ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What about this for the track?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
Smoothed out front bumper, black windows, no mention of belts/dephaser, no splitter.... Chavs wet dream but hardly a track car.

Why spend £3k on that just to track it??

Sub £2000 will get you a 172 Cup and they're the best base for a track car imo.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Smoothed out front bumper, black windows, no mention of belts/dephaser, no splitter.... Chavs wet dream but hardly a track car.

+1. I'm with the babyswede on this one.

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26
Cheers guys, what do you think about doing the van? Brakes suspension etc.. #noclue

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26

I thought the mods on it were suitable for the track, ie suspension bits and exhaust..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
I thought the mods on it were suitable for the track, ie suspension bits and exhaust..

Unless you're the next Ayrton Senna chasing seconds, mods on a clio track car are not worth stressing about as the standard cars (With decent pads/fluid) are AMAZING on track.

​(I'm assuming you're a track day newbie? I may be completely wrong! lol)

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26
Unless you're the next Ayrton Senna chasing seconds, mods on a clio track car are not worth stressing about as the standard cars (With decent pads/fluid) are AMAZING on track.

​(I'm assuming you're a track day newbie? I may be completely wrong! lol)

​Nope you are correct...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
In that case then i'd get a standard (ish) car and mod it as and when you feel the need. Mods are largely irrelevant if you're a crap driver too. A few years ago I had a stripped/caged/4potted 182 and my best mate (proper good driver!) made me look daft in his standard 172 even with the added weight of a passenger!

For example, how do you know if the H&R coilovers fitted to that black one will suit your track driving?

IMO, i'd just buy a cheap but mechanically sound 172 Cup, and get out there and start doing track days. Get some experience before worrying about what mods to do.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
​Only track Ive been on is Aintree Race Course :)

Lol.

They really are very capable in standard form on the track. I did my first 4/5 days with a complete standard car, even the brakes were standard and the car never once let me down.

Don't get me wrong the mods I've done to my car have made it much more of a track weapon and I wouldn't change them but in standard form they are great little cars for having some fun around a track.

As already said I'd be looking for a 172 Cup or a ph1 if its just going to be purely a track car, chuck some DS2500's in and some HC's then go have some fun. Or one that's half done http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?697400-Breaking-Clio-172

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Clio 182
This thread is confusing, I was always under the impression that the ideal track Clio was the one with two CBR engines in the back?!

;)

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26
I was thinking it would be cheaper to buy one with the mods already done as I wouldnt know where to start and would end up paying a fortune for the wrong bits..

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  182cup & 172 racecar
I wouldn't even bother with coilovers etc. A fresh set of OE dampers will be mint. I keep saying it. Save some money, and have loads of fun.

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26
Well you got 4 cars, all of them being not the best at MPG and you're now looking at another car just for track. I'm barely surviving with this one car.
Buy my car then! lol

What you got? what do you think about this? Just been for a look and test drive.. Drives great and its been to Birchdown for a health check..

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Cup In bits
If its a track car then buy a cup with good mechanicals. Exhaust hangers, tyres etc don't pay attention to as there easily changed, make sure its got a good engine and gearbox. Fit new standard shockers, lowering springs, ARB, good disks and pads, bucket seats, harnesses and steering wheel. If you can buy one with some bits done then brilliant.

That's the spec of my road car and it was hassling and passing stripped ph1's with AST's, cams, 888's etc etc etc and I was running road tyres. There's definately a lot to be said for the standard suspension.

Buy a cup at upto 1.5k then mods at 1.5k so that's £3000 and you'll have a really good little car.

Out of curiosity how old are you OP?

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26
If its a track car then buy a cup with good mechanicals. Exhaust hangers, tyres etc don't pay attention to as there easily changed, make sure its got a good engine and gearbox. Fit new standard shockers, lowering springs, ARB, good disks and pads, bucket seats, harnesses and steering wheel. If you can buy one with some bits done then brilliant.

That's the spec of my road car and it was hassling and passing stripped ph1's with AST's, cams, 888's etc etc etc and I was running road tyres. There's definately a lot to be said for the standard suspension.

Buy a cup at upto 1.5k then mods at 1.5k so that's £3000 and you'll have a really good little car.

Out of curiosity how old are you OP?

Im the wrong side of 40.. Mid life crisis lol