ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is exposure?

Fiesta ST-3
Im a camera Noob so could somone please explain how to adjust exposure? Several people have said if you adjust your exposure the shot would look better. I apprechiate im a rem and thankyou for you time :rasp:

1.2 Dynamique billabong
exposure is basically made up of three elements, the amount of light allowed into the lens (aperture) the amount of time the light is projected on to the film/sensor (shutter speed) and the sensitivity of the film/ sensor (iso). it is the balance of all three of theses elements which will determine whether or not the image is correctly exposed

Fiesta ST-3
Dont say that man, everyone has to start somwhere :( Im ok on the aperture and s/s its just iso i need to get my head round now. Thanks for the posts tho.

Well if you can do those, then you can do the exposure.

If it's too bright, either make your aperture number bigger so it lets in less light or make the shutter speed faster, so again, it lets in less light.

If it's too dark, either make your aperture number smaller so it lets in more light or the shutter speed slower, so again, it lets in more light.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Dont say that man, everyone has to start somwhere :( Im ok on the aperture and s/s its just iso i need to get my head round now. Thanks for the posts tho.

iso has basically come from film cameras mate, in the days of 35mm slrs etc, to be able to shoot in crap weather you would use a film which is more sensitive to light (the downside being higher grain). changing the iso on a digital camera has the same effect, it enables the sensor to be more sensitive to light, so enabling you to still shoot in low light conditions (the downside being you get more noise). the difference is that film grain can look 'artistic', digital noise on the other hand just looks shite

Fiesta ST-3
I have a Cannon Powershot SX10 IS. In regards to changing the shutter speed if too dark etc Revels, what i find is that the pictures on digital screen on my camera come out alot darker than those when i stick them on my laptop. What seems to be a good picture on the camera looks way bright on the computer.

But thanks for all the help, its one big learning curve for me.