ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What DSLR!

100% Bulls**t!!!!!

no MLU, can't AF with loads of nikon lenses, can't shoot raw and large jpeg, can't get metering with older nonCPU lenses, only 3 AF points, poor raw buffer, no nikon grip option, poor supplied software

not BS if you ask me

no MLU, can't AF with loads of nikon lenses, can't shoot raw and large jpeg, can't get metering with older nonCPU lenses, only 3 AF points, poor raw buffer, no nikon grip option, poor supplied software

not BS if you ask me

For beginners I would say most of those are non-issues, Nikon know this and it's why they cut costs with those features, for the market they are aiming at they are for the most part not a big deal and certainly won't be debilitating to the average user. Whilst the D80 kit is silly cheap at the moment I would recommend that all day long, but usually the D40/60 is more than good enough.

For those spending a couple of hundred they aren't likely to want a £150+ Nikon grip, so the perfectly good 3rd party ones are more than sufficient (Hanhel in particular are very good), very few people are likely to want to use a lens old enough that it doesn't have CPU contacts, the software supplied is no better higher up (D90/300 doesn't come with anything special) and RAW + L JPEG is hardly a deal breaker, I'm guessing 90% use JPEG anyway. The only real issue is the AF motor, but Nikon and the third party manufacturers are moving most things over and in time that won't be a problem.

I had/have a D50 which has all of those 'faults' (apart from the AF motor) and it served me perfectly well for two years. I shot motorsport quite successfully with only 3 AF points, never caused me any issues, and there are 1000s of photographers shooting stunning stuff with D40s/60s.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'd say get a cheaper one and make sure you're actually going to get into taking photos. Very pointless spending thousands on the kit if you're going to stop using it in a few months.

I've just got a 20D myself, I have no idea what most of the features do, but the camera will do most of the work for you to an extent. You just have to find something to take a picture of.

First on the shopping list ahead of any lenses is a legged tripod and a mini mount. You can't do half of the things you might want to without them.

the sony A200 is a better package than the base nikon units and people will out grow it very quickly or get annoyed at the lack of the internal focus if they want to spend more on lenses. you are far better off buying a decent camera to start with. I bought a 300D many moons ago when I first started and replaced it in 3 months because it was too restrictive.

I'm not saying the IQ you get form the camera is anything bad but there better starter camera out there than what nikon off.

For beginners I would say most of those are non-issues, Nikon know this and it's why they cut costs with those features, for the market they are aiming at they are for the most part not a big deal and certainly won't be debilitating to the average user. Whilst the D80 kit is silly cheap at the moment I would recommend that all day long, but usually the D40/60 is more than good enough.

For those spending a couple of hundred they aren't likely to want a £150+ Nikon grip, so the perfectly good 3rd party ones are more than sufficient (Hanhel in particular are very good), very few people are likely to want to use a lens old enough that it doesn't have CPU contacts, the software supplied is no better higher up (D90/300 doesn't come with anything special) and RAW + L JPEG is hardly a deal breaker, I'm guessing 90% use JPEG anyway. The only real issue is the AF motor, but Nikon and the third party manufacturers are moving most things over and in time that won't be a problem.

I had/have a D50 which has all of those 'faults' (apart from the AF motor) and it served me perfectly well for two years. I shot motorsport quite successfully with only 3 AF points, never caused me any issues, and there are 1000s of photographers shooting stunning stuff with D40s/60s.

Mental 172 Cup

not BS if you ask me

i dont know what any of that means tbh!

extremeinferno thanks for your help mate! :)

I just bought a D40 as my first SLR and i am absolutely chuffed to bits with it! only flaw is lack of lenses but tbh as ukaskew said i think all camera companies are going to go this way as they can make the cameras smaller and lighter! and tbh, if your a beginner your not going to have a lense collection already so you can buy the correct ones! they always work backwards with cameras with motors in (D70 etc)

Im thinking perhaps a stickied thread where we can all review our cameras, and just divert people there??

Ill start one if you think its a good idea?

Mental 172 Cup
in that kit you get:
  • Nikon D60 with Nikon 18-55mm VR lens
  • Tamron 70-300mm, f4-5.6 lens for Nikon (5123012)
  • Sandisk 2GB Ultra II SD card (5009554)
in this package here you get the body with a 18-55mm lens and a 70-300mm lens!

so the only bit i miss is from 55-70mm!

is that not a good selection of lenses or not??

Yes it is a good selection! i only have the 18-55 wish i had the other one! the F rating on the tamron is a bit high compared to the Nikon equivalent, can you get it with the nikon 55-200 or the nikon 70-300 VR???

There are lots of AF-S & HSM lenses for the D40 etc. My set up in an 16-85, 50mm f1.4 and next a 70-300. All of which AF on my D60 and cover everything I need!

Yes it is a good selection! i only have the 18-55 wish i had the other one! the F rating on the tamron is a bit high compared to the Nikon equivalent, can you get it with the nikon 55-200 or the nikon 70-300 VR???

The Nikon 70-300 VR is also 4.5-5.6 but have a look at flickr and the results from this lens are excellent.

If you intend to use it in good to good ish light it will be fine!!

Mental 172 Cup

i could try with the 55-200 but never know with the shops!

im gonna go to jessops though and see what they say!

the lense is £117 :D

One has the 18-55 VR, th eother the standard 18-55.

Have owned both and I found the VR version better built, but chunkier and fells better, the VR works and the finish on the lens is textured like the D40/D60 body, where as the standard lens is just smooth plastic.

Both produce excellent images for a kit lens - there up there with the best kit lenses on offer with entry level - if not the best.

I would go for the VR, if your going to get the 55-200 too, I highly recommend the VR version.

The second kit has the VR lens (Vibration Reduction), personally I would save my money and get the cheaper kit, VR is amazing but I don't know what real benefit it has at such short focal lengths.

:)

Considering JJ has actually used them, I would value his opinion more than mine.

;)

;)

The VR was not the deciding issue, and your right - it does not make much of a difference. Build and finish won it for me!!

And I cant talk really - I now own neither!!!

That would give you an excellent combo, also if you buy them all at the same time you get £50 cash back rather than £30.