ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight saving!

172 5HED
bits.jpg

Too dark to get pics of what went in its place [:(]

172 5HED
Bloody hell............................. whats the power your expecting??

Not a clue mate, Currenly de catted with a full Miltek so that and filter and cams???! I would wanna see 215 atleast, who knows lol!!

After that its matched inlets then I'll strip it maybe and see where Im at!

RS RIP
Is the red top strong enough for a daily driver ?

I remember people having problems. This battery when used for race cars only have to power up for start and lights eventually, but yours uses radio, aircon (? Cup?) ..
I think Edde can ellaborate..

Seems a good weightsaver though ! :) you're one of the first on here to start engine- tuning the 197 i think too

172 5HED
Is the red top strong enough for a daily driver ?

I remember people having problems. This battery when used for race cars only have to power up for start and lights eventually, but yours uses radio, aircon (? Cup?) ..
I think Edde can ellaborate..

Seems a good weightsaver though ! :) you're one of the first on here to start engine- tuning the 197 i think too

Hi Franx, I presume its ok, as once started the alternator will keep the charge up wont it?! Only thing it runs is the little alarm LED when "off" so Im presuming its ok??

172 5HED
All done, positve terminal needs a plate fabricating when I have time!!

Old airbox out to take battery tray out...

bat2.jpg

Leaves you room for at least 5 immigrants

bat3.jpg

White Sti Hatch
Very nice mate, im tempted with the smaller batter as i want to reocate my BMC cad from being rammed up against the ECU !!

172 5HED
Very nice mate, im tempted with the smaller batter as i want to reocate my BMC cad from being rammed up against the ECU !!

Do it mate!!!

I was worried after the comment on the other page about it not holding charge so asked a mate of mine that runs a race team. Response was....

"Redtop will hold a charge for longer than a L/A battery. They have a 5 year stand by life as they are military batteries really then have been commericalised."

Last edited:
  172 5HED
More weight saving????

After opinions on whether to remove all the other s**t like back seats? Will the gains really be noticable for the effort??

White Sti Hatch
Take out the backs seats, strip out all the sound dedning and remove the tar on the floor etc can also go about remving interior panels if you want to.

Isofix bar is a good thing to remove under the back seats btw

172 5HED
Take out the backs seats, strip out all the sound dedning and remove the tar on the floor etc can also go about remving interior panels if you want to.

Isofix bar is a good thing to remove under the back seats btw

Ta mate, back seats are 25kg so there's 35 with battery Im just wondering what total ammount I would be looking at?? Anyone on here done it?

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
this battery mod seems like a great idea, wouldnt mind looking about one myself.

White Sti Hatch
Ta mate, back seats are 25kg so there's 35 with battery Im just wondering what total ammount I would be looking at?? Anyone on here done it?

No ones weight there 197 but as a base my 1.6 comes in at 1160Kgs with nothing removed !

Racing Blue 182
Any feedback on how you're getting on with your Redtop? Did you notice any difference after losing the weight of the old battery?

Cheers.

172 5HED
All good mate, TBH I dont know how much difference the battery and seats will make but with new fronts too and some other bits stripped out it should shift!! apologies to the other lads I didnt see your posts!

box2.jpg

Can be seen here on its side as it is now, usefull little thing!

b/g 182, meg tourer
so if you don't start/use the car for a week will the battery still have enough charge? heard rumors of the small batteries don't like not being used every day or every other day.

172 5HED
so if you don't start/use the car for a week will the battery still have enough charge? heard rumors of the small batteries don't like not being used every day or every other day.

Dunno mate, not tried yet! Icarus says It'll be ok ;)

White Sti Hatch
Dunno mate, not tried yet! Icarus says It'll be ok ;)

wanna do the same with my BMC but unsure about the redtops as my car isnt used EVERY day and cant be fooked with having to leave it on charge if im not using the car !

172 5HED
wanna do the same with my BMC but unsure about the redtops as my car isnt used EVERY day and cant be fooked with having to leave it on charge if im not using the car !

Hmm, well I wish I could say I KNOW it will be ok but I cant, although I will say icarus knows his shizzle.....

Great little mod like!! If you want a hand with any of it....

White Sti Hatch
Hmm, well I wish I could say I KNOW it will be ok but I cant, although I will say icarus knows his shizzle.....

Great little mod like!! If you want a hand with any of it....

I say you leave your car for a couple days ;);) lol

If i need a hand your a tad to far away i think mate ! :dapprove:

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
kev dont think that is an ab65 if that is what you ordered? looks like one of the other models.

How many pennies did you pay for your redtop nova, urrmmmm batt off ebay?

172 5HED
I say you leave your car for a couple days ;);) lol

If i need a hand your a tad to far away i think mate ! :dapprove:

I'll always travel for a felleow modder and night on the lash :approve:

kev dont think that is an ab65 if that is what you ordered? looks like one of the other models.

How many pennies did you pay for your redtop nova, urrmmmm batt off ebay?

No mate its the LRAB65 not the AB65, I was looking at the carbon AB65 but this works just as well and with a proper feed runs just as cold!!

Redtop was about £110 delivered IIRC mate!