ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What’s the Mk2 Ph2 1.2 like

Whats the new-shape 1.2 16V like? In Dynamique trim preferably.

My parents are looking to down-size their specd-up Volvo S40. This is important as I drive the S40 a lot because my dad works abroad and so my mum uses his car! Since my dad hardly needs a luxo-barge any more, that goes to my mum, who in turn doesnt need the S40... so I use it to keep the miles down on my Willy. :D

However, my youngest brother is also learning to drive so now needs a car to use as well. He obviously hasnt got a cat in hells chance of getting insured on the 2.0 Volvo, so Ive suggested we look at a cheaper small car. My parents dont want to buy him a car of his own (like they did with me and my other brother at the time) because he just isnt interested.

So, what sort of toys do the Mk2 Ph2 cars come with? Can you get air-con and so on on them? Not really interested in the performance or sportiness, just in the general ownership prospect.

The alternative is a Pug 206, but Im not a big fan.

Ideally Id be after a 1.2 Dynamique thats about a year or two old. "I" because I usually guide my parents to their cars (but dont buy them obviously!). Most likely from a dealer or large trader as the warranty is important to the folks.

Id try a Dci as well same insurance groups I think and the road fund licence is less and the economy very good should cost you about £500 extra but you will earn that back after 13K plus it will be worth slightly more at resale.

E36 323i coupe

Great little car. Good spec. Quite nippy! Good safe brakes. Ideal for a learner but also good for a more experienced driver too! Of course after a while, you will get the need for more, and buy a faster one! ;)

Never driven a Mk2 Ph2 diesel but am sure they will be good too, as did have a Mk2 Ph1 diesel Clio as a hire car back in 2000. It was very nice. Again - well kitted, and cheap to run, and quite responsive!

if your anywere in kent u can come and drive mine if you like, trying to sell at the mo! extremes have nicer looking seats then the Dynamique!!!! b**ch to clean tho!

It´s just like the 172, but without the seats, the engine. Just kidding.

I have the Privilege, it has a great interior, in my opinion the seats are more confortable than the dynamique. The car all around has great braking power, handling, doesnt give you problems and ir drives quite good for a 1.2.

you can get aircon and sunroof put these are options and it depends on if the previous owner has bought them. The seats are a bit firmer than the lower models but you get some 15" alloys, a spoiler and fog lights which isnt on a standard clio. The 1.2 suspension is standard i think, it was only included in the 1.4 or 1.6. You can get a 1.2 8v for lower insurance but they are very basic indeed - not even electric windows. comes with cd player and 4 airbags and is generally a good motor apart from the rattling/creaking sunroof.

Lionel Richie

This will help sell the car too you Ben, the 1.2 16V uses williams/valver discs and R5GTT pads std (i know you like you valvers and williams)

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

Ive just had a 1.2 dynamique 53 plate for a loan car. Done about 200 miles in it. was a good car, and once it was wound up it would sit nicely at 70/80mph. Just took a little while to get there!! - but Ive driven 2 172 and a 2.0 S40 since trading in my 1.1 Saxo, so Im used to something a bit nippy now.

Prob worth looking at a DCi or a 1.4 16v