ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What External HDD?

A4 130
I want an external HDD to back up my pc (mainly photos) but cant choose. Cache size an transfer rates just bore me a little!

Can anyone recommend any? looking to spend up to £100 and preferably want a 1TB drive, can be portable or desktop.

S3, Polo
Is your PC USB 2.0 (Black connector, generally) or USB 3.0 (Blue connector, generally) equipped? USB 3.0 has significantly faster transfer speeds.

As you'll just be using it for storage and not reading/ writing to it constantly, USB 2.0 should be fine.

I use Western Digital Passport drives for day to day and a Netgear Stora NAS at home. So far they've all been utterly reliable (crosses fingers!).

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
I have a 2TB Seagate external HDD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002I3BINU/?tag=cliospnet01-21 this one) which is awesome, and they do a 1TB version for £96 but for the extra £20 you can double your space. You could partition the drive so you have 1 TB for backups and 1TB for general storage which could be an idea :)

On a general note buying hard drives right now is a bad idea as the prices have sky rocketed and remain high because of the Thailand floods. (I bought my 2TB drive for £99 a year ago :eek:)

I generally avoid Western Digital drives as I've had 3 fail on me, but I could just be unlucky with them ;)

For back ups provided that the drive is USB2 and preferably 7200 RPM (Can sometimes be hard to find this out) then you'll be fine.

Listerine & Poledo
Do you want a drive to carry about with you, or one you'll leave at home as purely a backup.

If the latter, they may cost more, but a NAS drive (Network attached storage) would be a good idea.
Then you can access the files from any authorised device on the network... and even remotely over da intawebz!