ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

We've done something Very Silly! - Screenwash in Powersteering

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Between me and my mum, we've managed to do something very silly. :slap:

The Story:
I noticed on the way home from work my windows were caked in crud, splats, smears etc. I tried to spray them but the screenwash had run out.

When I got home I turned the car off and went to prepare the screenwash and water mix (about 1 part wash and 19 parts water as recommended for the current weather on the bottle)

I took the jug out to the car and lifted the bonnet. Looked around for a while thinking hmmm which one is it now...
I saw a dirty yellowish container on the right upper side under and took the lid off. I wasn't sure, so I went and got my mum. I asked her and she looked around and said, "hmm it must be that one then as the other container was coolant."

She started to pour it in and it quickly filled with a reddy pink liquid.
She said "Oh no that's not right!"

Waited for my stepdad to come and he said "you've put it in the power steering fluid part!"

He got a tube and sucked it out so it wasn't overflowing and he said we'll have to keep and eye on it.

I'm abit worried about it and have been reading it up online that others have done the same (In Clios!) and they were told they need it fully flushing out by a mechanic. (Money which I don't really have
frown.gif
)

The car hasn't been turned on or moved, but now I'm not sure if it will be ok or not.

safest bet is to flush it, afaik the steering fluid is a specific viscosity and for good reason... the water and screen wash combo will not be as thick as the steering fluid so I wouldn't risk it

Not if it's a ph1.

Oil floats on water, so it may well have sunk to the bottom of the reservoir before your uncle syphoned it.

If you haven't run the engine yet(which I hope!) you can potentially get away with removing the reservoir and draining the fluid that in it. And giving it a good thorough clean with brake cleaner.

However, if the engine has even been started it will have started to mix it, by pulling the water down the pipe to the lump and it will need a flush.

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Not if it's a ph1.

Oil floats on water, so it may well have sunk to the bottom of the reservoir before your uncle syphoned it.

If you haven't run the engine yet(which I hope!) you can potentially get away with removing the reservoir and draining the fluid that in it. And giving it a good thorough clean with brake cleaner.

However, if the engine has even been started it will have started to mix it, by pulling the water down the pipe to the lump and it will need a flush.

No it's been started up, but I did turn the key just 2 clicks to test screenwash after putting it in the right container, not sure it that counts.
I'll get him to have another look at it wen he gets in and see about draining the reservoir fully.

330i. E30 Touring.
No it's been started up, but I did turn the key just 2 clicks to test screenwash after putting it in the right container, not sure it that counts.
I'll get him to have another look at it wen he gets in and see about draining the reservoir fully.

No, he means as long as you haven't run the engine then you should be OK.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Reminds me of the time I put comfort fabric conditioner into my washer bottle.