ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do you think of your clio

Cant really talk for the 172s, but if the build quality and general mechanics of the phase 1s are anything to go off then I wouldnt buy another one. I currently drive a phase one 16 valve, and yes it is a quick car, the power boost that comes in around 4000 rpm is great fun. It handles well, and looks quite aggresive with the flared arches and bonnet scoop. It is a great car to drive when it works. However, it is always going wrong. I bought the car with fairly low miles, a full service history, and every receipt for anything ever done to the car. I would have thought this pointed towards reliability. I have owned the car for 4 months and it has had:

new starter motor, new alternator, new front pads, new rear pads, new rear discs, new rear calipers, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, idle potentiometer, air control valve, power steering pump, wheel bearings.

The car currently needs: new clutch, new gearbox, new heater matrix, new ecu and some serious acoustic damping in the vehicle to sort all the rattles and squeaks.

When i bought the car i checked it over as best I could. The clutch was fine, the gearbox smooth and precise etc. Everything points towards poor engineering from Renault.

Now I know this site is devoted to Clio enthusiasts, and I too love my car. It is the best hot hatch I have ever driven (with the exception of a mates audi s3) and I will be sorry to see it go, but I cant be arsed spending and spending on a car that continues to be unreliable. The Clio is a great car when it works, and if the Clio ever met BMW or Audi down a dark alley, you would have one hell of a car.

@damianshaker

Ok, I know the build quality of your type of car you owns because a friend of mine had it. You are right, it has many problems. My experience from my 172 and the previous owned megane (16v 1600) is that both are excellent cars. No prolems sp far with my mkII 172 and never had a problem with my megane. Its build quality (172) seems to be fair enough and to be honnest I am very satisfied.

BMW 320d Sport

Too bad Damian, sounds like youve had some bad luck to have had virtually *everything* need replacing in the last 4 months. Dont think that points to bad Renault build quality (although Renaults have never been the most solidly built and 16vs in particular have a rep as an expensive car to maintain); more likely your Clio has some other problem underlying it - its easy enough for a previous owner to collect stamps in the service book and still not look after a car properly. Sounds like the Fiat I just bought as a runaround, seemed like a straight motor, but everythings going all at once!

Not all 16v are like that. In fact most arent. Stuff will wear out and its annoying but not all at the same time. To me, that points to a car thats been driven hard in the past and not maintained properly between services. You know how it is, some people do the least possible they can to keep it on the road and save a few quid, others will have everything else checked over and replaced the first time they find even the smallest problem. Looks like the previous owner of yours was the former rather than the latter.

Audi S3

Love it simply put! just wish it wasnt quite so expensive to fix ( had a few bits go recently) but u cant have everything. much rather have it than some box of a golf gti. :D

Matt

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

To be honest I wasnt that impressed with my valver. I probly wouldnt have another - well maybe matbrowns old one!

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

if ud have asked me a few months ago, Id have said excellent. Now I say expensive. STILL not got the damn box fixed.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I love my car, and think it is great, reliability wise its not that bad.

My boss has had her BMW 316i for just over a year from new and it has broken down 3 times, twice today with different problems. German cars are not as good as they used to be, many of the JD power surveys show this, Jap cars are generaly the most reliable cars in.

Do you want German, boring reliability or french fun? (I am German by the way).

Im on my third Clio now (1.4 16v, 172, Williams) so I suppose I must love em. The 172 was starting to piss me off with the rattles and leaks and so on, but it was a fine car and I wish I still had it. But now theres the Williams.....Mmmmmmmmmmm :cool:

Rhys

Honestly? Disappointed! Although I concede that Im in the minority.

The only great thing about my car is the handling and looks. Straight line performance, electrics and build quality leave a LOT to be desired. Its only 2 months old and it rattles from every bit of plastic going - it sounds like a 10 year old banger inside.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

ive been away from mine for 3 weeks now (having only had it a month previously) and when i first clapped eyes on it tonight i had a grin from ear to ear and i hadnt even unlocked it. Nuff said.

By far the best car I could hope to own - needs attention, but so do all cult cars. If I ever sold it, Id only ever buy another on or a Williams!

Really pleased with the 172. I had a Clio 1.2 16V before hand and new that they rattled like a b*****d. My 172 has an orchestra of rattles, fizzes and rumblings but it looks great and gives me a buzz to drive it!!

If/when I eventually sell it I would probably be interested in a Williams 3. Either that or go down the Evo / Impreza route.....

honda accord 2.4 type s

Just like my wife. Can be a pain in the arse and expensive, but for 90% of the time shes spot on, and i wouldnt change her for the world (the car not the wife!!)

Renault need to pay more attention to build quality as rattles and poor paint finish come as std.

Apart from that it is a spot on drivers car

Have had the banging under acceleration and water ingress, otherwise great. Don´t have a single rattle either. Maybe the left hand drives are better then yours?

i have had my 172 for just over 3 months now. the car feels a lot more solid then other small cars out there, and the power is just breathtaking. however, like many of you guys out there, i have had problems with reliability. my mine concerne now is that the clutch is starting to show real signs of wear, and its only done 4000km....hope ren can do something about it..

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Im on my second Clio (1.4 16V, 172) and Ive only had the 172 for 2 months now and I still love it to bits although its starting to feel slow now but I guess Im still getting used to it but I love flooring it first and feeling that slight surge in power you get starting from 4000 then then the kick as you get into the power band at 5400 and it just keeps powering all the way to the red line.

The only things I dont like are the rattling rear seats but Ill fix that this weekend and the slight rattle in the dash near the door