ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What has happened to my speakers?! :-(

Hi everyone, so this is what happened...

My mate had his iPod in via aux, and the iPod isn't very loud, so the head unit was up very loud, he got out the car and I switched the source to radio and it was so loud! The speakers now crackle and fuzz like horrible.

I have put a new head unit in - still crackling.

Removed tweeters - then found out all the speakers were sounding like this (originally thought it was the tweeters only)

Removed the speakers, used some speaker cable and plugged them into my hi-fi and they sound fine!

so what could of happened? It's happened to the back speakers, tweeters, door speakers. Not my subwoofer though.

My setup..

4 alpine coaxil speakers
Standard tweeters
Fli sub
Alpine head unit

Any ideas :-(

Polo + Micra
well running them in free air will not put any load on them so will sound fine most probably

if you ran them off your hi-fi with them still in place in the car i bet they would sould like they do off the head unit

well running them in free air will not put any load on them so will sound fine most probably

if you ran them off your hi-fi with them still in place in the car i bet they would sould like they do off the head unit

will try this at the weekend lol, going to also put my hifi speakers in the car see if they make the same noise

Polo + Micra
tbh i wouldn't waste your time

the amp inside your headunit was probably clipping it's tits off but that won't harm the amp but will destroy your speakers

Beaten up 182
You can usually feel if a speaker is 'blown', domestic speakers don't really tear. What happens is the back of the cone hits the inside of the magnet and deforms it and the cone can no longer move freely in and out of the magnet. If you gently and evenly press the cone it should move freely and return to it's starting position. If it doesn't move freely the cone is deformed, if it doesn't return to it's starting position the damper is shot which is usually more down to age.

As I thought... Fitted new speakers and it made no difference! Any one got any ideas?? Just to recap what's been tried so far :)

Old head unit and old speakers - fail

New head unit and old speakers - fail

New head unit and new speakers - fail

Old head unit and new speakers - fail.

Don't know what to do?:s

Westfield, 182, 200
That's wierd, got to be a wiring problem in the car.

Sounds as if you have an after market head unit? Does it have a seperate an amp for the speakers? Or anything else like a hands free kit fitted?

I work at junction 4 on the M42 if you get stuck.

Ian.

That's wierd, got to be a wiring problem in the car.

Sounds as if you have an after market head unit? Does it have a seperate an amp for the speakers? Or anything else like a hands free kit fitted?

I work at junction 4 on the M42 if you get stuck.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Yes I have 2 aftermarket head units as I upgraded a few weeks ago, all factory connections as I have a dynamique. No amp, powered from the head unit.... Do u work in car audio?

Westfield, 182, 200
Trained as an automotive electrical engineer at Land Rover back in the 80's and worked on Range Range ICE in 1990!

Work as a maintenance engineer now for the large supermarket just off junc 4!

Got to be something really daft, the speakers are obviously fine, i can't see the wiring being faulty from the back of the head unit to the speakers, got to be so ething in the plug in the back? Have you got a steering controls adaptor?

Trained as an automotive electrical engineer at Land Rover back in the 80's and worked on Range Range ICE in 1990!

Work as a maintenance engineer now for the large supermarket just off junc 4!

Got to be something really daft, the speakers are obviously fine, i can't see the wiring being faulty from the back of the head unit to the speakers, got to be so ething in the plug in the back? Have you got a steering controls adaptor?

Nah mate no steering control adapter. One thing I did notice was when I waggled the cables the stereo was going off and on, but I can't get it to do this now

Polo + Micra
it could be a wiring fault on the power side of the head unit.

does it sound blown at all volume levels or just when you start to turn it up louder?

Polo + Micra
ahh that would point to the voltage not being high enough and it clipping earlier than it should.

i'd be definitely be looking at the wiring supplying power to the unit

ahh that would point to the voltage not being high enough and it clipping earlier than it should.

i'd be definitely be looking at the wiring supplying power to the unit

Why would it just randomly mess that up tho :-/ is it easy to replace the that? My mate has a multimeter should I get him round?

Polo + Micra
the fault will more than likely be at one of the connections behind the head unit

the connections can be crap and that burst of current might of pushed it over the edge

you said it was going on and off when you was moving the cables so that's where i'd be looking

the fault will more than likely be at one of the connections behind the head unit

the connections can be crap and that burst of current might of pushed it over the edge

you said it was going on and off when you was moving the cables so that's where i'd be looking

Yeah but I can't get it to do this since I reckon the connector wasn't in properly, what should the voltage reading be from the multi meter?

Looks like a dashboard off jobby and cable tracing then :(

Polo + Micra
you'd be looking for over 12v with the engine running and then turn it up and make sure it doesn't drop below 12v.

you will wan't to try and test it right on the back of the head unit.

i'd say you won't need to go diving into the dash at all

you'd be looking for over 12v with the engine running and then turn it up and make sure it doesn't drop below 12v.

you will wan't to try and test it right on the back of the head unit.

i'd say you won't need to go diving into the dash at all

So i would need to test whilst it's plugged in?

Why wouldn't I need to go the dash? (Sorry for all the questions, appreciate the help!)

Polo + Micra
yeah will need to be plugged in and on as you will only get a true reading (as you only get voltdrop once you start pulling current)

the chances of the fault being buried in the dash highly unlikely

yeah will need to be plugged in and on as you will only get a true reading (as you only get voltdrop once you start pulling current)

the chances of the fault being buried in the dash highly unlikely

Right will get some readings and go from there I guess, say the voltage was low where would I go from there?

They split the frequencies between the tweeters and mids (door speakers) to deliver treble/mid/bass to the correct speakers. They're in the dashboard loom somewhere but I'm not sure where. The standard renault front speakers are components :)

So there are standard renault ones of these b******s:( what about the back speakers? There shot too

Polo + Micra
the standard renault speakers only have a HPF and that is built into the tweeter.

nope not at all

Took the dashboard off today plugged it all in and it worked! Then it randomly went all crackly again (without refitting dashboard) got a multi meters on it, constant 12V across the whole loom. With the engine and and at a range of volumes. Any ideas guys? My mate reckons it's a bad earth?