ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do we rival!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  172 cup
In terms of other cars, what does the RS 172 and 182 rival. Im fairly safe in my car and havnt pushed the car much since Ive had it.

So just interested to know what people have beaten in their RS's

172DD Cup
can-of-worms1.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You can push your car a hell of a lot more than you think, its just there is only one real way to find out the true limit (maybe buy a cheap ph1 for that experiment ;))

Realistically, i think it is similar to the old (53 reg) type-r, not much faster than a 106 gti, but definitely slower than a cooper s. Thats my opinion anyway.

EP3 CTRs are probably about the best matched car on the road to an RS, identical straight line speed until silly lose-your-licence material speeds, all down to the driver in the twisteeeeezzzzz.

Yozza'd RB cup
My friend has a Rover 216 si but he said hes got a electric turbo and a chip off eBay

I can stick with him till around 35mph then it pulls away

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You can push your car a hell of a lot more than you think, its just there is only one real way to find out the true limit (maybe buy a cheap ph1 for that experiment ;))

Realistically, i think it is similar to the old (53 reg) type-r, not much faster than a 106 gti, but definitely slower than a cooper s. Thats my opinion anyway.

Do you think? Mine consistently edged my brothers Cooper S.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Do you think? Mine consistently edged my brothers Cooper S.

Only been in one, was an old sc'd one and it was rapid. Definitely faster than any normal 1*2 I've driven/been in.

Could be driver though, your a good driver and he might not be?

clio 200
My friend has a Rover 216 si but he said hes got a electric turbo and a chip off eBay

I can stick with him till around 35mph then it pulls away

:eek:must be awesome if its off ebay did it cost a whopping £5 like one of those wicked resistance blocks.

Yozza'd RB cup
It was sarcasim haha! I know enough about engine to know all the sh*te is well . . Sh*te

Realisticly though, my Clio doesnt fully awfully quicker than my old Saxo VTS but then I did fit throttle bodies to it :D

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Only been in one, was an old sc'd one and it was rapid. Definitely faster than any normal 1*2 I've driven/been in.

Could be driver though, your a good driver and he might not be?

My brothers was a super charged. He's also a good driver not that it takes much to go in a straight line lol. It's over the moors in the pissing rain where good driving come in;).
Seriously though maybe it was the delivery that made it feel quicker. Pulls very well from low down, could also be if you were just a passenger? Then cars always feel faster than when driving...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My brothers was a super charged. He's also a good driver not that it takes much to go in a straight line lol. It's over the moors in the pissing rain where good driving come in;).
Seriously though maybe it was the delivery that made it feel quicker. Pulls very well from low down, could also be if you were just a passenger? Then cars always feel faster than when driving...

Thats true about feeling faster as a passenger, but then again ive passengered in enough rs clio's tbf. The mini does pull well from nothing, whereas the clio needs revving a bit to get it going.

Oh, and as for straight line, I've got a video of me trying to set off with the TC on and it just pulls all the power and i look like an idiot crawling along lol. Turned it off and then didn't even get any spin, TC is crap!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I don't really think it matters.

My car puts a smile on my face, looks pretty nice, is comfortable and gets me to where I want to go.

Ergo it doesn't matter what it is or isn't better than.

172 cup

My car puts a smile on my face, looks pretty nice, is comfortable and gets me to where I want to go.

Well its not something that matters greatly to me either, Im just curious.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Well for the sake of it - Mine pretty much level pegged with a BMW 130i. Was a bit surprised as I thought i'd spunk it but they're pretty quick.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

<3 Luke! Ever the voice of reason!

I drive my car slower than my old car 90% of the time as there aren't many left and I like seeing people creak their neck to see what just went past them.

Truth be told i'd never find my cars limits as the speeds i'm willing to put it round are way lower than what it's capable of, iv'e said before it would be a pleasure to let a real driver take my car out with me in it and show me what it was built to do because I know i'll never find it's limits.

Be careful guys. Me and Munson agreed a while back a spirited drive doesn't need to include dangerous driving. :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Exactly! As for setting off from the lights thing. I personally don't like thrashing 1st gear in the clio so rarely do it, they don't feel like they like it. When I do I find the the 'on or off' style of the clutch annoying to feed in for a good start too.

None
My sister's Audi S3(with my brother in law driving it :) ) was a similar match for the 182, you would think the 220 bhp turbo engine would give it the edge but i guess being a 1.8 holds it back a little.

i will say though that the Audi wins hands down in the luxury department, electric everything and full leather interior with a cool red theme on the whole dash at night, made me want one :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I took a megane F1 out for a test today while my car was in for it's free summer check and tbh it didn't feel any quicker than mine. Just a different power delivery.

Took a 250 out and it felt slower than the clios. It was faster but felt slower, were not in competition here so i'd rather feel like i'm going faster than going faster than i feel.

Stagecoach Ticket
My ph1 is about as quick as

Alfa GT bertone
Starlet gt turbo's
golf gt tdi's?
cooper S's
Civic Type Rs

Just look in the same MOT groups will give you a rough idea of power outputs

TBH clio sports are not that quick generally just a fun little hot hatch

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
People say they're not that quick which i guess is the case but at the same time they punch WELL above their weight.
Example would be 99% of people would think a standard WRX would kill a Clio but they don't....

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I think they are.

Go to a trackday and fair enough it will be one of the least powerfull cars there. But on the road you are in the top few percent of cars when it comes to how quick it is.

Stagecoach Ticket
I will get slated for my next comment but after driving alot of different powerd cars and different power types i really cannot see the hype on this site surrounding the RS clio.
Yes its a nice looking car but its nothing massivly special just a run of the mill well handling hot hatch

Stagecoach Ticket
I think they are.

Go to a trackday and fair enough it will be one of the least powerfull cars there. But on the road you are in the top few percent of cars when it comes to how quick it is.

Sorry i do not see eye to eye with you on that one mate.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I will get slated for my next comment but after driving alot of different powerd cars and different power types i really cannot see the hype on this site surrounding the RS clio.
Yes its a nice looking car but its nothing massivly special just a run of the mill well handling hot hatch

True, its a cheap good handling and fun to drive hot hatch and for getting from A-B it's as quick as plenty of relatively high end cars imo. Wouldn't compare it to any super car or heavily modded car though. and as Jenic said it's quite high in the % stakes of quickness.

None
The clio's are quick, it's easy to deny but harder prove and the real point of them is that you can't go quicker for the money, you have to put them in a class with similar priced cars otherwise you could just say they're crap compared to evo's, impreza's, skyline's, porsche's, ferrari's........yeah but non of those can be bought for a couple of grand and the servicing and insurance is crazy on those cars and thats the point.

My ph1 is about as quick as

Alfa GT bertone
Starlet gt turbo's
golf gt tdi's?
cooper S's
Civic Type Rs

Just look in the same MOT groups will give you a rough idea of power outputs

MOT groups?

Stagecoach Ticket
The clio's are quick, it's easy to deny but harder prove and the real point of them is that you can't go quicker for the money, you have to put them in a class with similar priced cars otherwise you could just say they're crap compared to evo's, impreza's, skyline's, porsche's, ferrari's........yeah but non of those can be bought for a couple of grand and the servicing and insurance is crazy on those cars and thats the point.

That comment is bang on the money tbh for the money its right up there in performance. But saying that rating it in the top % of cars on the road in terms of speed is not. Maybe compared to general family run arounds it is but if you look into the petrol heads world its not in the top % at all maybe top half but theres so much that will pull ur pants down.

so my summary is great little hatch for the money
but not the be all and end all in performance hot hatchs

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That comment is bang on the money tbh for the money its right up there in performance. But saying that rating it in the top % of cars on the road in terms of speed is not. Maybe compared to general family run arounds it is but if you look into the petrol heads world its not in the top % at all maybe top half but theres so much that will pull ur pants down.

so my summary is great little hatch for the money
but not the be all and end all in performance hot hatchs

I was comparing it to every other car on the road tbf

Stagecoach Ticket
I respect you thoughts jenic as you are pretty clued up but if your comparing it to all other cars on the road the list of faster better performing cars than a clio 1*2 will be massive

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I respect you thoughts jenic as you are pretty clued up but if your comparing it to all other cars on the road the list of faster better performing cars than a clio 1*2 will be massive

Of course it is but jenic is referring to percentages/ratios of cars. ie how many 911's, M5's are there on the road in comparison to 1*2's, Astra's, Passats .... Look at it like that and they're probably in the top 20%.

Stagecoach Ticket
You would be supprised at how quick alot of old man barges are but without doing some epic research i cannot say if there in top 20% or not

Status
Not open for further replies.