ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird speedo and power loss!

Clio Sport 172
Right yesterday i noticed my headunit/stereo wouldnt turn on, so checked fuse and found fuse had gone. Changed it as you do and still didnt work.......

Didnt think much of it until second thing went wrong, not only did my car feel like the gearbox was about to explode but my speedo stopped working....

Today had look gear box and engine oil perfect water level fine no weird noises gearbox was smooth right.....

When i drive the car like this when i have under half throttle it feels like something is rubbing and like the breaks are on a bit but then foot flat to the floor its fine. Now your thinking its got to be mechanical..... when got back from work today had a good check over all was right yet again so left it for old man who is a mechanic on many levels where im just a trainee so went to look see what was wrong with head unit took all out looked fine and left it out and thought right ill check the air filter see if not blocked the fuel lines and any air leaks..... nothing but left air box off went for drive and was perfect thought spot on its to do with air filter or throttle body. Again you must be thinking still mechanical.... wrong i didnt have the stereo in so plugged it back in still didnt work and left it at that all back on then took for another drive again was driving like it was rubbing.... got back looked again and went to talk to old man see what he thought and told him to take a drive in it.... but before anything it hit me!!!!!

The head unit was out when was fine and in when speedo not working and feels like rubbing..... so took headunit back out and told old man to keep putting in and out the black power lead BOOOOOOOM there was my problem when it was plugged in speedo didnt work and felt like had power loss/rubbing and when its all taken out it runs just as new.....

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Ringing some one who been working on renault electrics for years tomorrow hope to get answer off him but thought would share with you and see if anyone else heard about this if not then ill write up on what it was when or if i get this sorted

Cheers

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 172
Yes problem is now sorted diconect the headunit plug the standard one back in and enter the code then just swap it back around and it was fine for me