ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do y'all think of this 182?

320d M-Sport Touring
Hi all, first post so be gentle. I've read all the buyers guides, etc on the 182 but I'm curious as to what you think of this 182; particularly the mods done on it. Is there anything I should worry about there? Will they increase the insurance much? Are they easy enough to remove?

Thanks in advance for your input! A hopefully-soon-to-be-182-owner.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
On the face of it it looks ok.

I would want to know who did the belts and see proof they were done.

Also it's decatted so you will need to factor that in come MOT time.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
If it's as he's described that and good car for the money,
especially seeing as the belts and dephser were done 4k miles ago and the mods aren't extreme,
they're pretty much what everyone does to optimise performance and eliminated the cars few weak points.

As far as insurance goes, that really depends on your age, postcode and no cliams,
if you're over 25 then someone like Brentachre will more than likely be cheaper with all mods declared
than the likes of Churchill on a standard car.

All in all i'd say that's a good car at a reasonable price.

320d M-Sport Touring
Also it's decatted so you will need to factor that in come MOT time.

I'm not really after every last ounce of power from the thing - any idea how much it'd cost to have the CC fitted (labour only to fit the part / labour and new CC)?

Thanks to you both for your responses - greatly appreciate it.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'd look for a good second hand cat £50ish (the seller of this car may even still have it) price to fit £20 - £30 at local exhaust place, pretty straight forward when you have ramps.

FF Racing Blue 182
That looks in good shape, however I'm not too good on estimating prices but I'm sure that's very reasonable.

Go for it !

2002 clio 172
I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with 100k+ miles on it. Wouldn't matter what history it had, I just couldn't.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It's had it's belts and dephaser done mate,
as long as it's been done by someone that knows these engines
then it'll be good for another 50k miles or 5 years,
mileage is irrelevant on these engines as long as they've been looked after and serviced regularly.

I'm not really after every last ounce of power from the thing - any idea how much it'd cost to have the CC fitted (labour only to fit the part / labour and new CC)?

Thanks to you both for your responses - greatly appreciate it.

Those mods won't be making big power, the standard Renault exhaust rusts like you wouldn't believe,
so a stainless system is cheaper and wont fall apart,
the Cooksport springs are a very good make and reduce body roll without making the ride harsh,
the braided brake lines are a sensible upgrade and reduce brake fade,
the RS inlets came on a lot of 182's so that upgrade isn't classed as a modification,
and the induction kit can be removed for a standard airbox if you want,
it won't make any difference to the car.

So out of all the mods he's listed, it's only really the induction kit, springs and exhaust that aren't standard,
if you can find a cat in the for sale section then you'll have a car that'll pass an mot
and will more than likely be no different to insure than a standard car,
depending on who your with.

Last edited:
  Rusty Cup
I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with 100k+ miles on it. Wouldn't matter what history it had, I just couldn't.

At 100k the engine will feel nice and loose and will feel noticeably faster than a car with 50k. If you keep them serviced these engine will sail past 200k+

luketheduck

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 182; Octy vRS 245
I was close to going to see this, but I think it has 8 previous owners which put me off a little, and I was holding out for a RB one. The history looks excellent though so I'm sure it's fine for the money.

2002 clio 172
At 100k the engine will feel nice and loose and will feel noticeably faster than a car with 50k. If you keep them serviced these engine will sail past 200k+

Really? That's good to know. Mine is on 72k and I worry its getting a bit high. Saying that, I had a 1.2 dynamique that I abused for 4 years (40k +miles) no oil changes or anything and that was still going when I part ex'd it at 108,000.
Just sounds a lot to me.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Seems decent. And it's very nice to see a half decent advert for one of these. Normally you can tell the cars not worth viewing from the first line of the ad.

But decent pictures and not much text speak in the advert, I'd consider it :)

dan's cast offs.
I was close to going to see this, but I think it has 8 previous owners which put me off a little, and I was holding out for a RB one. The history looks excellent though so I'm sure it's fine for the money.

how soon do you want one if it's an RB?