ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do i choose? R26 or R27

R26
Would like a little ffedback here - have hummed and hawed for months now - do I get an R27 or an R26 - just can't make my bloody mind up - really like the look of the new r27 but the power and extra's of the R26????????

Can someone help me make my mind up - anything that can help me make my mind up - either way going to really miss my titanium 182!!

What are the pros and cons - bloody confused need to make my mind up now though!! Speed, quality, build, fun, engine sound - anything at all!

Thanks in advance

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Personally i don't see how anyone could consider an R27 if they could get an R26.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
drive both and decide which you want on their own merits for yourself.

I'll argue 197 all day over megane. but i am biased and i prefer the 197 to the megane.

But ultimately only you will own it so go and drive them both then decide.

Shed.
drive both and decide which you want on their own merits for yourself.

I'll argue 197 all day over megane. but i am biased and i prefer the 197 to the megane.

But ultimately only you will own it so go and drive them both then decide.

exactly. i like the clio more than the meggy. Your gunna get a lot of mixed opinions in this. Realisticly i think the meggy is the better option but hey id still go with the clio anyday.

R26
Not very easy to get a test drive in either up here - Edinburgh, had been booked in at Renault Edinburgh for a test drive only for them to cancel it on me - manager didn't want any miles on the clock!! typical.

Have driven the 197 standard at Oulton park- really enjoyed the exhaust note but want to know if the R26 exhaust sounds as good?

Also the mercury colour done on the megane - is that the same silver colour that has always been available on the megane 225?

If I could just get an R27 with a Meg 230 engine would I even be typing this - I really doubt it! Plese kkep the input coming as I would like to also hear from folk who have driven both and maybe originally had 1*2's

Thanks for the input guys

BMW M3
Go down to your local WH Smith type store. There is a stand off between the two in one of the mags. Both yellow versions are on the front so hard to miss...

SPOLIER

R26 won but only just...

Fiesta ZS & Passat
I would go for the R26. Better seating position (for me), a bit more power and the LSD.

cup 182 mit stripes
If it's for posing, get the 197. If its performance you're after, get the Megane Cup. With just an exhaust, re-map and charge cooler, the high miler I was in recently was near super-sonic.

Stealth Bomber R26
having had my 172 for 4 years now its time for a change just waiting for the order code from renault for the R26 lux pack then mine will be ordered.
Always thought my 172 was the most fun car to drive until I tried the R26.
Its superb never driven a car with so much grip.
Go for the R26 you wont be disappointed

Mini Cooper S sport
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...R26

The R27 is lovely though, I doubt you'd be disappointed by either.

LY V6 with Recaros
Both are lovely cars, best to drive them both and see which you prefer. I guess if you can afford either then the R26 would be the best option as it's more of a step up from the 182, but it's all down to personal opinion.

Clio 172 mk2
Check out the R26 Vs R27 review in this months Performance Tuner Magazine...quite an interesting read

R26 does come out on top though at the end....I think they found the R27 to 'peaky' in it's power delivery.

Both great cars though...just different.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
R26 definitely. Before you even get to the merits of each car, the Meggy just looks a million times better.

I'd rather have a turbo'd Meggy on the drive than a tubby Clio anyday. ;)

D.

They are both fantastic looking cars, and are both regarded as the best cars in their sector. It really is a tough call, mainly because of the silly discounts available on the Megane. I'd go for the R26 personally.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
DEFO R26!

they both do 'nutter', but the R26 has that superb dual ability to potter around on the diesel-like torque without stirring the box

try both at 50 in 6th and see what happens when you stick your foot down!

but the R26 has that superb dual ability to potter around on the diesel-like torque without stirring the box

And it will cruise in 6th at high speeds with the engine barely ticking over. In this sense I feel the Clio 197 is a one trick pony. Almost ONLY suited for thrashing around the back roads. That's fine of course, but for me that defines how I view the difference between the two cars, and for me it's why the Megane would be on my drive :)

It depends on what you use/want the car for, most of the time i'm in the car it's to get from A-B , so the Meg would be the better smoother drive!

With high leavels of torque and a turbo i think you would have more fun day to day in the Meg.

£400 will give you 260-70 BHP, and they look so much better imo.

Only one winner

leon

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
R26 anyday! no contest... Come on its 2.0 turbo and has nice interior more toys, looks better, sounds better and goes better.

The ride quality is on another level, so much better but can also be a beast if you want it to. Its certainly not as nimble. I think the meggy is just abit more gown up really, but you still get the grin factor.

I dont think you can make a wrong decsion but the smart money is on the meggy.

R26
Thanks for all the input people and the time spent with the explanations - think i am leaning toward the R26 now.

I saw an article on the Top Gear Web Site which suggested that there may be the possibility of an even hotter Megane before the end of run? Do you reckon this is b****cks or can you never say never with Renault? 3.0L Mid Engine layout?

CB600FS
And it will cruise in 6th at high speeds with the engine barely ticking over. In this sense I feel the Clio 197 is a one trick pony. Almost ONLY suited for thrashing around the back roads. That's fine of course, but for me that defines how I view the difference between the two cars, and for me it's why the Megane would be on my drive

That makes the Megane win to be honest, complete animal upto 130/140mph and when it gets there its just cruising. Different story in the Clio sadly. Also as said the Meganes a bit easier to tune aswell for less, i.e remap, intercooler etc.

As for quality and build theres nothing in it no matter what anyone says, both the same. Drive both and pick for yourself but if I had the choice it'd be the R26 no question.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Thanks for all the input people and the time spent with the explanations - think i am leaning toward the R26 now.

I saw an article on the Top Gear Web Site which suggested that there may be the possibility of an even hotter Megane before the end of run? Do you reckon this is b****cks or can you never say never with Renault? 3.0L Mid Engine layout?

I doubt they will go mid engined.Too costly for a start.Probably do a 1 off meg with a few KG's knocked off and a different colour scheme.
White i hope

Clio 172 mk2
but the R26 has that superb dual ability to potter around on the diesel-like torque without stirring the box

And it will cruise in 6th at high speeds with the engine barely ticking over. In this sense I feel the Clio 197 is a one trick pony. Almost ONLY suited for thrashing around the back roads. That's fine of course, but for me that defines how I view the difference between the two cars, and for me it's why the Megane would be on my drive :)

Agree

I think you have to look at what you're going to use the car for....the Megane will definately be better on the motorway & for long distance work.

Golf R
it worries me slightly if you're just going to form your decision around what other people say... it's such a shame that you're so far North and you have a dealer who isn't really geared towards helping you by getting you a test drive in the car you want to buy as i'm sure that'd make your decision a damn sight easier.

I've test driven both... the R26 is the more grown up car of the two IMO... turbo kicks in and nicely transports you to the fun zone. Felt very easy to get into and drive coming from my 182 Trophy. That said, the R27 was also good fun too... yes it needs driving harder to get to the fun zone and it felt a little lacking low down the rev range (easily rectified from what i am reading with a remap), but the Recaros felt miles better and the exhaust note on the R27 was great too.

Either way, as many have said they are both great cars... the Meg is a slightly older design and i havent seen as many good deals available on them since the closure of BMNC. Whereas an R27 at 13995 represents damn good value