ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What oil/brand to use

Clio 182
Got a warning light about my oil being low today so checked it and it was right. Which is the best oil to use and also how much should I buy if its at this stage?

Thanks

DMS

A thirsty 172
5w40 fully synthetic is the recommended stuff, although you can use 0w40 or 10w40 if you can't find any.
Any brand is fine but I'd avoid the cheapo Halfrauds stuff.

Plus it takes 5.1 litres to fill the car. If the oil is at the bottom mark on the dipstick it takes exactly one litre to get it up to the top mark. Chances are you only need one litre so getting a 2 litre bottle will see you right.

Clio 182
5w40 fully synthetic is the recommended stuff, although you can use 0w40 or 10w40 if you can't find any.
Any brand is fine but I'd avoid the cheapo Halfrauds stuff.

Plus it takes 5.1 litres to fill the car. If the oil is at the bottom mark on the dipstick it takes exactly one litre to get it up to the top mark. Chances are you only need one litre so getting a 2 litre bottle will see you right.

Perfect mate thank you!

Iceburg 172FF
i told you this the other week sunshine, sewells do a 5litre of millers of 5w-40 for about 28quid dude when need to do a change and do litre bottles aswell if pop in when you been at work

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I always try and use Silkolene Pro 5w-40........Opie oils usually have good deals on it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Assume you left the car atleast 10 mins after stopping the engine before you checked the oil?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
If you can get hold of the Titan Fuchs range - go for that. I've used it with no issues. Oh an 5w 40 fully syn is what you need.

Clio 182
Assume you left the car atleast 10 mins after stopping the engine before you checked the oil?

Yeah went into the office at 8 and checked it properly at 10.30 also left it for an hour before topping up.

Sorted now guys cheers

I use the cheapest 10w40 I can find, just under £7 for 5 litres. Used it all last year, 10k miles and 12 trackdays at 6000rpm+ all day long, didnt even burn half a litre throughout the year.

Fiesta ST2
Just wanted to say thanks guys for the info! me father works in a motor factors 5litres of titan fuchs for £11 sweet!

Titanium 182
I just did a change with 5w40 Mobil S fully synthetic.

Got a pack from opie oils for the 182, 6 litres and an oil filter. £50-60ish including delivery I think.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Last time I went into Renault for their Elf Evolution 5w40 oil they didn't stock it anymore and had the Elf Evolution 5w30 instead.
It's a fuel efficient one rather than a performance oil allegedly

Lionel Richie
Last time I went into Renault for their Elf Evolution 5w40 oil they didn't stock it anymore and had the Elf Evolution 5w30 instead.
It's a fuel efficient one rather than a performance oil allegedly

and the wrong grade for the car, DO NOT USE!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No! ^ You could run a clio on CrispNDry if you wanted!!!

15w50 is wrong for the clio, but i've done 20k miles and it's been great! :) I have no desire to change regardless of advice.

"Navy" N17 TWO
It has the "used by Renault F1 Team" sticker and all the blah blah the Evolution 5w40 had on the bottle too lol

Guy told me it was fine, as long as I did a flush before putting it into the car and not topping up - well duhh!

Bus w**ker
Just means that at 100°C the 5w30 will be thinner than the 5w40. I wouldn't personally use it as it's not the right grade for the engine, but I doubt your car will go bang from normal driving and using it for a few days.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Rang Renault about them giving me the 5w30 oil I said I wasn't going to use it for my car.

Had the cheek to ask who told me not to use it lol I said a florist!

They had the 5w40 back in - so was a straight swap :)
Just goes to show you that some people can be more helpful than others - even at the "stealers"

None
I recently used the halfords 5w-40 fully synthetic oil when i did mine, working great so far :)..........and came with a free professional screwdriver set..........to go with the other 500 screwdrivers i already have :eek: