ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What kind of exhaust do I need?

As mentioned previously in another post, my exhaust fell off on Friday leaving me with a deafening 140 mile drive. Im quite keen to get this sorted by the end of the week, so I want to know exactly what I need so I can get some accurate quotes. Renault are out of the picture as they are so expensive, plus the original exhausts are so poor. Im looking at a Powerflow system although im unsure whether to get a hidden pipe so it remains standard or have the bumper cut into for a nice tailpipe.

Anyway, here is where the exhaust came apart:

IMG_2293.JPG

This shows the rest of the exhaust system:

IMG_2295.JPG

And here is the exhaust sitting in my boot:

IMG_2296.JPG

So.. what do I actually need? Do I just need another backbox or do I need a cat back system? I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible and am also leaning to keeping it as standard looking as possible. I also do not want a noisey exhaust. Any thoughts?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mada05 said:
As mentioned previously in another post, my exhaust fell off on Friday leaving me with a deafening 140 mile drive. Im quite keen to get this sorted by the end of the week, so I want to know exactly what I need so I can get some accurate quotes. Renault are out of the picture as they are so expensive, plus the original exhausts are so poor. Im looking at a Powerflow system although im unsure whether to get a hidden pipe so it remains standard or have the bumper cut into for a nice tailpipe.

Anyway, here is where the exhaust came apart:

IMG_2293.JPG

This shows the rest of the exhaust system:

IMG_2295.JPG

And here is the exhaust sitting in my boot:

IMG_2296.JPG

So.. what do I actually need? Do I just need another backbox or do I need a cat back system? I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible and am also leaning to keeping it as standard looking as possible. I also do not want a noisey exhaust. Any thoughts?

if your keeping costs down, something like a mgnex backbox will fit to that, but you ill have a twin tail pip on show, iirc the magnex back box is around 120

Lots of Alfas
You should just get away with a new backbox, what year is your car, is it a Dci? If you go powerflow make sure you make it clear you want a quiet one, I had a new box fitted on wed and its too bloody loud for my liking so im taking it back tommorrow. I had a small chrome tip as didnt want a hidden one but wanted it to look subtle.

IMG_1360.jpg

Sorry I should have mentioned before, its a 52 plate 172 Cup.

I do want to keep costs down, a full system or performance system is of very little use to me to be honest. I don't know how long I will keep the car, maybe just for the summer or maybe longer!

A backbox would be ideal, if you don't mind me asking dave, how much was yours?

1998 BMW e46 323i
CES UK do a rear OEM silencer for about a ton. CHEAP AS CHIPS. I replaced my rear silencer when it dropped off, with a MAGNEX or something through flow jobbie. Worst thing I ever did. Ears bled for six months before I decided enough was enough and went to CES. Under half the price of Renault. Also got some rear brake pads while I was there for a tenner!

The rear silencer joins your mid-section behind the cross member/axle thing. You'll probably need the joint as well.

http://www.cesuk.com/

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
are you sure? i was under the impression that the renault sports exhausts a reno only, as nobody makes an aftermarket?

Honda Civic 2.0 TypeR
if the end pipin was a tad longer just wack this on the end

detail_tunerfx_tornado_tip.JPG

as shown below here
mog-exhaust-tip.jpg

f**k the back box, your car wud be loud as fook

However i do warn you its illigal :)

Last edited:
  1998 BMW e46 323i
SURE. I thought the same thing mate. Kwik fit will flog you one though. I'm betting they get theirs from CES too, and Kwik Fit were more expensive than Renault last time I checked.

CES supply everyone, it's exactly the same as the Renault item. The bore is identical, mates up with the Renault mid section nicely. Identical, apart from the price. It's been sat on my 172ff for months now.

Brake pads at 25% of Renault's Stealers too.

Give them a call mate.

Wowsers, some more things to consider.

I do not want a loud box, the original was spot on for me. A straight through type exhaust will be exactly the same as it is now, I will try and get a sound clip of how mine sounds now :p

That CES place sounds promising. Obviously I would need it fitted so I may enquire about a price tommorow. I just want something guranteed to get me through the next 10-20k miles, really am not too interested in something that is visble which subsequently affects my insurance even more (already have 17" Speedline 2120's declared :S)

So, is the general consensus that a backbox will suffice?

1998 BMW e46 323i
your joint is behind the axle, like i said. as long as the mid section is ok, all you'll need is a silencer and preferrably a new joint.

Oh, why don't you fit it yourself? I fitted all my exhaust, manifold back, myself. With a little help from my step dad.

If you buy a silencer from a motorfactors you may find it difficult persuading a garage to fit it for you

Thanks for the details John! Just called and got a quote of £108.41 inc delivery. Also got quoted for rear discs and pads plus the box for £165.23 all in :) Seems cheaper than powerflow, they wanted £180 for an exhaust which would be concealed so there wouldn't really be any benefit in doing this.

How does the exhaust come from CES? Do I need to weld it on or is it just a case of cutting the pipe to get rid of the rusted end, attaching the exhaust and bolting it on?

1998 BMW e46 323i
the joint to the mid section is behind the axle. like i said, as long as the mid section is okay you just undo the joint, which should still be there, (probably wise to renew this anyway) from the looks of the photo, put some sealant on and tighten the join again.

the silencer has one hanger, behind the rear bumper. it's awkward, but couldn't be simpler.