ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What car should the missus buy

Right my missus has a 2003 MG TF 135 we are in the middle of buying our first house, she has a £7k loan and used her savings for the rest, it was brand new and not even had its full service! She wants to get rid of her £240 a month repayments! She is hoping to get £14k for it but £6k is going to pay her loan off early so she has £7-8k to play with! Here are a few ideas!

Pug 106 GTi

Pug 206 GTi

MG ZR 160

Saxo VTS

Clio 172/CUP

MX-5

MGF

KA Sport

It must be fairly new 1999 (T) onwards

What do you lot reckon?

Why not get a mint valver for £4k then save the rest / use it on the house / put it in a fix-the-car or rainy-day fund?

The exs M-reg 1.8 16v clio has been reliable as any new car - only broken down once in over 2 years of hard-driving ownership. (Well, when I was driving anyway... ;))

Plus, theyre very good handling cars to drive - it wont snap into oversteer at the limit like the pugs are prone to doing!

i know most ppl will say clio but i think the 106gti or the 206gti nice cars!!

and they are cool so thats my opinion!

vix

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Obviosly the Clio 172/Cup but if not a clio

106 GTi, its the best out of the bunch of cars you listed by a long way.. all the others are crap crap crap..

MGFs are poo there is too many things wrong with them and i know that cos my boyf works with them they leak and sh*t so dont go there!

i didnt say they werent cool i said that they has been loadsa probs with them and a lot of ppl have to take them back after 3 months thats all

just tryin to save them the hassle matey!

;)

Powelly you didnt say they werent cool just POO lol :D

Yeah i was thinking about the 106 GTi, her ideas were the MX-5, KA & MGF he he Could ya tell!!

white16valver she wants something newer pref with warranty, must be sporty, fairly fast and modable!

I tried talking her into getting a willy but she hates driving my car as it is like having a work out!!

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 12 September 2003

Right my missus has a 2003 MG TF 135 we are in the middle of buying our first house, she has a £7k loan and used her savings for the rest, it was brand new and not even had its full service! She wants to get rid of her £240 a month repayments! She is hoping to get £14k for it but £6k is going to pay her loan off early so she has £7-8k to play with! Here are a few ideas!

Pug 106 GTi

Pug 206 GTi

MG ZR 160

Saxo VTS

Clio 172/CUP

MX-5

MGF

KA Sport

It must be fairly new 1999 (T) onwards

What do you lot reckon?
206GTi is the most... "girlly" (no offence to anyone who has one), but I think that women in 172 cup fit quite well! Thatd be my choice if I were a lady!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

I would say go for a 172 but as she has had an MGF, then a 172 would be too big a jump for her, so I suggest that she goes for the intermediate Pug 206 GTi first, then later on she can progress to a cool 172 - in black, of course!

;)

she didnt have the MGF GirlRacer it was the MGTF a lot nicer motor!!

Yeah i like the 172 but they are at the top end of her price range and i must admit from reading the numerous threads they do have a lot of niggly probs which you normally associate with the older cars which is what she does not want! She does not want to be returning to the garage every week with new probs!!

In the 6 months she has had her TF she has not 1 single problem since the day it come out of the showroom!! Fair enought you dont expect to have any probs when you have just paid 21k for a motor but then you guys dont either after spending 12k but i spose that is the difference between Reno & MG!!

There was a PUG 106 GTi Turbo on the auto trader website for £8k and if it is still there we are going to have a look at it this weekend!

smokey

How about a Lupo GTI? Pretty rare on the roads and they can be had for 8-9 K with decent mileage. My bird was looking into one but ended up going for a 106 GTI mainly because it was 2K less than the Lupo she was looking at.

My goodness out of that list you gave its all about the 106 GTi!!!

They look great!

They go great!

They handle great!

If i didnt have my valver id have one!!

GET A 106 GTI!!!!! ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

"What car should the missus buy??"

one with cheap to repair body panels.. *snigger*

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 12 September 2003

"What car should the missus buy??"

one with cheap to repair body panels.. *snigger*
mailto:lol@_KDF">lol@_KDF i better not let her see that! ;)

looks like it is going to be the 106! What sort of performance difference is there between the 106 and my valver, she want a quicker car then me :confused:

VW Potato

my mate recently bought a used, 41k, alfa 156 V6 2.5 SP3 for £6.9k, with leather air con etc etc. Its a honey to drive, and an alternative to the others listed.

g

Astra SXI they seem to be very cheap after a few years.

Corsa Sri theres a 1.8 at the local delearship 2 yrs old for 8k and they have loads of equipment as standard I belive ir cruise aircon and there a corsa so loads of mods for them. Bit of a heavy car though the 1.8SRI didnt exactly go on a diet so performance may not be stunning.

Vauxhall Vectra SRi

Arrr Ive just noticed all I recomended are Vauxhalls

EDD