be not that person. I WILL SAY ONE THING "ABILITY IS ALL"

Mark

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 28 December 2004

Gary,

Didnt mean to upset you just a realistic view on cars. I wont give the reasons for my accuaracy, as there are some very good factual pieces of information available.

No worries mate you didnt upset me at all, i was simply shocked as i didnt know that an engines output could vary so much...found it interesting!

How about abilitly rather than, mines a fast one: How do you know!!!!!!

I am very keen to improve me driving technique, the mines a fast one comment was me just joking! :p

I am not willing to go down that route.

Im more than happy to explain so many reasons, yet, there are far too many youngsters with all the know how and yet all the write offs .

I do happen to be young and i have written off a car (1.2 8v corsa..45bhp!!). I dont claim to know alot about cars but do enjoy learning and hearing other peoples ideas and opinions

I have not been a member here for some time for a very good reason. I am not and will be not that person. I WILL SAY ONE THING "ABILITY IS ALL"

With regards to ability, any idea where i can improve my driving? Doing a trackday in the new year so am looking forward to that!

Mark

...Stu, cheers for the link. Are the seats comfortable enough for longish journeys?

almaghrbi, you mentioned race battery any info on these? cheers

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

tbh you are better off learning how to drive well on a track before worrying so much about a kg here and kg there.

Any one know what the cup seats weigh?

Gary

Do not mean to be condescending in any way. Track driving is great fun, but will not make a better road driver. Simply because it is a different skill. Anyone who says learn to drive on a road by doing track is deluded. Think about hazzards and just differing road surfaces. Junctions, crossings, cars in the other direction. Where does it end.

Think further, huge differences

Can give adive as to where to learn road skills,

Mark

almaghrbi

ClioSport Trader
  172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 28 December 2004

buy some OZ wheels, they weigh fack all
Yes reducing un-sprung weight is more important than any other weight = better handling/grip and acceleration

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Yeah will prob change the wheels for some nice light ones to reduce the rotating weight (inertia)...how about the brakes, they are unsprung but is there a saving to be made by up grading them to aftermarket items?

Quote: Originally posted by littleone on 28 December 2004

diet first may lose few kg:D

[Edited by littleone on 28 December 2004 at 7:12pm]

Ive just spent 6 months losing 16kg in weight (16st2 down to a slightly-less-of-a-fat-b*stard 13st7), and I can honestly say that it hasnt made any difference whatsoever to how fast my Cup accelerates. However, on the upside, my trousers keep falling down now :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 28 December 2004

Then if you are lucky; you have a good engine. There are so many variations its mind boggling. Any 172/182 can be within 20PS. (this includes any make of car,) + or -10% engine power is well within manufacturing tolerances.
EU tolerances mean the rated power has to be within 5% of the claimed power output.

Id be quite worried if the engine made 10% less than its claimed.

almaghrbi

ClioSport Trader
  172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Gary Brown on 28 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by littleone on 28 December 2004

diet first may lose few kg:D

[Edited by littleone on 28 December 2004 at 7:12pm]

Ive just spent 6 months losing 16kg in weight (16st2 down to a slightly-less-of-a-fat-b*stard 13st7), and I can honestly say that it hasnt made any difference whatsoever to how fast my Cup accelerates. However, on the upside, my trousers keep falling down now :oops:
The differences we are talking about here are very minimal maybe 0.1 of sec on 1 mile distance. I dont think on the road it is much of a big deal but on a race it is the difference between 1st and 2nd. So you need to ask yourself what are you after and is it worth spending that amount of money

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Ha ha sorry mate, will let u know asap :)Not sure how im going to weigh them tho-tad big....used me mums kitchen scales for most stuff :p

Ziel Nurburgring

Get rid of the sound deadening in the cabin, drop the std seats for buckets and lightweight alloys. Id leave the AC as it will be arse to remove and refit, get rid of all the rear cards and replace the belts with harnesss.

Shhh

You can strip it in whole. Remove all interior, boot liner etc. Carpet, door panels, cut the dash out even.

How about some 12" wheels which weight less.?

nah just take back seats out for improvement.. maybe buckets up to oyu. then concentrate on cams remap etc..

dammit man wheres that backseat weight info !! :p

yeah would like to know ^^

how heavy are the fronts seats with a/b? whats the weight save from changing to bucket seats?

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

IsvenII, think the standard front seats weigh around 25kg where as buckets are around 5-10kg i think.

Will get back seat info next wednesday! lol

AliasOmega, not that crazy mate!...might do the rear cards, not sure yet.

...Which harnesses are best to go for?