ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What’s wrong with my Gearbox

Clio Sport 172 ph2
I recently bought my ph2 172 on Monday and I found last night that when in 3rd the box can pop itself out sometimes under heavy breaking. It’s not done it during acceleration yet and the gearbox selects without crunching. I read online that this could be down to the gearbox mounts being loose or i thought it could be the cables. Any ideas/past experiences with similar problems? I know the gearboxes are renowned for being made from chocolate, but as far as I know this one was rebuilt in the last 5k miles.

Cheers,

Josh

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a loose gearbox mount worn/ damaged gear linkage, or maybe the last gearbox rebuilt done 5k ago was poor. Imo the JC5 is a more than adequate gearbox when running standard power. Iirc I got around 138k out of my gearbox before it needed a rebuild.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yours is a JC5.

Check the dogbone mount first. Powerflex bushes can be had for £30 and are a doddle to fit.

Pretty obvious way to test, while driving along in gear, plant the throttle and watch the gearstick. If it jumps forward or back too much, the mount is worn.

Clio Sport 172 ph2
Yours is a JC5.

Check the dogbone mount first. Powerflex bushes can be had for £30 and are a doddle to fit.

Pretty obvious way to test, while driving along in gear, plant the throttle and watch the gearstick. If it jumps forward or back too much, the mount is worn.

Thanks for the advice mate, I’ll do that test on my way home from work and take it from there. I’m not scared of getting stuck in with fixing any issues anyway.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
As above sounds like worn mounts
Could be misaligned linkage too (they're a linkage rod not cables) but careful adjusting that as it can be a pain, the key is very very small adjustments

Clio Sport 172 ph2
Could be misaligned linkage too (they're a linkage rod not cables) but careful adjusting that as it can be a pain, the key is very very small adjustments

Ahh that’s good then, I’m used to having a linkage rod as that’s what’s on my Mk2 Astra, will have a look this weekend and get some poly bushes ordered.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
There's three box mounts in total, top one under the battery tray, one at lower front and the usual culprit which is the torque one at the lower rear middle (which everyone refers to as the dogbone)
Plus the top drivers side engine mount

Clio Sport 172 ph2

Ahh that’s good then, I’m used to having a linkage rod as that’s what’s on my Mk2 Astra, will have a look this weekend and get some poly bushes ordered.
There's three box mounts in total, top one under the battery tray, one at lower front and the usual culprit which is the torque one at the lower rear middle (which everyone refers to as the dogbone)

What’s the best bet for buying a set of mounts and bushes? Sorry to sound a bit slow but I’m not used to these cars yet!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
In all honesty most stuff I buy I acquire through the classifieds on here, so if your not signed up yet then make it so.
Polybushed dogbone is a good start but if your top engine and gearbox mounts are fubar too then Renault parts direct can supply both i believe and Powerflex also do a very useful insert for the top engine one. You will however get vibration through the cabin on idle so all depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing and intended use for the car

Clio Sport 172 ph2
I’ve replaced the bushes on the lower mount but it’s still popping out of 3rd occasionally...any ideas?

Clio Sport 172 ph2
So I’ve swapped both the top gearbox mount and the dogbone bushes. Fingers crossed. If it still pops out then I’ll drop the gearbox oil this weekend and check for metal flakes...

Attachments

• EF2BC8CD-C140-4596-87C5-453C0472E771.jpeg
    EF2BC8CD-C140-4596-87C5-453C0472E771.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 4D5AE478-07AD-4B98-ABDA-2FF13017BB56.jpeg
    4D5AE478-07AD-4B98-ABDA-2FF13017BB56.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 36A7DC7B-674D-43A5-8163-5A8B35882A20.jpeg
    36A7DC7B-674D-43A5-8163-5A8B35882A20.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 64