ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do we do???

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
Help needed!!

We seen a 182 trophy today and had a go we really like it, do we p/x our 172 cuppie??? And those seats are lush!!!! Help please........
:S

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well, in my opinion the Trophy is probably the natural progression from the Cup.
Dynamically the Trophy is superior due to the rudely expensive suspension and it obviously has more creature comforts compared to the Cup, adding weight but then again its not exactly heavy is it?
I'd say go for it if you feel you need to step up but if you're still gettin your kicks from the dear ol' Cup then is there much need?

The choice is inevitably yours and at the end of the day....well....it gets dark.

It's a 55 reg trophy the only down side is that it has 15k on it :( and our cuppie is a 03 with 16k on but it was so comfy and it's only 8 months old.......but we worry that if we swap will we regret it..........

Monaco Blue Mk2
What would there be to regret?

The only thing I'd regret if I was in your position is the fact that I don't like red!! I secretly think it looks ace though!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
172 cuppy said:
It's a 55 reg trophy the only down side is that it has 15k on it :( and our cuppie is a 03 with 16k on but it was so comfy and it's only 8 months old.......but we worry that if we swap will we regret it..........
15k is a bit high, but means its well ran in, id still go wi it

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well lets put it this way, do you really feel you need to swap for the Trophy and does it feel like the best move without a doubt?

Just weigh up the pro's and cons (something you have doubtlessly already done) and Roberts your fathers brother....

Ok its a rather high miler for its age but thats not the end of the world.
But on the flipside, is the Cup you have a well bolted together example which isn't falling apart now that the 3 year warranty is nearly up?

Ahhh decisions decisions!

yeah we did have one prob with the cup which was lucky to b found 'cause the garage we had it serviced by noticed and luckly it was covered by warranty but that ran out yesturday. The cup is a great car the best we had so far it's the trophy is more disirable and theres only 500 made we worry that we do it and regret what we done...

106 GTi
I would be tempted by a trophy, but would be looking for a lower mileage one as your 172 is so low.

Yeah we think the same but we have never seen a trophy for sale at any garage b4 and all those extra's that you get and with the cup of course you dont get them.....HELP.......

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Any idea which number it is by any chance?

Just wondering cos my mate who works for Renault in Guildford mentioned recently that they sold the Trophy they have had for ages and not been able to shift....the notorious 000/500 no less....with about the same amount of miles on.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well the general consensus is that if its that many miles in that short amount of time, that it could have possibly been a demo car for a dealership before it was sold.
Check to see how many owners its had.
If its 2 then its more than likely that it was pre-reged with Renault and used as a demo.
If its just the single owner then its just a case of its done a lot of miles in a short amount of time!

The only reason 000 took so long to sell was that it was the original press car, in other words all the pictures of Alonso et all were taken with that car....and then it was put around the track...alot it would seem.

I wouldnt bother If I was you... wont be much different from your Cup, I would stick with the Cup or change to another car like a Megane Sport etc... 15k for a 2nd hand Trophy is madness aswell!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
its a hard one but id def go for a trophy but maybe try and find a lower mileage one ?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
How much is the Trophy? If you can cost jusify about £5k+ on seats, an extra 10 bhp, it being a limited edition, and susp, then buy it. It's not going to be all that different from a cup....

Tyson.

Trophy No. 440
As Tyson says, price should be a big factor in your decision as well. If it is going relatively cheaply it might be worth a punt.

If it is pricey then have a look around the net to see whether there are other Trophys available with less mileage for the same money. Or, keep the cup.

You could always take a look at allvehicles.co.uk He is always looking for 172/182s of all types and usually has a Trophy or two for sale

Last edited:
  v6 mk2
i made the jump from a v6 to a trophy and am well impressed, very glad i made the change back to front wheel drive for a wee while!!

Plus i would say the trophy is worth the change for the suspension and seats alone!!
Only problem is the mileage on that car you are looking at!!! i bought my 05 with 1200 miles on it, there are trophies out there with less miles!!!! i would hold out!!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
chris172 said:
15k in 8 months..mmm

ragged!! keep clear. ;););););)

How can you tell its been ragged by the amount of miles its done?

And even if it has surely thats what the cars designed to do? Not be driven like a micra or something.

Cheers for the mixed replies, we have decided to go for it we could'nt get the trophy out of our minds and after being in those seats i could not get comfy in the cup!! It's not just about the seats that we are doing this it's only 8 months old and the colour is fab and it's so rare only 500, we have only ever seen about 2 out and about but to see one in a garage aint gonna be there long we couldnt resist.............

320d
Forgetting mileage you're probably going to be paying 5k extra for an almost identical car... madness IMO

You could just retro fit some H&R coilovers and recaros in the cup for about £1200